Offaly SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will lift the Sean Robbins cup this year?

Rynaghs
38%
Belmont
3%
Lusmagh
No votes
K/K
29%
Clareen
12%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
6%
Clodiagh Gaels
No votes
Coolderry
6%
Shamrocks
No votes
Kinnitty
3%
Tullamore
3%

Total votes: 34

timber
All Star

Re: Offaly SHC

Post by timber »

Well done to Kinnitty. By all accounts, a club that has come a long way in the last couple of years. Arguably the standard of club hurling is not as strong in the county as it was 10 years ago and Coolderry are a team in decline with most of their best hurlers nearing retirement and their focus has shifted to priorities away from hurling to work and families.

I notice to massive beatings for both Clodiagh gaels and Shamrocks. Not what we want to see and possibly these games were of no benefit to Rynaghs and KK respectively. Its a hammer blow to see Clodiagh gaels getting two big beatings back to back having finally had success with underage teams and winning the intermediate championship after the amalgamation. These hammerings might knock confidence in the club and set it back especially with younger players.
Shamrocks another club that have gone way back. Have not replaced players retiring really and were really lucky to survive last years relegation playoff but clearly they have not made any progress.

Can I ask a question that is probably more important in the long term than where the weaker clubs are currently at. Is there hurling structures in place in the all of the primary schools? And is this just left in the hands of the school itself or are the county board actively monitoring the work done in primary schools? Can we safely say all primary schools are getting proper qualified hurling coaching?

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

So, after 2 full rounds of championship hurling here is my take on how each club is positioned at the moment:

1. KK - Still slight favourites I reckon, probably got a bit of scare against Coolderry but have always got it hard enough in recent times to put them away. Plenty of experience in the squad and look set to give it a good rattle and also have a Leinster League final to look forward now during the intercounty break.

2. St.Rynaghs - have the monkey off the back after last years win and won't be too worried over shaky enough start against Belmont. They'll be gearing to hit ground running in August and should be there or thereabouts again.

3. Kinnitty - 2 from 2, perfect start from them. Pressure off as they are more or less assured of a q/f place and don't have to worry about relegation battle. All this with Kinsella out injured, they'll be quietly confident of reaching final this year.

4. Seir Kieran - Good win over Shinrone and will be delighted with that. Probably still too reliant on Joe Berlin for scores as was seen against Belmont. Great to see him back btw. 3pts on the board and haven't really set the place a light yet. Have struggled last number of years at knockout stage so Murphy will be trying to get them to peak at right time this year.

5. Shinrone - Could probably take your pick from teams listed 5-8 and put them in any order. I'll give 5 to Shinrone, good young side plenty of potential but like Clareen struggle at knockout stage. 0-28 was impressive shooting regardless of the opposition.

6. Belmont - probably would have been closer to rynaghs the first day if their free taker was on form and didn't lose Egan in 1st half. Must get max points v Tullamore and clodiagh Gaels. Won't be an easy qf opponent for any team.

7. Birr - Seem to have regressed since last years final appearance, can't see them getting as far this year and with nothing coming through at underage the look to be heading in the wrong direction.

8. Coolderry - Decent performance against KK but might be doing well to reach qf. Another side that will be hard beat if in qf but still very dependent on older lads.

9. Lusmagh - Might be eyeing up Coolderry game as a potential big scalp. Good result against Shamrocks and gave Birr plenty of it. Realistically though will be hurling Senior B next year.

10. Tullamore - Probably could put Tullamore, Shamrocks Clodiagh Gaels in any order. Tullamore at ten solely cos they have Dooley. Senior B for them next year. Haven't kicked on from shock win in 2009 and underage has been a joke for years.

11. Shamrocks - outrageous hammering on Sunday, 2 bad defeats and mood in camp can't be good. Lusmagh game would have been seen as their chance to get points on the board.

12. Clodiagh Gaels - big step up to Senior level and looks like just not good enough for this level and Senior B will hopefully be a help next year for younger lads to make step up.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

allstar 2010 good post I think after 2 rounds i expect St Rynagh Clareen Shinrone and Belmont to make Qf in that group and KK Kinnitty Birr and Cooldery in the other group
Which could give us Quarter finals of
St Rynagh V Cooldery
KK V Belmont
Kinnity v Shinrone
Clareen V Birr

It all could change but i expect those 8 to make the quarter finals .
Was there any injuries picked up to any of our key players???
I heard that O Kelly was flying for Belmont what other player are showing good form ahead of the summer??
Is there anyone that should be added to the county panel ???

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I wouldn't agree with everything you say allstar. For me I would go like this :
1. St.Rynaghs
2. K/K
3. Clareen
4. Birr
5. Coolderry
6. Kinnitty
7. Shine one
8. Belmont.

For the simple reason when it comes to the nitty gritty The Birr's and Coolderrys of this world have better lads on paper and might start the year off shaky but have better hurler's all over the field towards Kinnitty and Belmont.

Rynaghs have youth on there side and have the beaten of kilkormac who are a team that is also getting long in the tooth.....outside of them two I can't see anyone winning it really , maybe Birr if they get there house in order.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

greenairfield wrote:I wouldn't agree with everything you say allstar. For me I would go like this :
1. St.Rynaghs
2. K/K
3. Clareen
4. Birr
5. Coolderry
6. Kinnitty
7. Shine one
8. Belmont.

For the simple reason when it comes to the nitty gritty The Birr's and Coolderrys of this world have better lads on paper and might start the year off shaky but have better hurler's all over the field towards Kinnitty and Belmont.

Rynaghs have youth on there side and have the beaten of kilkormac who are a team that is also getting long in the tooth.....outside of them two I can't see anyone winning it really , maybe Birr if they get there house in order.
We all agree on the last 8,i think that Birr Clareen Cooldery KK and St Rynagh have experence on their side but Kinnitty Shinrone and Belmont are young improving sides .
I think on their day any of those 8 could beat each other .
I agree Birr will expect to win the quarter final which will be against either St Rynagh Shinrone Clareen or Belmont .
St Rynagh and Clareen dont fear Birr nowadays so it wont be easy .

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

I heard Paddy Kirwan on the radio today after the Offaly camogie match.
Mentioned that he had resigned from Birr job, and didn't seem too amicable about it! What happened there?

JPCR1406
Junior C

Post by JPCR1406 »

Last edited by JPCR1406 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

You are nearly correct in what your sayin but there wasn't an EGM, Kirwan resigned even though the writing was probably on the wall for him.

Gerry Spellman from Clarinbridge Galway has now taken the reigns of the Birr senior Job, was over Gort a couple years back when they won a county title and is involved in alot of coaching with Galway underage.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

St Rynagh's don't have to travel to play Tullamore in Tullamore. Janey! Round 3 Senior and Intermediate fixtures. A double header for Moystown, which the Belmont club deserve and I've no doubt will run in their usual efficient manner. Always a great occasion for a host club.

Friday 14th July
Senior hurling – Lusmagh v Coolderry at Crinkill at 8pm
Senior hurling – Belmont v Shinrone at Kinnitty at 8pm
Intermediate hurling – Clara v Carrig & Riverstown in Rath at 8pm
Intermediate hurling – Brosna Gaels v Birr in Kilcormac at 8pm

Saturday 15th July
Intermediate hurling – Coolderry v Killeigh in Birr at 5pm
Intermediate hurling – Kilcormac v Clareen in Bord a Móna at 5pm
Senior hurling – Kinnitty v KIlcormac in Bord na Móna at 7pm
Senior hurling – Birr Shamrocks in Rath at 7pm
Intermediate hurling – Drumcullen v Rynagh’s in Carrig at 7pm

Sunday 16th July
Senior hurling - Killeigh v Clareen in Moystown at 12 noon
Senior hurling - St Rynagh’s v Tullamore at Moystown at 1.30pm
Intermediate hurling – Ballinamere v Ballyskenagh-Killavilla in Clareen at 6.30pm
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

3 of those games in the SHC look like non-events at this juncture.

Birr, Banagher and Clareen will easily account for Shamrocks, Tullamore and Clodiagh Gaels respectively.

And while Lusmagh will be really aiming to turn over Coolderry, if Coolderry are at full strength and hurling relatively well they should pick up their first win of the championship.

Belmont and Shinrone will be a good gauge of where both teams are. A defeat for either here, while both will still make Q-Finals, will put a dampener on their season and will probably see the loser finish in 4th position in the group.

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Kinnitty looks like it will decide top spot in that group and has the makings of a good game.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Why does OCP get a double fixture every game week and SBP doesn't even get one, I am all for spreading out the fixtures to all clubs but not to give the second best ground in the county a fixture for me seems like the usual two fingers up to the Birr club, lots of money gone into the ground it's only fair they get something back.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Why does OCP get a double fixture every game week and SBP doesn't even get one, I am all for spreading out the fixtures to all clubs but not to give the second best ground in the county a fixture for me seems like the usual two fingers up to the Birr club, lots of money gone into the ground it's only fair they get something back.
After this round of games, SBP and OCP will have hosted three SHC fixtures each. There are a lot of hurling clubs in the county and while SBP obviously has a stronger claim than clubs like Kinnitty/Moystown/Lusmagh etc in the knockout stages, when bigger attendances are a feature, there's is actually no reason why they should be getting more games than other well-appointed hurling clubs now - and yet they do. If there is any bias in the 2017 fixtures, it's not against them.

Of course one could argue that there are too many games going into OCP, but the issue here is that most clubs with an eye on competing for the Robbins Cup want to play there at least once before the knockouts, and they request that, so they don't go into it unfamiliar when their season is on the line later in the year.

There have been other years when this refrain was applicable, but not this time.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

frankthetank wrote:3 of those games in the SHC look like non-events at this juncture.

Birr, Banagher and Clareen will easily account for Shamrocks, Tullamore and Clodiagh Gaels respectively.

And while Lusmagh will be really aiming to turn over Coolderry, if Coolderry are at full strength and hurling relatively well they should pick up their first win of the championship.

Belmont and Shinrone will be a good gauge of where both teams are. A defeat for either here, while both will still make Q-Finals, will put a dampener on their season and will probably see the loser finish in 4th position in the group.

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Kinnitty looks like it will decide top spot in that group and has the makings of a good game.
I agree the Shinrone Belmont clash will be a test for both team and its hard to call .i think Kinnity could spring a surprise against KK ,who seem to have big injury problems and a loss in form .
Birr seem to be in turmoil maybe Clareen could finally come good but unless kk get their form back and all their guys back i cant see anyone stopping St Rynagh.
St Rynagh are clear favorites to retain their title at this stage in my opinion

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I don't think clubs put in a official request to play more games in tullamore ahead of the semi finals and final, iin fact I am almost certain on it.

How are birr in turmoil Sam??? If anything they are moving along nicely since some changes have been made.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:I don't think clubs put in a official request to play more games in tullamore ahead of the semi finals and final, iin fact I am almost certain on it.
Not to play MORE games. Most clubs want to play in there at least once before the quarter finals. Three clubs from the south of the county have formally made that request, and most managers tend to want to have at least one run out on a ground that they know they'll have to play on if they want to get to a county final. It's not that they care about the total amount of games there, as long as their own club has at least one.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.