Offaly SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will lift the Sean Robbins cup this year?

Rynaghs
38%
Belmont
3%
Lusmagh
No votes
K/K
29%
Clareen
12%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
6%
Clodiagh Gaels
No votes
Coolderry
6%
Shamrocks
No votes
Kinnitty
3%
Tullamore
3%

Total votes: 34

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly SHC

Post by Lone Shark »

I too would be in favour, however we have a huge problem in Offaly, which is the fact that our leagues are treated like rubbish, which means that in the eyes of many clubs, the only hurling/football they get all year is what they get in the championship.

As many contributors on here know, I was part of a group that sat down in 2015 to look at all fixtures in the county and to make recommendations. We were hugely aware of the fact that leagues in Offaly were joke competitions, so we suggested changes there, which is why we had the regional league system in the 2016 football league season. We also suggested working towards either Senior A/Senior B/Inter hurling in 2017, or alternatively groups of four with the return of the old "weak group".

One hurling club spoke up and said that it meant that "we'd only get three hours of hurling all year" and so any reduction in the number of group games couldn't be countenanced. To be fair, this view was quite widely held across the floor - I'm not trying to single out that one club, they voiced what others were thinking. Yet when a variety of different league options were presented, the same clubs weren't interested in that, saying that the league didn't count, that wasn't "real" hurling. It drives me soft to think of it, but it's as simple as this - unless it's championship, Offaly clubs don't care - and we're happy to make a mockery of our championships as a result. There's every possibility this year, if the remaining results in the SFC go as one might expect, Gracefield will get to a county quarter final after winning one and losing six of their group games. Yet people will try to argue that our games are "meaningful" even though you can lose week in and week out and still reach a knockout tie.

Moreover, there is no way we can have a system next year where there are 20 weekends in which to play games (7 round robin, 3 knockout, for each code) and nobody has squared that circle.

Ultimately, the clubs have to be the ones to call the shots, but we're heading for a huge showdown here. Football-only and hurling-only clubs will want big groups with lots of "championship" games, while dual clubs will be completely sacrificed. In the meantime, no supporters will go to any games, because they'll be timid, pointless affairs, like that Edenderry vs Tullamore game on Saturday evening.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Was at the birr v coolderry game yesterday coolderry won by a point....looking back on it the first half was poor hurling but the second half really was a great game of hurling, birr without eoin cahill and Paul cleary after 2 minutes played a lovely brand of hurling under there new manager and went from been 7 points down at half time to 4 points up with around 10 minutes to go.
They were nipped at the post but would have to be happier considering they have around 5 to come back into the team.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Two matches! All year? Not a hope of that being introduced. Sorry, man.
Pat Mustard wrote:ive said it before on previous posts i feel we should run our football and hurling championships like the laois senior hurling championship
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Who's Birr's new Bainisteóir, Green? I saw the name somewhere and I forget.

Birr almost certain to finish in fourth position in the group now, and a quarter-final against St Rynagh's is just as likely.
greenairfield wrote:Was at the birr v coolderry game yesterday coolderry won by a point....looking back on it the first half was poor hurling but the second half really was a great game of hurling, birr without eoin cahill and Paul cleary after 2 minutes played a lovely brand of hurling under there new manager and went from been 7 points down at half time to 4 points up with around 10 minutes to go.
They were nipped at the post but would have to be happier considering they have around 5 to come back into the team.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

No medals given out in july typical Birr improving ,they hammer Shamrocks and they have a cut at KK in their final group game which will set them up nicely for the quarter finals .
St Rynagh are top of their group and are clear favorites at this stage .
KK top the other group,they have had to replace they 2 Healions at the heart of their defence and their 2 key forwards of 2012 -2014 C Slevin and D Currams dont seem to have the hunger or workrate anymore .KK are a team in decline i think,their key players are almost 30 , K Grogan C Slevin D Kilmartain J Gorman B Leonard D Currams C Mahon and the 2 Healions are 34 whereas St Rynagh Kinnity Shinrone Belmont are young improving teams
I think there is very little between Kinnity Shinrone Belmont Clareen Birr Cooldery and KK right now .
St Rynagh have played in 4 of the last 5 finals and only won 1 so hunger wont be a problem. Its Their time they could do 3 in a row .

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

New manager is gerry spellman from Galway seems to be good with a lot of positivity surrounding the team a fully fit team last Sunday would of really won easy again Coolderry.
I think they could cause Rynaghs major problems in the quater final.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who are over the club's this year.
Birr, Galway man
Coolderry, Tipp man?
Lusmagh, Tipp man.
Kinnity, offaly man
Shinrone, Tipp man?

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Who were Birr down on Sunday Green? By all accounts they seem to be motoring along nicely at the right time.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Birr were missing Paul Cleary, Eoghan Cahill, Rory Hanniffy and Brian Watkins.

Cahill was a huge loss particularly with the frees as Birr tried Colm Mulrooney, Aaron Whelahan and Thomas Bolger on them and all were poor enough at them.

Good second half and Coolderry did well to win as it seemed all the momentum was with Birr. If Birr get the four guys back mentioned above they will give St Rynaghs a really good test.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

At the start of the year, Senior managements were as follows -

KIlcormac-Killoughey: Stephen Byrne (manager) with John Leahy, Kevin Rigney and Christy Hand (selectors)
Coolderry: Gary Mernagh (manager) with David Dooley and Dessie Teehan (selectors)
Lusmagh: Noel Hogan (Lorrha, manager) with Benny Kelly and David Moran (selectors)
Kinnitty: Ger Coughlan (manager) with Peadar Bergin, Michael Bergin and Ger Ryan (selectors)
Birr: now Gerry Spellman (former Clarinbridge manager who took over at the start of the summer)
Shamrocks: Joint management of Rory Kearney, Dermot Buckley and Kevin Cummins. (Pe Kelly stood aside for family reasons in early summer, and Alo Lawlor also stepped down.)
St Rynagh's: Fintan O'Connor (Waterford, manager) with Hughie Hannon (Ballyskenagh) and Thomas Moylan (selectors)
Clareen: Paul Murphy (manager) with Mick Coughlan and Damien Murphy (selectors)
Belmont: Trevor Fletcher (manager) with Kevin Flynn and Kenneth Claffey (selectors)
Shinrone: Willie Smyth (manager) with Paul bourke and Seán O'Meara (selectors)
Tullamore: Danny Owens (manager) with Benny Martin and Edwin Finnerty (selectors)
Clodiagh Gaels: John Brady (manager) with Joe Brady, Pat Lanigan and Liam Byrne (selectors)

Is John Brady the chap who was Offaly U21 full-forward in 1991?
private joker wrote:Who are over the club's this year.
Birr, Galway man
Coolderry, Tipp man?
Lusmagh, Tipp man.
Kinnity, offaly man
Shinrone, Tipp man?

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

i think Ray Gavin is over clodiagh gaels now

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

This weekend’s Senior and Intermediate fixtures

Saturday
Senior – Shamrocks v Kinnitty at Banagher at 6pm
Intermediate – St Rynagh’s v Clara at Ferbane at 3pm
Intermediate - Clodiagh Gaels v Kilcormac at Rath at 7pm

Sunday
Senior - Kilcormac v Lusmagh at Rath at 12 noon
Senior - Clareen v Rynagh’s at Coolderry at 12 noon
Intermediate – Ballyskenagh-Killavilla v Coolderry at Crinkill at 12 noon
Intermediate – Carrig & Riverstown v Brosna Gaels at Moystown at 12 noon
Senior – Shinrone v Clodiagh Gaels at Birr at 5pm
Senior – Belmont v Tullamore at Birr at 6.30pm
Intermediate – Ballinamere v Clareen at Kinnitty at 6.30pm
Intermediate – Drumcullen v Birr at Banagher at 6.30pm

Those keeping an eye on venues for Senior matches may be interested in the venues used for the 19 Senior matches so far this year. These have been -
Bord na Móna - 3
Birr - 3
Shinrone - 2
Banagher - 2
Birr - 3
Rath – 2
Moystown – 2
Kilcormac - 2
Crinkill - 1
Lusmagh – 1
Kinnitty - 1

And the top scorers in this year’s championship are
Eóghan Cahill 2-30 (36)
Stephen Quirke 2-27 (33)
Joseph Bergin 3-24 (33)
Colm Coughlan 0-28

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Lusmagh knocked notions that they are out of their depth in Senior hurling when they ran Kilcormac-Killoughey to four points yesterday. Level with 10 minutes to go, Lusmagh took the lead with a fine Damien Kelly goal. Kilcormac introduced Ger Healion to full-forward and in fairness to them they finished strongly, with Ger Healion restoring their lead with a goal and they closed it out with three more points.

Thomas Geraghty was hugely influential at midfield for the winners, as was Jordan Quinn in defence and James Gorman in attack. And while KIlcormac were complacent, Lusmagh on the other hand were fired up and played some very good, skillful hurling. Their time will come.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Thankfully only 1 more round in the group stage to go and onto the business end then.

Probable Quarter Final pairings:

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone
Kinnitty vs Belmont
Coolderry vs Seir Kieran
Birr vs St Rynaghs

As far as I know the winners of Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone and the winners of Birr vs St Rynaghs can't meet in the semi-final stages. I am open to correction on this. But last year the group winners both progressed to the semi-finals and were kept apart in the draw. I am presuming this will be the case this year and if they are beaten in the quarter-final the team who beats them takes their place. As I said however, I am not 100% on this.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

frankthetank wrote:Thankfully only 1 more round in the group stage to go and onto the business end then.

Probable Quarter Final pairings:

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone
Kinnitty vs Belmont
Coolderry vs Seir Kieran
Birr vs St Rynaghs

As far as I know the winners of Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone and the winners of Birr vs St Rynaghs can't meet in the semi-final stages. I am open to correction on this. But last year the group winners both progressed to the semi-finals and were kept apart in the draw. I am presuming this will be the case this year and if they are beaten in the quarter-final the team who beats them takes their place. As I said however, I am not 100% on this.
I agree thats the probable quarter finals , The Kinnitty Belmont and Cooldery Seir Kieran games would be hard to call , all 4 would fancy their chance of making the semi final whereas St Rynagh should have too much for Birr and i expect KK to get passed Shinrone .
Overall it looking like a KK v St Rynaghs final with Rynagh been favorites to retain their title.