Offaly vs. Waterford 2017 Hurling Qualifier

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly vs. Waterford 2017 Hurling Qualifier

Post by joe bloggs »

frankthetank wrote:According to any member of the Offaly senior panel that I have spoken to, Eamon Kelly was held in the highest regard.

He introduced the hurlers to GPS tracking and had a very professional setup with him.

However the manner of his departure (regardless of who you believe), and where he subsequently resurfaced, still leaves a sour taste.
We got the GPS in last year as croke park funding became available to be spent on this and other improvements for our set up. I wouldn't necessarily credit Kelly with it. Any players I spoke to didn't think be was anything special.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

GPS is no big deal. It's just a tool to measure work and was covered under funding available from Croke park as stated. What about real game changers? Improvements in fitness, game understanding and game plans, getting best players out playing, quality of coaching and player buy in as a result. That is your measure of good manager. While Kelly seemed to be well organised, he hasn't improved his current crop a whole pile. Organisation is a minimum requirement at this stage but we seem to clap a lad on back if they are!
jimbob

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

joe bloggs wrote:
frankthetank wrote:According to any member of the Offaly senior panel that I have spoken to, Eamon Kelly was held in the highest regard.

He introduced the hurlers to GPS tracking and had a very professional setup with him.

However the manner of his departure (regardless of who you believe), and where he subsequently resurfaced, still leaves a sour taste.
We got the GPS in last year as croke park funding became available to be spent on this and other improvements for our set up. I wouldn't necessarily credit Kelly with it. Any players I spoke to didn't think be was anything special.
Eamon Kelly introduced a modern professioal set up but his man managment skills was terrible and when things went wrong he hung the player out to save his own ass.
A good manager gets the best players on board and gets them to hurl to their potental , by any measure Kelly and Ryan failed to do either .

Kelly walked because of he couldnt deal with the cb ,he wasnt sacked but the word on the ground is K Ryan will be sacked at the next cb meeting because all the hurling clubs are horrified at Kevin Ryans vision for Offaly hurling.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Great to see Brian Gavin and P Fleury are part of the group reviewing appointment of hurling managers at minor U20and senior .Both know Offaly hurling

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

sam88885a wrote:Great to see Brian Gavin and P Fleury are part of the group reviewing appointment of hurling managers at minor U20and senior .Both know Offaly hurling
I have to say I disagree about Pat Fleury. He lives in Ahane in Limerick and is removed from the day to day workings of Offaly hurling.

Also I haven't seen him at any Offaly matches this year. Now he may have been them at all for all I know but I never came across him.

If they wanted to get someone from the 80's vinatge to be on this review committee why not go for someone like Ger Coughlan who's actually been managing a club team in Offaly over the last few years?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't know either Pat or Ger personally, so this isn't a comment on either of them - however in the general case, perhaps it's better to have someone who knows hurling generally, rather than someone who knows Offaly hurling? Adherence to traditional "Offaly hurling" ways and methods hasn't exactly been a fruitful policy in recent years.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

But the review is of the performance of this year's management teams, not of putting in coaching structures of the modern game, player pathways etc.

That's why I feel it would be better to have a local figure (involved in club management preferably) involved as they would have a better feel of what is going on.