National Hurling League 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Post by allstar2010 »

private joker wrote:A farce of a league where a team like offaly make Q/F and teams like clare and dublin hurl a relegation match. Absolutely out of their depth vs Tipperary.
What's Clare and Dublin playing a relegation from 1A got to do with Offaly playing Tipp??

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
There were plenty of sneers during the week about how Tipp would win by 40 or 50 points.
yeh its about time biffos stopped running down their own

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Overall Not a bad League.
We started off Shit and improved in every game.
That what the league is for. The big stuff starts in 6 weeks.

Hats off to Kevin Ryan. I slaughter him when he got appointed but he done a Good job.
We improved and the team is settle down in most positions.

I think Ryan will be surprise at the high standard of club hurling in Offaly and it should be remember that Kevin Ryan hasn't seen any club hurling yet.
“Common sense is not so common.”

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

My Point is that counties in a higher division, playing against better opposition, are in relegation. Then, a team that wins one game, in a lower division finishing 4th in that lower division get into a league q\f with teams playing in a division higher. It like make the top four of the europa league and you quailfy to play in the quarter finals of champions league. No sense. Limerick, Galway, Wexford should all be brought up to Div 1 and the rest division 2. Bottom of div 1 plays top of 2 to see who comes up or who goes down.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

private joker wrote:My Point is that counties in a higher division, playing against better opposition, are in relegation. Then, a team that wins one game, in a lower division finishing 4th in that lower division get into a league q\f with teams playing in a division higher. It like make the top four of the europa league and you quailfy to play in the quarter finals of champions league. No sense. Limerick, Galway, Wexford should all be brought up to Div 1 and the rest division 2. Bottom of div 1 plays top of 2 to see who comes up or who goes down.
The structure exists, not because it was designed to be the fairest thing possible, but because it means that every team is guaranteed six games, which is considered a good thing.

Secondly, a nine team first division would take nine weekends to run off. It's an unwieldy number and I don't think that there is that much of an appetite for that number of games.

Finally, this schyte of divisional winners having to go through playoffs to actually get promotion is nonsense, and it's only in hurling where it happens. Part of the reason teams get so animated about being relegated is that they know that it's extremely hard to get back up, for this reason. And I'm acutely aware too that Offaly have benefited from this is a big way. Simple divisions of eight teams, with two counties going up and down each year, would surely be preferable.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.