Hastings Cup Under 21 Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Phoenix
All Star

Hastings Cup Under 21 Football

Post by Phoenix »

Offaly played Meath today Bank Holiday Monday in Hastings Cup Under 21 Football at noon in Tubber.

I was at the game with the family, although arriving about 10 minutes late. We saw Offaly score a goal to take the lead 1-02 to Meath's 0-03. Meath then took control and it was one-way traffic as they built a lead with a steady stream of points, before and after half-time.

It looked bleak for Offaly as Meath led 0-11 to 1-03. From there on, however, Offaly lifted the tempo and fought hard. They crept into contention and scored a second goal to take the lead, adding a point to go 2 points ahead. Meath had late chances, missing a few scorable frees.

Overall, I don't know about the strength of the teams that were fielded today by Offaly and Meath - hard to say if the Offaly resurgence was down to injuries or substitutions or whatever, but it was still great to see a typical Offaly comeback/ambush.

The Official Offaly GAA Twitter feed gives the Offaly scorers as Ciaran Farrell 1-03 (1 free), Shane Tierney 1-02 (1 free), Shane O'Brien 0-01 and Jordan Hayes 0-01 (free).

Phoenix
All Star

Re: Hastings Cup Under 21 Football

Post by Phoenix »

Final Score Offaly 2-07 Meath 0-11

Maybe some of the other Uibh Fhaili members have more information on the teams and Offaly's prospects for 2017 in U-21 Football.

jimbob17
All Star

Re: Hastings Cup Under 21 Football

Post by jimbob17 »

Phoenix wrote:Final Score Offaly 2-07 Meath 0-11

Maybe some of the other Uibh Fhaili members have more information on the teams and Offaly's prospects for 2017 in U-21 Football.
Saw this team at minor level in 2014 and there was a lot expected of them with good work done under Paschal Kellaghan. They won a few matches but were hammered by Dublin in championship in front of a big crowd in Tullamore. I think they are a lot better than that and under-performed that day. There was decent minor teams since then also with the 2015 group losing out narrowly to eventual champions Kildare and last years team reaching a semi final so there is enough talent there to be very competitive.

From what I know, if they have everyone on board and are organised they should be there or thereabouts. Kildare won the last 2 minor championships and this group would have no fear of them so that is a good sign. Some of the more senior guys would be Ruari McNamee and Jamie Evans who are in final year of U21. Would be hoping that with the talented Adam Mangan having passed away (RIP), lads would make an extra effort for this championship as he was one of the main guys at minor level and up through age grades.
jimbob