Offaly SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will lift the Sean Robbins cup this year?

Rynaghs
38%
Belmont
3%
Lusmagh
No votes
K/K
29%
Clareen
12%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
6%
Clodiagh Gaels
No votes
Coolderry
6%
Shamrocks
No votes
Kinnitty
3%
Tullamore
3%

Total votes: 34

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly SHC

Post by greenairfield »

If games were in SBP we wouldn't have that issue lone shark wouldn't we ?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:If games were in SBP we wouldn't have that issue lone shark wouldn't we ?
And if the games were in Crinkill, we wouldn't have it either. But they're not - our biggest games are in our county ground. That's hardly unusual.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

What is unusual is the vast majority of people who go to those games don't want them there.

And that 3 of the 4 clubs who reached the county semi-finals last year didn't want to play them there either and officially requested they be moved.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote:What is unusual is the vast majority of people who go to those games don't want them there.

And that 3 of the 4 clubs who reached the county semi-finals last year didn't want to play them there either and officially requested they be moved.
We've enough schyte going on in Offaly GAA without going back over this again, so I don't think we need to dance this same dance all over again. It's as simple as this.

It's easy say that "the vast majority of people" don't want them there. The truth of the matter is that when games were moved to Tullamore, official attendances increased. They increased for club games, for underage games, for Walsh Cup matches, for everything. The numbers do not lie.

I will happily concede that in 2015 and 2016, due in no small part to some promotion and good work from the Birr club, we've got to a stage where there is some evidence (not conclusive evidence, but some evidence) to suggest that there might be a boost to attendance numbers of between 5% and 10% available for moving games to SBP. If it were up to me, I'd be in favour of playing the county semi-finals in SBP in 2017 as a trial, and then if the attendance is above 4k (it was a handful below that in OCP in 2016), you could look at playing the 2018 county final there, subject to Birr getting the ground cleared to safely host 7500 people or more, and a guarantee from the local Superintendent that there would be no demand to make the game all-ticket, which has been proven to hurt attendances badly.

However these numbers do not correlate to "The vast majority" whatsoever.

And it is also fair to say that the time to talk about where to play games like this is not with less than a fortnight to go to the throw in, it's early in the year. It must also be noted here too that last year represented a glorious chance for people from South Offaly to get on the county board and to step in and be part of making constructive changes from the inside. This chance was not taken.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

How can we go in on the board and help offaly hurling when it is full to the neck of lads who don't want to help it or not capable of helping it.

You try defending them and the OCP issue at every chance, and after what they done to Flanagan along with the county hurling review team stepping down, we are a jokea and they are a disgrace

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

There are a lot of different issues at play, and it's entirely possible to take a more nuanced view than just saying the County Board is always at fault.

With regard to what's come out in the last couple of days, it's fair to say that a lot of that is indefensible. That doesn't mean that every decision they've ever taken is just as bad.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I wasn't a fan of the revamp of the Offaly SHC for 2018 onwards when in it was first mooted but analysing this weekend's results it seems clear that change is in fact needed.

Over the course of the six games there were two competitive games. The first between Belmont and Shinrone, saw Belmont being easily the better team and will be wondering how they only won by 3 points.

And the second between Kilcormac / Killoughey and Kinnitty saw only a point separate the teams at the end and being truthful either team could have won it.

However the issue lies with the other four games involving the perceived 4 weaker teams. The closest one of these teams got was 18 points (St Rynaghs 3-21 Tullamore 0-12) and the average winning margin in the four games was 23.25 points. This is not how a championship is supposed to work.

The 8 team SHC for 2018 is justified, the only question remains is how will it be structured??

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote:I wasn't a fan of the revamp of the Offaly SHC for 2018 onwards when in it was first mooted but analysing this weekend's results it seems clear that change is in fact needed.

Over the course of the six games there were two competitive games. The first between Belmont and Shinrone, saw Belmont being easily the better team and will be wondering how they only won by 3 points.

And the second between Kilcormac / Killoughey and Kinnitty saw only a point separate the teams at the end and being truthful either team could have won it.

However the issue lies with the other four games involving the perceived 4 weaker teams. The closest one of these teams got was 18 points (St Rynaghs 3-21 Tullamore 0-12) and the average winning margin in the four games was 23.25 points. This is not how a championship is supposed to work.

The 8 team SHC for 2018 is justified, the only question remains is how will it be structured??
Same as the football
Good Luck

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

frankthetank wrote:I wasn't a fan of the revamp of the Offaly SHC for 2018 onwards when in it was first mooted but analysing this weekend's results it seems clear that change is in fact needed.

With extra teams being relegated this year it has created a situation where a number of teams are putting no effort into the remaining hurling championship games. I know for a fact it has been even brought up in more than one of the clubs to award walk overs. Dreadful that it is even being mentioned but if remaining games are meaningless and there is no point in risking players picking up an injury and missing important football championship games.

Aside from duel clubs having to consider the football, it must be impossible to get any motivation in a squad where the teams have nothing really to fight for as they are going to be relegated anyway. So I think the results are actually going to be a lot worse than the actual gap that is between teams.

On the other subject, can we please stop cribbing about having to travel to Tullamore. The standard and I mean the woeful poor standard of hurling in the county is a far bigger concern and would be much better if the lads stirring crap put their energy into that if they have so much time on their hands.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Could only make two matches at the weekend so had to pick carefully.
Picked Shinrone vs Belmont and KK vs Kinnitty.
All i can say is Bingo looking at the results.

Shinrone vs Belmont was a good game. Both are a lovely teams to watch, Both playing to there strenghts Shinrone trying to use there pace and Belmont trying to use there power.
Some lovely scores from both and trying to use the ball well.
The sendings off change the game. I have to admit both were correct but both could have been let go.
Best player on the field was Damien Egan in the 1st half. this guy when he confident he was a excellent players.
If i was belmont manager i be ring everyday to tell him how to great a guy he is.
Overall really enjoyed the game.

Kilcormac/Killoughey Vs Kinnitty
this was the other end of the scale. It was a shocker of a match. both team had a game plan and stuck to it. the problem lied in the game plan didn't suit the players. which turned the match into a collection of mistakes.
This match was everything that wrong with Offaly hurling. Players in space trying to run at players instead of using the ball well. stupid handpass to players under pressure instead of looking for a player in space. Poor striking. Poor shot selection.
Just Poor. This was more like a Junior D match in Leitrim than Senior hurling in Offaly.
I'm not pick who i though was the best player cause they were all rubbish but i'll note that was down more to the game plan than the players.
I weep for the future of Offaly hurling if these management teams continue to get Offaly hurlers to play this Stupid style of hurling.
Kilcormac/Killoughey game plan had the hallmark of a coach that don't have a individual though in his head. Coaching the team to play to a text book instead of coach what in front of him.
Kinnitty game plan was so short that they missed the players standing on there own on the other side of the field.
Overall Kinnitty lost this game instead of Kilcormac/Killoughey win it.
This was the worst game i've ever seen in Offaly senior hurling.
“Common sense is not so common.”

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

LooseCannon wrote:

Same as the football

The structure of the football championship is farcical if you ask me. 28 group games to eliminate two teams. Ridiculous.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Clubs voted for it to come back in after 2 groups of 4 last year, but personally I am inclined to agree with you. It is madness and there will be a fair few dead rubber matches coming up in the next month or so.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

ive said it before on previous posts i feel we should run our football and hurling championships like the laois senior hurling championship

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Pat Mustard wrote:ive said it before on previous posts i feel we should run our football and hurling championships like the laois senior hurling championship
Which is??

Personally I'm a fan of the Clare structure. It has a meaning to every game and there is a back door if you lose up to county semi-finals. Lose you're opening two games and you are in relegation.

Could work in Offaly now next year as we have 8 teams.

Round 1:
1 v 2 (1 wins)
3 v 4 (3 wins)
5 v 6 (5 wins)
7 v 8 (7 wins)

Round 2: Losers Round 1:
1 v 3 (1 wins) 2 v 4 (2 wins, 4 goes to relegation)
5 v 7 (5 wins) 6 v 8 (6 wins, 8 goes to relegation)

Losers Round 2:
3 v 2 (3 wins and goes to county semi)
7 v 6 (7 wins and goes to county semi)

Semi Finals (Seeded Draw)
1 v 7
5 v 3

And you get the rest!!!

I'd love to see it trialled it for a year. Every game would have championship meaning.

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

yeah thats the same clare/laois system hurling and football would make for a great championship