National Hurling League 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
shamlads
Junior A

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Post by shamlads »

Toxicity234 wrote:Plain of the herbs go home your drunk... but it ok we are well use to you talking complete shit.

The lads did ok tonight against a poor enough Laois. the senting off both stupid but if it was Kilkenny or Tipp players you get away with it.
Then we lost them we, like last year when we lost a player, we forgot the game plan and just played and that what we need to do.
Shane Dooley was very poor in open play won nothing he need to move back inside.

I once again point out when it come to hurling we better than Laois but they have more of there better players playing in the correct positions,
Shortt at centre back put in come great hits. Love it. Midflield were ok but defensively could be better, They let the runners go to much but that me been way too tough.
Half forward line is really missing. we need Kinsella, Egan and i would love to Mahon but P Murphy has to move in there as well. Peter Greargty is still a year away from be ready for a full game at this level but in 40 mins he can do a lot of damage.

Ryan could get this right yet, Derek Morkan back is excellent news but we need to add a older full back. Murphy or Coughlan, Doughan is still to young for a centre position but give that man time he is going to be outstanding.
Shortt at centre back is excellent stopper.
Oisin Mahon again like Greargty isn't ready for full games at this level but 20 mins he could finish off tired backs. Oisin should be in a centre position just yet.

Yeah. A really bad night but one not without hope.
Finally,someone who talk's some sort of sense.there is hope.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Toxicity234 wrote:Plain of the herbs go home your drunk... but it ok we are well use to you talking complete shit.

The lads did ok tonight against a poor enough Laois. the senting off both stupid but if it was Kilkenny or Tipp players you get away with it.
Then we lost them we, like last year when we lost a player, we forgot the game plan and just played and that what we need to do.
Shane Dooley was very poor in open play won nothing he need to move back inside.

I once again point out when it come to hurling we better than Laois but they have more of there better players playing in the correct positions,
Shortt at centre back put in come great hits. Love it. Midflield were ok but defensively could be better, They let the runners go to much but that me been way too tough.
Half forward line is really missing. we need Kinsella, Egan and i would love to Mahon but P Murphy has to move in there as well. Peter Greargty is still a year away from be ready for a full game at this level but in 40 mins he can do a lot of damage.

Ryan could get this right yet, Derek Morkan back is excellent news but we need to add a older full back. Murphy or Coughlan, Doughan is still to young for a centre position but give that man time he is going to be outstanding.
Shortt at centre back is excellent stopper.
Oisin Mahon again like Greargty isn't ready for full games at this level but 20 mins he could finish off tired backs. Oisin should be in a centre position just yet.

Yeah. A really bad night but one not without hope.
Hi Tox,

Del Morkan back? When you say he is back that can mean a number of things.

Os it possible for you to be more specific? If not, no problem. Thx.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just another day on uibhfhaili then. Sam makes an outrageous statement (his time it was to label Offaly Senior hurlers as “gutless”), gets pulled up for it and then you ride to the rescue. Hi Ho Silver Away!

I’m only surprised it took you 24 hours this time – I expected you’d be quicker off the mark. At this stage, it is quite possible you and sam are the same person.

I see you’re on twitter too – I smelt an odour I recognised.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

Toxicity234 wrote:
yeh is dat right now? wasnt it one of yer own refs , pretending to be a corkman, who let kk away with assaults on limerick & tippplayers? he wudnt be let near an ai now. & the other fella allowing pullin & draggin a la cody while playin golf with franks & the carricshock lads & showing off his 'tommy' jersey on twitter. so the lettin away with it is down to yere crap refs to start with

both incidents tnite were sledgin & deserved red cards. ther was another near the end which mite have been one too.

bet kelly had a good chuckle tnite. wonder what daithi regen tinks now

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Just another day on uibhfhaili then. Sam makes an outrageous statement (his time it was to label Offaly Senior hurlers as “gutless”), gets pulled up for it and then you ride to the rescue. Hi Ho Silver Away!

I’m only surprised it took you 24 hours this time – I expected you’d be quicker off the mark. At this stage, it is quite possible you and sam are the same person.

I see you’re on twitter too – I smelt an odour I recognised.

My god poth ur like a spoilt little child.god forbid if anyone goes against ya.maybe its time ya looked in the mirror and realise its u with the problem and not everyone else on here.coz at end of day we all can't be wrong.My fisher price is going quite well,thank's.and now I'm onto 3 time's table's.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Bring back who ever he likes it's still only covering over the cracks....We need to get relegated and we also need to get back down to Christs Ring level to highlight the state we are in!! If we keep getting the odd win against teams of this standard noting will be done.
Laois were far the better team and if Offaly had 15 men they still would of lost by the same margin, Laois never pushed on when they got the 2 man advantage they left there two spare men in the full back line to make sure of the win and they also used alot of subs for a run out.
Gardener and treacy two headless hurlers with ridiculous challenges if they had the proper coaching or mindframe for intercounty neither would of done what they done.
We are where we are, Daithi Regan was right but none of ye choose to listen to it!!!

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

greenairfield wrote:Bring back who ever he likes it's still only covering over the cracks....We need to get relegated and we also need to get back down to Christs Ring level to highlight the state we are in!! If we keep getting the odd win against teams of this standard noting will be done.
Laois were far the better team and if Offaly had 15 men they still would of lost by the same margin, Laois never pushed on when they got the 2 man advantage they left there two spare men in the full back line to make sure of the win and they also used alot of subs for a run out.
Gardener and treacy two headless hurlers with ridiculous challenges if they had the proper coaching or mindframe for intercounty neither would of done what they done.
We are where we are, Daithi Regan was right but none of ye choose to listen to it!!!

ah airfield,its great to finally see someone else on here with a bit of gumption.to tell it like it is.and not be going around clapping a team who if very very lucky avoid relegation.and your right nothing will be done if we continue in this vein.we need to drop down and then maybe just maybe something will be done and force people to get their heads outta their asses.simple truth is we are not good enough for 1b hurling.and at way its going 2a could be pushing it.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Last year we went down to Wexford and beat them in the league. 12months on and the gap between us is massive. Why? Well they got a management in place that has everyone singing off the one hymn sheet and prepared to go to war for each other. Kelly walked away in July and it took our CB until nearly Xmas to get a manager in place. Let's be honest if the Waterford job came up he wouldn't even be mentioned as a potential candidate. If they CB had any interest in Hurling they would have had a proper management team in place my sept at latest. It's just non stop incompetence by the people in charge over the last two decades that has us in such a mess. Embarrassing on so many levels.

As for last night, agree with your comment Greenairfield that the two lads were headless to get sent off but then you bring up something that Daithi Regan was right? Right about what? He loves to have a dig but what has he and the majority of the successful players from 80s and 90s done to get us back on the road to success?

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

It hardly takes a genius to point out that we are where we are, Offaly hurling has been on a massive spiral downwards since we took a massive beating in the All Ireland final to Kilkenny back in 2000, in the time since, we've never once appointed a high profile manager who could come in and bring a real buzz to Offaly hurling, instead we've gone for the cheapest option or the yes man that the county board wanted, the whole pointless debate on bringing hurling back to Birr just masked over
the real issue, because we were in massive decline and that was down to the players rather than the fact that we weren't hurling in Birr!!

What I don't get is why people think that Offaly getting relegated to Division 2 and the Cristy Ring cup will be the moment that will get everyone to put the shoulder to the wheel and get us back to been a hurling force again...It won't, we'll be gone and to get a decent manager and backroom team in then will be virtually impossible never mind convince good hurlers in the county to either come back into the panel or stay involved in the county set up...because hurling against counties in the 3rd tier of county hurling is what they dreamed of!!

The reality, much like a side getting relegated from the English premier league is that the way to get back to the top may be a whole lot harder than you imagined because we have lost the right to be considered a big hurling county now, we've haven't won a senior Leinster title since 1995, an U21 or Minor Leinster title since 2000, so we've been gone a long time with no sign of change and relegation would just be the final nail in the coffin!!
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

the Untouchable wrote:It hardly takes a genius to point out that we are where we are, Offaly hurling has been on a massive spiral downwards since we took a massive beating in the All Ireland final to Kilkenny back in 2000, in the time since, we've never once appointed a high profile manager who could come in and bring a real buzz to Offaly hurling, instead we've gone for the cheapest option or the yes man that the county board wanted, the whole pointless debate on bringing hurling back to Birr just masked over
the real issue, because we were in massive decline and that was down to the players rather than the fact that we weren't hurling in Birr!!

What I don't get is why people think that Offaly getting relegated to Division 2 and the Cristy Ring cup will be the moment that will get everyone to put the shoulder to the wheel and get us back to been a hurling force again...It won't, we'll be gone and to get a decent manager and backroom team in then will be virtually impossible never mind convince good hurlers in the county to either come back into the panel or stay involved in the county set up...because hurling against counties in the 3rd tier of county hurling is what they dreamed of!!

The reality, much like a side getting relegated from the English premier league is that the way to get back to the top may be a whole lot harder than you imagined because we have lost the right to be considered a big hurling county now, we've haven't won a senior Leinster title since 1995, an U21 or Minor Leinster title since 2000, so we've been gone a long time with no sign of change and relegation would just be the final nail in the coffin!!
Fair enough points, but I think we are long past the point where the sugar rush of big time manager would make a meaningful difference. They do create a bit of buzz for a couple of years, but when they go, the generally haven't put in great foundations for the future.

I can see the logic that a big relegation would possibly be the impetus to tear up the copy book on Offaly hurling and start again. Simply because for over 20 years we've had a slow steady decline and yet there is no sign of an obvious turnaround.

It is a dangerous assumption to think that Offaly could bounce back. That people are even suggesting it is telling.

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

Is it time for a massive revolution within the Offaly set up?
I seriously believe it's time now for a revolt by the offaly supporter's,player's and anyone else who are genuine follower's of the faithful.the current regime has existed for far too long and have done little or nothing in the interest of Offaly gaa.promise the sun moon and stars.and fob us off with this is been done and that is been done and putting this in place and that in place.only thing that is been put in place is in back pocket's.It has gone far beyond a joke now at this stage.are we going to continue to settle for maybe getting a poxy win in mickey mouse matches to keep these guys at the top in jobs?it would'nt be accepted in any other county in the country.It's about time offaly people made a statement and if that means boycotting matches so be it.We can't just settle for maybe just avoiding relegation to go through it all again year on year.A line has to be drawn somewhere.Enough is enough,and if it means starting out again from scratch,well to hell with it,it can't be much worse than where we are heading anyway.At end of day we would garner more respect for standing up and be counted.And lay a marker for the future that this will not be allowed happen again and offaly people have a bit of gumption and wont be walked on.It's an absolute travesty that offaly hurling has been allowed to sink so low,where we always had some of the most skillful players that ever graced a field and a brand of hurling to match.We seriously need leaders but not just on the pitch.The time is now for a massive heave,if it's let go on we will never have glory days ever again while this regime is in place.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

shamlads wrote:Is it time for a massive revolution within the Offaly set up?
I seriously believe it's time now for a revolt by the offaly supporter's,player's and anyone else who are genuine follower's of the faithful.the current regime has existed for far too long and have done little or nothing in the interest of Offaly gaa.promise the sun moon and stars.and fob us off with this is been done and that is been done and putting this in place and that in place.only thing that is been put in place is in back pocket's.It has gone far beyond a joke now at this stage.are we going to continue to settle for maybe getting a poxy win in mickey mouse matches to keep these guys at the top in jobs?it would'nt be accepted in any other county in the country.It's about time offaly people made a statement and if that means boycotting matches so be it.We can't just settle for maybe just avoiding relegation to go through it all again year on year.A line has to be drawn somewhere.Enough is enough,and if it means starting out again from scratch,well to hell with it,it can't be much worse than where we are heading anyway.At end of day we would garner more respect for standing up and be counted.And lay a marker for the future that this will not be allowed happen again and offaly people have a bit of gumption and wont be walked on.It's an absolute travesty that offaly hurling has been allowed to sink so low,where we always had some of the most skillful players that ever graced a field and a brand of hurling to match.We seriously need leaders but not just on the pitch.The time is now for a massive heave,if it's let go on we will never have glory days ever again while this regime is in place.
How do you want the revolution to proceed Che? The ballot box or the armalite?

Some amount of hot air being blown in here the last few days. If the same amount of energy went into coaching properly we would be a lot better off.
Reality time. We are a very small county that managed to punch above its weight for a few decades. We are too small to compete in two codes. We are like two Leitrims, one that plays hurling and one that plays football. Yes the county board could do a number of things better but I don't see a queue of people forming to take over.
Even if we ticked every box in terms of preparation etc we are still fighting against the odds.
Davy Fitz might have started well in Wexford, but he did have the luxury of picking players from a quite successful U21 set up. Ryan has stepped in to a county where the squad has probably gotten weaker every year for the last 16 seasons. I was very impressed with how his players dug in for the last 30 minutes v Laois.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

joe bloggs wrote:

Some amount of hot air being blown in here the last few days. If the same amount of energy went into coaching properly we would be a lot better off.
Reality time. We are a very small county that managed to punch above its weight for a few decades. We are too small to compete in two codes. We are like two Leitrims, one that plays hurling and one that plays football. Yes the county board could do a number of things better but I don't see a queue of people forming to take over.
Even if we ticked every box in terms of preparation etc we are still fighting against the odds.
Davy Fitz might have started well in Wexford, but he did have the luxury of picking players from a quite successful U21 set up. Ryan has stepped in to a county where the squad has probably gotten weaker every year for the last 16 seasons. I was very impressed with how his players dug in for the last 30 minutes v Laois.
And there we go again,exactly the attitude within offaly at present.no gumption whatsoever.accept what is going on and go with it.we will never get anywhere when we have a multitude of attitudes just like yours.offaly is no smaller than what it was 20,30 and 40 years ago.we were well able to compete then,and it was'nt about punching above our weight.far from it.
only difference now is the general attitude in accepting what is running the show.well if that is the attitude running through the county we don't deserve anything else only to be where we are right now.from the majority of what is said on this forum and what i hear on the street we are nothing but a sad shower of yes men.well i for one won't be a yes man to suit the mentality of most in offaly at present.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

shamlads wrote:
joe bloggs wrote:

And there we go again,exactly the attitude within offaly at present.no gumption whatsoever.accept what is going on and go with it.we will never get anywhere when we have a multitude of attitudes just like yours.offaly is no smaller than what it was 20,30 and 40 years ago.we were well able to compete then,and it was'nt about punching above our weight.far from it.
only difference now is the general attitude in accepting what is running the show.well if that is the attitude running through the county we don't deserve anything else only to be where we are right now.from the majority of what is said on this forum and what i hear on the street we are nothing but a sad shower of yes men.well i for one won't be a yes man to suit the mentality of most in offaly at present.
20, 30, 40 years ago Offaly had steady employment in the ESB and Bord na Mona. The economic spin off also helped sustain numerous jobs. This was at a time when a lot fewer lads went to third level when finished school. Therefore Offaly was able to retain nearly all of its talent unlike many of its competitors at this time.
Fast forward to today. Most lads go to third level. Banagher had something like 85% of last year's leaving cert class go to 3rd level. It is very difficult to juggle the demands of 3rd level and inter county training if you are based half across the country. Players from counties like Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway have access to colleges locally. Then when they graduate, apart from teaching, what jobs are available locally in Offaly. It becomes very difficult for lads to sustain the level of commitment even into their late twenties if there is little or no chance of success. That's before we talk about about emigration. You could make a case for about a half dozen of St. Rynaghs players who are living abroad that would have been good enough to hurl with them in the Co. final, with one or two of them possibly inter county standard. That's only one club. If those couple of lads were around 20 to 30 years ago, chances are they would have stayed around as the lure of a potential All Ireland medal might have kept them home.
How many up and coming talents in Tipp or Kilkenny etc will emigrate?

I would agree that the Co Board has played a part in our downfall. Neglect of underage goes way back, probablyas far as the early 90s. Clubs too have a responsibility to try and produce and develop players, not just win underage titles by giving the ball to a few big lads and forget about the rest. But I do believe that changing socioeconomics have had a major impact on the fortunes of Offaly GAA.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

Davy Fitz might have started well in Wexford, but he did have the luxury of picking players from a quite successful U21 set up. Ryan has stepped in to a county where the squad has probably gotten weaker every year for the last 16 seasons. I was very impressed with how his players dug in for the last 30 minutes v Laois.[/quote]

only difference now is the general attitude in accepting what is running the show.well if that is the attitude running through the county we don't deserve anything else only to be where we are right now.from the majority of what is said on this forum and what i hear on the street we are nothing but a sad shower of yes men.well i for one won't be a yes man to suit the mentality of most in offaly at present.[/quote]

20, 30, 40 years ago Offaly had steady employment in the ESB and Bord na Mona. The economic spin off also helped sustain numerous jobs. This was at a time when a lot fewer lads went to third level when finished school. Therefore Offaly was able to retain nearly all of its talent unlike many of its competitors at this time.
Fast forward to today. Most lads go to third level. Banagher had something like 85% of last year's leaving cert class go to 3rd level. It is very difficult to juggle the demands of 3rd level and inter county training if you are based half across the country. Players from counties like Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway have access to colleges locally. Then when they graduate, apart from teaching, what jobs are available locally in Offaly. It becomes very difficult for lads to sustain the level of commitment even into their late twenties if there is little or no chance of success. That's before we talk about about emigration. You could make a case for about a half dozen of St. Rynaghs players who are living abroad that would have been good enough to hurl with them in the Co. final, with one or two of them possibly inter county standard. That's only one club. If those couple of lads were around 20 to 30 years ago, chances are they would have stayed around as the lure of a potential All Ireland medal might have kept them home.
How many up and coming talents in Tipp or Kilkenny etc will emigrate?

I would agree that the Co Board has played a part in our downfall. Neglect of underage goes way back, probablyas far as the early 90s. Clubs too have a responsibility to try and produce and develop players, not just win underage titles by giving the ball to a few big lads and forget about the rest. But I do believe that changing socioeconomics have had a major impact on the fortunes of Offaly GAA.[/quote]

I agree with you to a certain extent.but i also think that our hurlers and footballers have been let down very badly with the set ups from underage right through to senior.It's the mentality that really gets to me.when you have teams going out in both codes and more often than not have at least a guy sent to the line everytime.but been a hurling follower moreso,over past number of years to see the lads look beaten b4 they even set foot on the park.And that mindset is there from very beginning at underage,and that is something that has never been addressed.and if stories are true like what i have been told tonight about what has gone in the past.I'll tell its a cancer.to hear of underage lads turning up for a blitz,dressed in ordinary everyday clothing,and bus loads from other counties decked out in county tracksuits and all the trimmings.and one guy in our setup was so sickened that he goes to one of the henchmen and asks for a marker,and asked what he wants it for?his answer was he wanted to write offaly on foreheads of our guys so they'd know where we were from.and thats not the best story.and if anyone can answer where the funding comes from for the 82' all ireland winners to jet off to portugal to celebrate 35 years of that achievement.is it a separate fund aside from offaly gaa coffers?and if it is been pulled out of funds that should be used to put proper systems in place its an absolute disgrace.but even if its not its just laughable.typical offaly present day living in the past.those guys have been congratulated to the death and rightly so for their achievement.but enough is enough.more in their line whoever came up with this one if they put as much effort into sorting out our problems present day.absolute crazy.