Offaly SHC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Who will lift the Sean Robbins cup this year?

Rynaghs
38%
Belmont
3%
Lusmagh
No votes
K/K
29%
Clareen
12%
Shinrone
No votes
Birr
6%
Clodiagh Gaels
No votes
Coolderry
6%
Shamrocks
No votes
Kinnitty
3%
Tullamore
3%

Total votes: 34

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly SHC

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Those pairings are all but confirmed, Frank. In group one, Kilcormac are assured of first place, Kinnitty will finish second unless they lose to Lusmagh and Birr beat Kilcormac. We can presume Coolderry will beat Shamrocks. If Kinnitty get at least a point against Lusmagh then Birr will finish fourth as Coolderry would trump Birr on head to head even if Birr beat Kilcormac.

In group two, St Rynagh;s are assured of finishing first. Clareen and Belmont play Tullamore and Clodiagh respectively. We can take it both are a done deal, in which case Clareen will edge second place (the vertical stripes have a 12 point advantage on the horizantal stripes in scoring difference). It would take an upset in either of those games, as well as a Shinrone win, to see Shinrone finish above the fourth place they curently occupy.

I should point out, where two teams are tied, the head to head result is used to separate them. If they drew then scoring difference is used. Where three or more teams are tied, scoring difference is used. These criteria are laid down by Treóraí Oifigiúil and not by the crunchie boord.
frankthetank wrote:Thankfully only 1 more round in the group stage to go and onto the business end then.

Probable Quarter Final pairings:

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone
Kinnitty vs Belmont
Coolderry vs Seir Kieran
Birr vs St Rynaghs

As far as I know the winners of Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Shinrone and the winners of Birr vs St Rynaghs can't meet in the semi-final stages. I am open to correction on this. But last year the group winners both progressed to the semi-finals and were kept apart in the draw. I am presuming this will be the case this year and if they are beaten in the quarter-final the team who beats them takes their place. As I said however, I am not 100% on this.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I should point out, where two teams are tied, scoring difference is used to separate them.
I presume you meant to say scoring difference is not used to separate them??

What are your early thoughts on those pairings? There is no game there that I could say with full conviction that a certain team would win?? I'd be in no way surprised to see Belmont, for example, in a county final. All those 8 teams are more or less at the same level.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Thanks for pointing that out, Tank. Stupid error on my part. :oops:

No particular thoughts at this stage. Haven't given it much thought. Shinrone won't beat Kilcormac. Kinnitty have a great chance to reach a semi-final, but on the other hand Belmont should be quite happy with the pairing too. Hard to have faith in Clareen either. But those quarter-finals are probably three and a half weeks away.

And I wonder which two quarter-finals will be in Bord na Móna Park on the Saturday and which two will be in Birr on the Sunday.
frankthetank wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I should point out, where two teams are tied, scoring difference is used to separate them.
I presume you meant to say scoring difference is not used to separate them??

What are your early thoughts on those pairings? There is no game there that I could say with full conviction that a certain team would win?? I'd be in no way surprised to see Belmont, for example, in a county final. All those 8 teams are more or less at the same level.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Birr delegates walk out of CB with frustration over not sitting down with them over fixtures.
Then the CB proceed to fix Birr V K/K in OCP on a Saturday evening at 7 O Clock a game which really means noting...shameful.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote:Birr delegates walk out of CB with frustration over not sitting down with them over fixtures.
Then the CB proceed to fix Birr V K/K in OCP on a Saturday evening at 7 O Clock a game which really means noting...shameful.
If results go as expected you are right, this is nothing more than a glorified challenge match (as an aside how many of these will we have next year if we go to one group of 8 teams???), but I'm sure Birr will be glad of the match in OCP as more than likely their Q-Final vs St Rynaghts will be fixed for there.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I hear you if the birr game is fixed for there..
But in the last 4 years birr have played 3 of there quarter finals in birr.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I actually wasn't aware of that. I was just going by last year's Quarter-Final vs Belmont.

I wonder what St Rynagh's would make of playing Birr in SBP??

Kinnitty vs Belmont
Coolderry vs Seir Kieran
Birr vs St Rynagh's

Talk about four games where SBP is the perfect venue for all the matches.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Maybe some day it will happen...an open championship rynaghs slightly ahead of everyone else.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'd say St Rynagh's wuld be quite happy to go there. Seriously.

But I think whatever chance there was of Senior semi finals and finals returning to Birr evaporated with the Bord na Móna sponsorship.
frankthetank wrote:I actually wasn't aware of that. I was just going by last year's Quarter-Final vs Belmont.

I wonder what St Rynagh's would make of playing Birr in SBP??

Kinnitty vs Belmont
Coolderry vs Seir Kieran
Birr vs St Rynagh's

Talk about four games where SBP is the perfect venue for all the matches.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Agreed on the the St Rynagh's point and fair play to them.

Horribly disillusioned on the other one however.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

St Rynagh look like clear favorites at this stage but i wonder are KK a team in decline or a team holding back till the meet St Rynagh in the semi final or final .
I think that most people want to see a St Rynagh KK final .
St Rynagh beat KK in 2015 and 2016 semi final and KK beat them in the 2012 and 2014 finals so the rivalry is huge and as a Rynaghs man told me the dream is to put titles back to back and beat KK in the final .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'd say the hurling communities of Birr, Coolderry, Kinnitty, Shinrone, Clareen, Belmont all want to see a Rynaghs v KIlcormac county final, right enough. Training has been pared back and they are already looking towards next year lest they ruin everything and get in the way of some peoples' 'dream final'.
sam88885a wrote:St Rynagh look like clear favorites at this stage but i wonder are KK a team in decline or a team holding back till the meet St Rynagh in the semi final or final .
St Rynagh beat KK in 2015 and 2016 semi final and KK beat them in the 2012 and 2014 finals so the rivalry is huge and as a Rynaghs man told me the dream is to put titles back to back and beat KK in the final .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Hard to get excited about the coming weekend’s hurling action, all the moreso as it now costs €10 for either a single or double header. Not too long ago it was €8 for a double and €5 for a single header. For instance, I’d be tempted to go to Crinkill to see Rynagh’s v Shinrone at 5.30pm before tipping over to see Lusmagh v Kinnitty at 7pm. But there is no chance I am spending €20 for the pleasure.

Anyway, there are six Intermediate hurling matches on Friday evening, all at 7pm. The pick of these is Ballyskenagh-Killavilla v Clareen which is a 4th/5th place playoff.

Kilcormac v Cooldery at Banagher
Ballinamere v Clodiagh at Bord na Móna Park
Ballyskenagh-Killavilla v Clareen at Kinnitty
Drumcullen v Brosna Gaels at Lusmagh
Clara v Birr at Moystown
Carrig & Riverstown v St Rynagh's at Shinrone

Round 5 of the Senior hurling is on Saturday evening with the group 2 matches all at 5.30pm and the group 1 games all at 7pm. Permutations were previously outlined at the top of this page and fixtures are as follows –

Clodiagh v Belmont at Rath at 5.30pm
St Rynagh’s v Shinrone at Crinkill at 5.30pm
Tullamore v Clareen at Clara at 5.30pm
Lusmagh v Kinnitty at Rath at 7pm
Birr v Kilcormac at Bord na Móna Park at 7pm (preceded by the Junior B Final between Kilcormac and Brosna Gaels)
Shamrocks v Coolderry at Carrig at 7pm.

Finally, the U21 hurling has been slipped into the fixtures schedule. Kilcormac-Killoughey are fixed to hurl Drumcullen / Seir Kieran, and St Brendan’s (Birr, C&R and Crinkill) fixed to play Cúchulainn Gaels (Kinnitty/Lusmagh) on Saturday 19th August at 6pm.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'd say the hurling communities of Birr, Coolderry, Kinnitty, Shinrone, Clareen, Belmont all want to see a Rynaghs v KIlcormac county final, right enough. Training has been pared back and they are already looking towards next year lest they ruin everything and get in the way of some peoples' 'dream final'.
sam88885a wrote:St Rynagh look like clear favorites at this stage but i wonder are KK a team in decline or a team holding back till the meet St Rynagh in the semi final or final .
Poth i meant to say most neutral people would like to see St Rynagh V KK play in the knockout stages again there should be a bit to it.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Hard to get excited about the coming weekend’s hurling action, all the moreso as it now costs €10 for either a single or double header. Not too long ago it was €8 for a double and €5 for a single header. For instance, I’d be tempted to go to Crinkill to see Rynagh’s v Shinrone at 5.30pm before tipping over to see Lusmagh v Kinnitty at 7pm. But there is no chance I am spending €20 for the pleasure.

Anyway, there are six Intermediate hurling matches on Friday evening, all at 7pm. The pick of these is Ballyskenagh-Killavilla v Clareen which is a 4th/5th place playoff.

Kilcormac v Cooldery at Banagher
Ballinamere v Clodiagh at Bord na Móna Park
Ballyskenagh-Killavilla v Clareen at Kinnitty
Drumcullen v Brosna Gaels at Lusmagh
Clara v Birr at Moystown
Carrig & Riverstown v St Rynagh's at Shinrone

Round 5 of the Senior hurling is on Saturday evening with the group 2 matches all at 5.30pm and the group 1 games all at 7pm. Permutations were previously outlined at the top of this page and fixtures are as follows –

Clodiagh v Belmont at Rath at 5.30pm
St Rynagh’s v Shinrone at Crinkill at 5.30pm
Tullamore v Clareen at Clara at 5.30pm
Lusmagh v Kinnitty at Rath at 7pm
Birr v Kilcormac at Bord na Móna Park at 7pm (preceded by the Junior B Final between Kilcormac and Brosna Gaels)
Shamrocks v Coolderry at Carrig at 7pm.

Finally, the U21 hurling has been slipped into the fixtures schedule. Kilcormac-Killoughey are fixed to hurl Drumcullen / Seir Kieran, and St Brendan’s (Birr, C&R and Crinkill) fixed to play Cúchulainn Gaels (Kinnitty/Lusmagh) on Saturday 19th August at 6pm.

Could the Tullamore v Clareen game be fixed for Kinnitty or Kilcormac rather than Clara, which is nearer Tullamore than Clareen.