Football league 3 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Football league 3 2017

Post by private joker »

He has valid points. The one thing you can no longer afford to have if you wish to be a competitive county is a male functioning underage set up. Offaly are reaping what they have sown the last 20 years. Which was nothing.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Padraic Sullivan has added to the discussion.

https://twitter.com/SullivanParaic/stat ... 1504817152

Many of his points are valid in a general sense, though yesterday is still a bizarre given that Offaly had been competitive so far. If the set up is that bad, then we shouldn't have hammered Antrim and gotten near Louth.

I haven't noticed any significant abuse on the web, bar a couple of shouts of on twitter.
6-22 is a ridiculous score to concede in a football match, as you said I don't think there was a whole lot of abuse directed at players. The players have to take some responsibility, can't go completely blaming everything and everyone else. They obviously threw in the towel early days and that's very disappointing. Don't see what he was trying to prove with those comments, unnecessary in my opinion. Up to players and management to move on and focus on remaining games and show that they're not as bad as yesterday might suggest.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

no matter what way we look at it, this is a desperate result for a once proud county, a club team would have put in a better effort

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

summerindublin wrote:no matter what way we look at it, this is a desperate result for a once proud county, a club team would have put in a better effort
And this is the worrying point. had we lost by 8 or 10 points, you'd say we were beaten by better team. To be beaten by 30 with heads obviously dropping and little fight and leadership shown is a worry. There is either something seriously wrong within the squad or there is a huge gap in the quality of Armagh and Offaly - I don't believe the latter is the case.

Lets hope there is a big response in the next game V Tipp in 2 weeks. If we dont win, we are facing relegation in the face as our points difference is the worst of all teams by good distance at moment. Sligo away and Laois at home then become must win games - tough games in a relegation dogfight!
jimbob

tothepoint
Junior C
Club: all

Post by tothepoint »

I'm not defending anyone how ever I would like to point out Johnny Maloney is out injured Brian Darby is out.. Niall Smith retired. Niall Mc looking like he is retired an no one in the county to replace them. It is a very young team at the spine. I do believe it's a development period which needs the support of the county board. We are very limited at the minute. I hope no knee jerk reaction takes place

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly football boss Pat Flanagan is expected to meet with the county’s clubs next Tuesday night amid calls to vacate his post.

Flanagan’s side fell to their county’s heaviest ever league defeat last Sunday when Armagh handed them a 6-22 to 0-10 drubbing at the Athletic Grounds, which leaves them rooted to the bottom of Division 3 with three rounds remaining.

The manner of the 30-point loss saw two club delegates at last Tuesday night’s county board meeting call for the Clara man’s resignation.

“It looks to me that the players aren’t playing for Pat Flanagan,” Cappincur delegate Paul Corrigan is quoted saying by the42.ie.

“He’s brought no players through in his previous two years and is at war with clubs half the time. I don’t know if his position is tenable anymore.”

This is Flanagan’s third year in charge of the Faithful County, having secured promotion from Division 4 during his first season and delivered a first trophy to the county since 2006 with victory over Longford at Croke Park.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bernard Flynn Column: Genuine GAA fans will take no pleasure from Offaly's demoralising defeat to Armagh

No GAA supporter, rival or otherwise, will take any satisfaction in such a result

It was with genuine sadness that I took the news coming out of Navan last Sunday, where Offaly were hammered by Armagh, 6-22 to 0-10.

I didn't think it was possible to score so much in a football game.

No GAA supporter, rival or otherwise, will take any satisfaction in such a result, especially when it's a massively proud GAA county like Offaly.

I'd go so far as to say that they are one of the most passionate GAA counties in Ireland. They absolutely love their hurling and football.

I listened to the reaction from one or two former players who were feeling sorry for the lads on the field, that's understandable but of no use to those involved who should be fronting up and dealing with the real issues.

Yes, anyone would feel sorry for the Offaly players and management who went through such an ordeal. This week has been a lonely soul-searching week I'm sure. At least it should be.

There are a few serious issues that need to be addressed. A hammering of this magnitude should never take place to a rival in the same division, Full stop.

This is the same Armagh team that lost to Laois at home in the Athletic grounds in Armagh - the same team that drew with Sligo.

Taking away nothing from Armagh's brilliant performance, this capitulation has nothing to do with funding or money. It has to do with basic attitude and application and real never-say-die commitment.

We in Meath have been going through tough times also over the last few years, we are now trying to address the real issues, but unless the penny drops with Offaly's players and management - who must take full responsibility for such below-par performances - nothing will change.

With the underage players I have witnessed first hand at u-16 and minor level playing with Offaly over the last four or five years, Sunday's embarrassing annihilation just shouldn't be happening. Not to a proud county like Offaly.

They need to go back to basics. A bit like ourselves in Meath they need to find players who want to play to play for their county at all costs; who want to wear the jersey with absolute respect, pride and passion, and who want to be there for all the right reasons.

The great genuine honest whole-hearted men who wore that great jersey in the past must be devastated after last Sunday.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gae ... aa-9988379

brownie
Junior A

Post by brownie »

firstly , last Sunday was down to poor organisation and poor attitude. both of these issues need to be addressed immediately. there is so much wrong within our club and county set up.
last year we had a system for the club championship that worked well. 1st rd started in late July which didn't interfere with the county teams preparations and gave the club player his season schedule so holidays etc could be planned.now we go back to a one group system voted in by the clubs. 2 games in april and the rest from july onwards.also, the clubs have voted that all county players are available for all rounds of the club leagues. this is a total of 16 or 17 club championship and league games that clubs expect to have county players available. I doubt this ever happened before or is even possible to run smoothly.
this weekend instead of going away and having a think tank , our county players have to play club league . county u21 players and minors are match tied so they are not available .we are not thinking or acting like the better run counties .other counties who are working on a similar budget , louth, Longford, wexford to name a few are not having these problems. we cant blame lack of funding .
finally, after our clubs looking for their own way and creating the mess, they will decide on Pat Flanagans future.we deserve to be where we are unless the county board, clubs, players and supporters cop on.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Ex players mouthing on doesn't help the situation either , making poor mouths about players and the commitments and sacrifices they have to make . If you want to play football at the highest level commit to it and play. I hate all this moaning and talk about funding. Players should be playing for pride and for the county , yes they should be looked after but the first thing said when a hammering is dished out is the players don't get enough funding. I'd like to see the exact figures for each player and see what it costs the county board per year. Maybe we just don't have the talent to compete , maybe the manager hasn't the ability to take the team any further but for me if someone has to take the blame it should be all together and not just let Pat Flanagan take the blame. The attitude has obviously changed from last year , we lost out on promotion narrowly, and people said we better off in division 3 for another year but for me if we had gone into division 2 I think we might have had our gander up a little more and less damaging to be relegated from 2 into 3 rather than slipping from 3-4. Winnable games left and a chance to put the wrongs of last week to rest ,

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Opting to travel to Armagh in cars shows a complete lack of focus on the job in hand.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Opting to travel to Armagh in cars shows a complete lack of focus on the job in hand.
Pure madness. Where did they think they were going........to play a Sunday morning soccer match? It beggars belief.
Is there another team in Ireland that would travel that sort of distance in a few cars? I'm surprised there was an option given to them.......its all fine and well having drink bans, strict training regimes and the like but then not have a policy that the team travel to away games together on a bus!
They have no choice but to go out Sunday week and beat Tipperary now. Worrying signs have been there since the O'Byrne Cup and its hard to see how the corner will be turned here now.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Opting to travel to Armagh in cars shows a complete lack of focus on the job in hand.
Was there no bus arranged or did the players decide to travel by car?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Not alone was there a bus but apparently there was an overnight in the pipeline. But the players' preference was to drive.
kingscounty wrote:
Was there no bus arranged or did the players decide to travel by car?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Not alone was there a bus but apparently there was an overnight in the pipeline. But the players' preference was to drive.
An overnight? Armagh takes 2-2.5 depending where you are traveling from in Offaly. Hardly a cause for a full weekend job. Sleep in your own bed Saturday night. Head off Sunday morning, get lunch, relax for a while, get ready for the game. Go on a team bus, enjoy each other's company.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Poor county board leads to poor teams.

Hurling and Football is at its lowest it ever was in Offaly, while the footballers usually compete at some sort of level last week's result highlights the real problems we are facing.

The question has to be asked was the right man appointment two years ago... Pat Flanagan has a scary pattern with inter county teams he has trained, he does well for the first two years and then the third year the ship starts going in the wrong direction!!
Now it's happening with his Offaly team....Some top top managers went for the job two years ago and we choose to go with him because of cost and probably some talking outside of meetings and interviews....typical shit from Offaly!

Boland and Byrne comedy show runs on!!! "You pay pea-nuts you get monkeys" in this case there is no pay!!