Looking for help on an old Offaly team photo

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Looking for help on an old Offaly team photo

Post by ryot »

I recently came into possession of a framed photo of an Offaly team which appears to date from the Thirties or early Forties. It is quite good quality. I just opened the frame to check the back of the photo and its inscribed “Offaly v Meath 7/7/1927”

It came from an elderly man in Dublin who was a native of Tipp and he stated that his brother was a member of the team. The surname is Cahill..

Anybody out there able to add any information ?

The photo is available to be donated to an official Offaly archive , if such exists.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Looking for help on an old Offaly team photo

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hi ryot, hope you’re well.

John Clarke’s summary of 1927 published in the Midland Tribune in January 2000 read as follows – “Footballers make their best effort to date for Leinster honours. With wins over Laois (4-4 to 2-1), over Meath on a replay by 2-3 to 0-3, and Longford (2-7 to 1-2), they qualify for provincial final for the first time. Kildare, however, after leading 12 points at half time, just hold on to thwart Offaly (3-3 to 2-3).”

Offaly were graded Junior for the entirely of the 1920s, and it was 1930 before they opted to affiliate a Senior football team.

Rhode and Tullamore were the top clubs in the county at that time. So I had a look at the recent Tullamore GAA publication The Blues, a 125 year Photographic history of Tullamore GAA club 1888 – 2013 and Rhode GAA Club’s Centenary history.

Tullamore won three Senior titles in a row 1924, ’25 and ’26. The book includes a team photograph from that era which includes a Tom Cahill. Rhode themselves won there in a row in 1927, ’28 and ’29. There are no Cahills listed on a Rhode team during that time, so perhaps Tom Cahill might be your man.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

POTH

I just scanned the photo & emailed it to you.

John Clarke's reference to a Tom Cahill seems to confirm the identity of the source of the photo and his inclusion in it. It would also be reasonable now to accept that its the 1927 team v Meath, in Tullamore, whether that be the draw or replay.

Some of my family contacted John some time back and may have shown it to him and a note attached says that John believes the photo was taken "outside Dolans Shop"

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

Offaly Team Photo 1927.jpg
Offaly Team Photo 1927.jpg (485.43 KiB) Viewed 7327 times
Photo is attached