Laochra Gael - The Lowry's

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Laochra Gael - The Lowry's

Post by True Red »

Really enjoyed this on TG4 on Wednesday evening.

Impressive men and great times for our county. Will we ever see them again?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Laochra Gael - The Lowry's

Post by SearingDrive »

True Red wrote:Really enjoyed this on TG4 on Wednesday evening.

Impressive men and great times for our county. Will we ever see them again?
Fascinating programme, really enjoyed the footage of the games. The football was completely different than today, faster, tougher. Forwards stayed in their positions, unlike today where they run all over the field, obsessed with hand passing.

The other thing was how Offaly kept coming back year after year, going a little further until they won a famous victory in 1982. The Offaly supporters played their part too, after the1981 loss to Kerry they turned out in great numbers in Tullamore to welcome the team. No wonder we are the faithful county.

Will those days return, maybe, but the bigger counties seem to be way ahead of the rest. Offaly badly need success at underage level, to give them a platform to push on.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Very enjoyable, more so than I expected I would. Brendan Lowry seems a right character.

Is St Cynoc's Terrace the one out beyond the Church on the left hand side as you head towards Belmont?

Great to see the rarely seen footage of the matches. I didn't know there was footage of the Dubs' 1985 visit to Tullamore in existence. And I haven't seen Matt's goal against Dublin in 1980 for a long time. Again, great to see.

Still, a pity they didn't have Brendan's goal in the 1981 Leinster Final to show. Brendan had great feet, looking at his kicking action, there was hardly a swing at all. His goal against Galway in 1982 was kicked left footed!

It's on TG4 again this Sunday at 5.40pm.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Superb show. Would make you want to just get out and train again for another one! http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5 ... dlft=10955
jimbob

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Very enjoyable, more so than I expected I would. Brendan Lowry seems a right character.

Is St Cynoc's Terrace the one out beyond the Church on the left hand side as you head towards Belmont?
That's it, POTH.