National Hurling League 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: National Hurling League 2017

Post by jimbob17 »

Toxicity234 wrote:Yeah, Our underage progress in a problem.
P. Boland and Byrne picked the manager.
Can't blame the Manger.. He knows nothing about Offaly Hurling.. . But if you have seen Galway hurler in the last two years you will know that there Full forward line is Huge. Putting out physical small Lads vs that full forward line and they run straight through you and that what happen today.
Ryan Has to know something about Hurling and Galway. otherwise well why is he managing a hurling team.

So if i can't blame the manager and i won't blame the lads that are been sent out like lambs to the slaughter. I have to blame the people that put that system in Place, The ones that have been in different CB jobs over the Last 10 years and the one that appointed another Coach instead of a manager.
That lead us back to the County Board. Which the underage set is shit and that may not be P. Boland and Byrne fault. they haven't Help it, Sitting on the recover plan for 18 months is just one example. Appoint into key position Coaches with no experience.

So yeah in this case the buck stops at Byrne, Boland and the county board for many reasons. The underage system that produce players, The appointment as managers, The consent re-building of our senior squad while never getting anywhere.
This is all thing that the county board are meant to look after and if you don't believe that, may i suggest that you wander back into the bunker and see if Eva Braun still want to talk hurling with you.
Completely agree with this. The current management are in place. There is nothing in very short term we can do but there are a few issues that need to be acknowledged.
1 Are the present management experienced enough at this level?
2 Is the coaching and support structure of senior team up to scratch?
3 Do they know the club scene and who the best players in the county are?
4 Have they the ability to get everyone on board with them?
5 Are the players treated properly by county board?
These are questions for both county board and management to answer. If the answer is not a resounding YES to ALL of the above then, we are coming up short before we ever go near a field.

Some more questions for county board regarding player development - bare in mind that current players are direct product of the system the county board put in place!
1 Are the development squads properly resourced with well respected knowledgeable coaches and support structures - S&C, nutrition etc
2 Are these coaches developing our players?
3 Are they able to keep the best players playing?
4 Are the clubs sending in the best players?
5 Are the clubs supported by county board with regard to player development?
6 Is there an overall plan for development?
7 What exactly is it and is it being implemented?
8 Are clubs getting enough games?
9 Is the games programme fit for purpose?
10 Are the schools adequately supported?

Only if there is a resounding YES to all of the above, can we be competitive at minor level let alone U21 level.

As I see it, the reason we are short so many of our better players is because so many lads have been let down on a number of the issues listed above and couldnt be bothered giving their valuable time to an organisation that falls very much short of what it could and should be. The fact is that for many, Its no longer an honour or desirable for a young player to hurl for Offaly. The bar is too low on too many fronts listed and it is a complete systems failure. The players are the product of the system! The county board put the system in place!

So don't tell me the county board are not at fault - partially at least, for today's result. They have more than played their part in my opinion!
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Can't blame the Manger.. He knows nothing about Offaly Hurling.. . But if you have seen Galway hurler in the last two years you will know that there Full forward line is Huge. Putting out physical small Lads vs that full forward line and they run straight through you and that what happen today.
Ryan Has to know something about Hurling and Galway. otherwise well why is he managing a hurling team.
What full back line should Ryan have picked so?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

A bottom up approach needs to be taken. Offaly has a backward approach to everything regarding gaa development. I speak to a lot of lads in regards to coaching, reffing and administration. They talk about cycles and how all things come to an end and offalys time will come. Right now offaly will not contest an leinster final for the next decade. They most certainly will not contest an all Ireland probably for next 20 years. There is an apathy within the county to anything worthwhile been done simply because nothing is been done. Backward, untrained in coaching and living off a glorious past. As Sean Ryan said, under eamon Kelly he experienced the most professional set up of his career. How long has he been on development squads and senior squads? A deep unwillingness to adapt and change to the new world order within the gaa to training and preparation of all players from 13 years of age to senior. A lack of a clear pathway where a continuous stream of both players and coaches are developed.
Offaly could be a leading light in this regard. Have the interest, there is a director of hurling. Let him get on with the job.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

jimbob17 wrote:

So if i can't blame the manager and i won't blame the lads that are been sent out like lambs to the slaughter. I have to blame the people that put that system in Place, The ones that have been in different CB jobs over the Last 10 years and the one that appointed another Coach instead of a manager.
That lead us back to the County Board. Which the underage set is shit and that may not be P. Boland and Byrne fault. they haven't Help it, Sitting on the recover plan for 18 months is just one example. Appoint into key position Coaches with no experience.

So yeah in this case the buck stops at Byrne, Boland and the county board for many reasons. The underage system that produce players, The appointment as managers, The consent re-building of our senior squad while never getting anywhere.
This is all thing that the county board are meant to look after and if you don't believe that, may i suggest that you wander back into the bunker and see if Eva Braun still want to talk hurling with you.
Completely agree with this. The current management are in place. There is nothing in very short term we can do but there are a few issues that need to be acknowledged.
1 Are the present management experienced enough at this level?
2 Is the coaching and support structure of senior team up to scratch?
3 Do they know the club scene and who the best players in the county are?
4 Have they the ability to get everyone on board with them?
5 Are the players treated properly by county board?
These are questions for both county board and management to answer. If the answer is not a resounding YES to ALL of the above then, we are coming up short before we ever go near a field.

Some more questions for county board regarding player development - bare in mind that current players are direct product of the system the county board put in place!
1 Are the development squads properly resourced with well respected knowledgeable coaches and support structures - S&C, nutrition etc
2 Are these coaches developing our players?
3 Are they able to keep the best players playing?
4 Are the clubs sending in the best players?
5 Are the clubs supported by county board with regard to player development?
6 Is there an overall plan for development?
7 What exactly is it and is it being implemented?
8 Are clubs getting enough games?
9 Is the games programme fit for purpose?
10 Are the schools adequately supported?

Only if there is a resounding YES to all of the above, can we be competitive at minor level let alone U21 level.

As I see it, the reason we are short so many of our better players is because so many lads have been let down on a number of the issues listed above and couldnt be bothered giving their valuable time to an organisation that falls very much short of what it could and should be. The fact is that for many, Its no longer an honour or desirable for a young player to hurl for Offaly. The bar is too low on too many fronts listed and it is a complete systems failure. The players are the product of the system! The county board put the system in place!

So don't tell me the county board are not at fault - partially at least, for today's result. They have more than played their part in my opinion![/quote

Good post Jimbob on the positive if we beat Laois ,we safe .
Today was no surprise ,we have no ball winners on that team or no leaders .Can we get E Murphy B Leonard S Coughlan C Mahon C Egan J Bergin back to beef up the team??? .

Surely the managment will we able to drop their egos after today for the good of offaly hurling .
E Kelly doesnt look like the great manager that B Carroll Rory Hannify and S Ryan talked about after laois loosing to kerry today .
Danny Owens really wanted the job could he have been any worse that Kelly or Ryan ????
On the positive if we beat laois we can play the other 3 games with no presure .

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I cant say I disagree with jimbob or sam and they want to raise a list of questions.

Now I have a few questions for them. You have a CB member in your club ( the Delegate to CB) and what reply have you received from that person ?

What has your CB member done in relation to your questions ?

I ask those questions because all of us are responsible for the state we are in and we need to do something to help, be that working within a club, with a county team or squad, for Club Faithful to help raising the money badly needed to pay for things like equipment for development squads.....and if anyone has a clue how to encourage lads in clubs to accept invitations to join county teams please share it......

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

You get them in by doing things right. Good coaching, adequate support with sport science etc and qualified coaches that improve them and give them a good experience of county level. Our problem is that is run so poorly in general that eager 14 year olds lose their eagerness when they are mismanaged for various reasons as above. Good underage teams have been developed previously only for politics to play part where minor managers are brought in over people who did all foundation work to make them good in first place. There was a very good u16 team about 6 years ago that was ruined thro politics. That team were on par with Wexford and Clare, both of whom went on to dominate u21 in provinces. Most of that team never went on to play u21. That is just one of many examples. I hope they have learned errors of ways as current minor management has done huge work from u14 and we will be very competitive in minor this year I think. This type of effort needs to be replicated with good people needed to carry out work.

If the senior team runs same way then they will be competitive and young lads would want to play. Whole thing is cyclical and nothing can be taken in isolation. Current senior team is product of system put in place by our county board over last 15 years.
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ryan said it's hard to get 30 lads to come in and commit to the team. I know times were different in my day and we were winning Leinsters and All Irelands but I would have given my heart and soul for a chance to hurl with Offaly. It kills me to see the state we are in now. I have criticised managers and players over the years but I just don't see the point anymore, it doesn't do anyone any good. The players and management im sure are going out trying to win, trying to improve, there is no quick fix. We can't keep changing managers, I don't know if the set up is right or wrong for us now but we need stability.

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

Here we go,another year of it.no change,same old,same old.what i cant understand is if the feeling is so strong around the county that the powers that be are the main fault for offaly hurling been where it is,if it is that strong an opinion within the general public,i'm sure alot of the players feel the same.why dont they just walk away and boycott wearing the jersey whatsoever.absolutely down tools.and remain that way until something is done about it.because is it gonna change without something drastic???I for one would admire the guys alot more for taking a stand like that rather than going out every other weekend and getting slaughtered.I do honestly believe it is now the only way to bring about change and lay down a marker.
and i think if it was put to them and knowing the majority of offaly people would back them,well its exactly what should happen.It is time for something drastic,or where the hell do ya draw the line before there is no coming back at all.I would be very very proud of them if they stood up and be counted.This just cant go on.It is an absolute scandal to see where we are now as to where we were.the powers that be are an absolute out and out disgrace.

Conrad
Intermediate

Post by Conrad »

Maybe I dont have the full details but I find it difficult to understand why Niall Whynne is not in the picking for 2017. A guy with good attitude & having in my view established himself as an inter-county corner back.
I acknowledge that he was not selected corner back for Rynaghs in the later stages of 2016 but this was due to his attitude towards the game & versatility working against him.
With Rynaghs having a depth of corner backs Niall accepted the challenge to move up the field where he might impose himself on the game. I dont think anyone would argue that he wasnt Rynaghs first choice corner back, I reckon he just lost out because the guys who moved into his position done well & management couldn't change up the that line of defense as the year progressed.
In this case it doesnt holds any ground to say - because he was not hurling for his club you cant select him for county or at least county panel.
Shouldnt happen, 25?? & two years min of county experience without any catastrophes. What are we trying to build..
Don't spread horse-manure over good crop

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Can somebody have a go at listing a current 'best Offaly 15' (including only players who are currently playing club or college hurling to a fitness standard approaching that which would be required at the top level and in their correct/best positions)?

The reason I ask is so that those of us - like myself - who are 'economically exiled' from the local scene can get a feel for who of the players being selected at the moment are the best in their positions of all the total pool of ‘declaring’ and ‘non-declaring’ players.

Appreciate fully that this is highly subjective (and possibly unfair to those players who are committing fully to Offaly hurling at present) but I’d like to know how real the problem of players declining to make themselves available actually is.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

With all the talk and blame going to the county board ive one question. Why didnt all the so called hurling clubs around birr rally together and nominate one of their own to chairman of board. Ive seen countless underage games and in general its the couple of stronger players on teams dictate results rather than system of play. Coaching has started to improve but its early days

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

shamlads wrote:Here we go,another year of it.no change,same old,same old.what i cant understand is if the feeling is so strong around the county that the powers that be are the main fault for offaly hurling been where it is,if it is that strong an opinion within the general public,i'm sure alot of the players feel the same.why dont they just walk away and boycott wearing the jersey whatsoever.absolutely down tools.and remain that way until something is done about it.because is it gonna change without something drastic???I for one would admire the guys alot more for taking a stand like that rather than going out every other weekend and getting slaughtered.I do honestly believe it is now the only way to bring about change and lay down a marker.
and i think if it was put to them and knowing the majority of offaly people would back them,well its exactly what should happen.It is time for something drastic,or where the hell do ya draw the line before there is no coming back at all.I would be very very proud of them if they stood up and be counted.This just cant go on.It is an absolute scandal to see where we are now as to where we were.the powers that be are an absolute out and out disgrace.
Surely we should be getting more people involved, rather than urging more people to walk away!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

keyboardwarrior wrote:Can somebody have a go at listing a current 'best Offaly 15' (including only players who are currently playing club or college hurling to a fitness standard approaching that which would be required at the top level and in their correct/best positions)?

The reason I ask is so that those of us - like myself - who are 'economically exiled' from the local scene can get a feel for who of the players being selected at the moment are the best in their positions of all the total pool of ‘declaring’ and ‘non-declaring’ players.

Appreciate fully that this is highly subjective (and possibly unfair to those players who are committing fully to Offaly hurling at present) but I’d like to know how real the problem of players declining to make themselves available actually is.
That is open to opinion but if i was to pick the best 15 club hurlers over the last couple of years who have played to a decent level
j Demsey
D Mooney
E Murphy
B Leonard
K Grogan
D Shortt
S Coughlan
G Kelly
S Ryan
J Bergin
C Mahon
C Egan
J Bergin
J Mulrooney
D Currams
S Dooley

All above are between 26 and 30 so their physically mature men .

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Sam,

You have actually become a caricature of yourself at this stage. In your urge to name as many players as possible that aren't currently hurling with Offaly in your "Best 15" you've managed to pick a team with 16 players.

I for one am totally sick of your incessant referencing of players that arent available to hurl for Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Aye, and if sam even occasionally went to see Kinnitty hurl, sam would know that 'j demsey' doesn't hurl in goals for his club. I stopped reading after that. Good spot, tank, on the 16 names.
frankthetank wrote:Sam,

You have actually become a caricature of yourself at this stage. In your urge to name as many players as possible that aren't currently hurling with Offaly in your "Best 15" you've managed to pick a team with 16 players.

I for one am totally sick of your incessant referencing of players that arent available to hurl for Offaly.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.