Football league 3 2017

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Football league 3 2017

Post by SearingDrive »

With the league starting this weekend, what do posters think about Offaly's chances in Div. 3, Will we get promoted or will it be back to Div. 4?
Personally I think staying in the third tier will be a good result, but that's just my opinion.

Kevin
All Star

Re: Football league 3 2017

Post by Kevin »

SearingDrive wrote:With the league starting this weekend, what do posters think about Offaly's chances in Div. 3, Will we get promoted or will it be back to Div. 4?
Personally I think staying in the third tier will be a good result, but that's just my opinion.
The teams seem very well matched in this group. Expecting to maintain Division 3 and push hard for promotion again. Pat will demand nothing less.

Good luck to all involved!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Yeah I think similiar situation to last year would be what Flanagan would be looking for.

Obviously Laois and Armagh coming down from div 2 would be looking to go back up straight away.

What is require is a good start and an away win to Longford. Offaly will have a very different team than in The O'Byrne cup and I think Flanagan did that on prupose to be honest.

This game is followed by two home games to Antrim and Louth which in my eyes we have to be winning.

Aramagh and Sligo away will be tough and Tipperary at home also..

Im hoping for 3 wins against Longford, Antrim and Louth.. and take it from there..

Hopefully come the 2nd of April when Leix visit Tullamore there is something to play for.

My prediction is : Tipp and Armagh get promoted and Antrim and Longford go down.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd say it'll be like most Offaly years in Division 3. With a couple of games left, promotion and relegation will both be a possibility.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Any referee listed for the game on Sunday...

Last time there in the League was a bit iffy,,,, Anto was subject to a lot of off the ball stuff which was ignored.

Story was that refs were a bit "in awe of a Longford controlled" refs appointment committee.... Now that was of course not true as refs are totally independant and not subject to influence but I am worried !!!!!

Feverferbar
Junior C

Post by Feverferbar »

We should come through this test on Sunday, however it will be a tough div to get out of this year. If we have pushed on from last year we will have a chance. There will be much tougher tests than this weekend's going forward. I have no idea who the referee is for Sunday but it should not matter. We just need to concentrate on our own game and stop giving out about referees as it makes us look really bad. Hopefully we can get a good crowd out for our first game of the season.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree, but sometimes Anto is his own worst enemy..

Was expecting to see a team named this morning but nothing to be found.

Anyone have any update?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

ryot wrote:Any referee listed for the game on Sunday...

Last time there in the League was a bit iffy,,,, Anto was subject to a lot of off the ball stuff which was ignored.

Story was that refs were a bit "in awe of a Longford controlled" refs appointment committee.... Now that was of course not true as refs are totally independant and not subject to influence but I am worried !!!!!
It might well be a factor.
Longford are well capable of getting stuck in. If you watch them closely, they'll often throw in a late hit or a follow through that refs miss out on.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Ken Garry Rhode
Eoin Rigney Rhode
James Lalor Raheen
Sean Pender (Capt) Edenderry
Declan Hogan Tullamore
Peter Cunningham Bracknagh
David Hanlon Edenderry
Eoin Carroll Cappincur
Jason Gettings Cappincur
Johnny Brickland St Brigids
Micheal Brazil Tullamore
Graham Guilfoyle Clara
William Mulhall Walsh Island
Nigel Dunne Shamrocks
Bernard Allen Tubber

Subs
Alan Mulhall Walsh Island
Brian Darby Rhode
Cian Donoghue St Brigids
Shane Nally Ferbane
Joseph O’Connor St Rynaghs
Conor McNamee Rhode
Leon Fox Ferbane
Sean Doyle Edenderry
Ruairi McNamee Rhode
Nigel Bracken Tullamore
Shane Tierney Daingean

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Killeighman wrote:Ken Garry Rhode
Eoin Rigney Rhode
James Lalor Raheen
Sean Pender (Capt) Edenderry
Declan Hogan Tullamore
Peter Cunningham Bracknagh
David Hanlon Edenderry
Eoin Carroll Cappincur
Jason Gettings Cappincur
Johnny Brickland St Brigids
Micheal Brazil Tullamore
Graham Guilfoyle Clara
William Mulhall Walsh Island
Nigel Dunne Shamrocks
Bernard Allen Tubber

Subs
Alan Mulhall Walsh Island
Brian Darby Rhode
Cian Donoghue St Brigids
Shane Nally Ferbane
Joseph O’Connor St Rynaghs
Conor McNamee Rhode
Leon Fox Ferbane
Sean Doyle Edenderry
Ruairi McNamee Rhode
Nigel Bracken Tullamore
Shane Tierney Daingean
A few players making their debut, hope it works out,how many of the listed team will start? Longford is a tough place to go for a win.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Not far off a potential championship team. O'Connor would be a natural starter for me at wing back. Would see Shane Nally as a better option than a few lads starting also. Reckon Brian Darby will start in full back line and Bernard Allen could be doubtful to start with injuries over past while.....
jimbob

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Best of luck to Offaly later today!!

Hoping for a positive start to what looks like a challenging league campaign!

Go get 'em boys!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Just a little thing I heard yesterday was that James Lalor was instructed not to play for Na Fiannas U21 side on Friday evening on their loss to Gracefield. Now I was unable to attend that game but from what I was told he would have made a difference as he is one of the main players on that squad. I just think that was very unfair on Na Fianna and perhaps should not have played that game in protest. The U21 grade is taken very seriously and you need all your available players. Padraig Farrell last year against St Manchans didn't play the original fixture because Liam Langton was not released by the senior hurlers to play that game. Just wondering on what opinions are on this? Surely club comes before county and it being his own age group also.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Is there not a bye law relating to six days or 13 days covering such eventualities? (I'm not 'having a go' here, merely raising the query.)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Feverferbar
Junior C

Post by Feverferbar »

Lads that did not look good at all today. Where to from here?