Page 2 of 3

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:46 pm
by greenairfield
I believe people don't go for the roles as it takes a team of people to come together to dismantle most of the officers on the board at the minute no point going in on your own.
Most people would be of the opinion why would I put my name forward for a role when there is various "clicks" amongst the county board officers and they would only stab you in the back.
What's more worrying for me a person holding a very important role on that list was ran from his own club due to his lack of capability of doing the job right!!

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:51 pm
by Lone Shark
Okay, let me rephrase, because I wrote that badly.

I have no problem in criticising actions, or individual decisions. I have done, and will do so. Taking the example of fixtures secretary - I certainly believe that there were some things that could have been done a lot better in recent years. However while I will happily say that X or Y should have been done, I would always stop way short of saying that Mary Dunne is unfit for the job - for two reasons. One, there is far more stuff to balance in that gig that 95% of people realise, and I think that she gets far more right than she does wrong. Truth be told, I'd say I'd vote for her over most potential alternatives, if there actually was a contest. But also, she has put her hand up to take on a difficult role when no-one else is willing to do so, and consequently it's out of order to say that she should step aside, because we could end up with another situation comparable to that of the PRO - where there is no-one there to perform the role.

Your point about a study as to why it is so undesirable to take on positions is a fair point however. The vast majority of positions are contested here in Roscommon every year - it's a completely different landscape. Not sure how I could go about examining that though, even if I wished to do so?

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:14 pm
by Bord na Mona man
Is it just a coincidence that a role like PRO which takes a huge amount of time investment is the hardest to fill?

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:20 pm
by substandard
greenairfield wrote:I believe people don't go for the roles as it takes a team of people to come together to dismantle most of the officers on the board at the minute no point going in on your own.
Most people would be of the opinion why would I put my name forward for a role when there is various "clicks" amongst the county board officers and they would only stab you in the back.
!


Funny, I would have thought someone who knows so much about what's wrong would have been an ideal candidate to put things right.
There's the pity.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:35 pm
by greenairfield
who is that now??

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:44 pm
by Lone Shark
greenairfield wrote:I believe people don't go for the roles as it takes a team of people to come together to dismantle most of the officers on the board at the minute no point going in on your own.
Most people would be of the opinion why would I put my name forward for a role when there is various "clicks" amongst the county board officers and they would only stab you in the back.
What's more worrying for me a person holding a very important role on that list was ran from his own club due to his lack of capability of doing the job right!!


Two things.

(1) Here's a crazy thought - how about you (or whoever) does go in on your own. Learn a bit about how things are done, gain a bit of extra expertise in a certain area, and without trying to be too radical in my suggestion, improve things a little bit in a certain area? Of course it would be great to have a full team of like minded individuals with no dissension whatsoever, so that every decision is implemented and supported unanimously. That never happens in real life anywhere, but it would be lovely.
Perhaps if somebody got involved, took on a role and served as an active member of the management committee, they might see that there are more levels and factors involved in the various decision making processes that might previously have been considered to be the case. You perceive there to be cliques, but to be honest, there is plenty of disagreement among those that are there now - the difference is that they work together, because that's how things get done. That's not a clique, that's practicality. I don't think there would be anyone who got involved that would later have said that they were stabbed in the back, as you put it.

(2) It's not as if you'd have to round up 50 people here.Let's say for a moment that you put together six decent people - well you'd be guaranteed to get two of them elected for a start, because there are vacant roles with no nominees. If you get two more in there, which would hardly be unrealistic if the unhappiness out there is as prevalent as you say, well then you have a block of people that can start to have a massive influence. Of course again, this involves a bit of work, a lot of time, and a bit of actually talking to people and finding agreement with people.

That's considerably more difficult than staying on the outside and grumbling like a plague about everybody who is doing their level best to have a positive influence to anyone who'll listen.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:50 pm
by Lone Shark
Bord na Mona man wrote:Is it just a coincidence that a role like PRO which takes a huge amount of time investment is the hardest to fill?


I'd say partially, yes. There's also the fact that the ideal candidate would be young enough to have an understanding about things like social media, website maintenance and updating, but at the same time experienced enough to know how GAA committees and GAA business is done. A PRO is a conduit - their job is to source and supply answers and information, not to create the information themselves. That's a line that not everyone knows how to walk.

And due to human nature, the candidate that would tick both of those boxes is the most likely to have a young family of their own, and so wouldn't have the time needed to take on what is a hugely demanding role. It's no coincidence that the key roles tend to be filled by either mature people with kids that are well into their teens at least.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:34 pm
by greenairfield
Kevin you have your views and that's perfectly fine.
But I have worked with some of these guys before and I would not get involved for that reason..There is different cliques powered by a couple of men who have been involved for years!!
I do wonder why they stay involved every year why would you do it year in year out.
I would not have the time so I am just wondering why do these people go back in year after year.
There is no money in it like you know..so why?Can you tell me that ?
We need men business men to get involved not retired uneducated men to be running the CB.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:31 am
by Lone Shark
greenairfield wrote:Kevin you have your views and that's perfectly fine.
But I have worked with some of these guys before and I would not get involved for that reason..There is different cliques powered by a couple of men who have been involved for years!!
I do wonder why they stay involved every year why would you do it year in year out.
I would not have the time so I am just wondering why do these people go back in year after year.
There is no money in it like you know..so why?Can you tell me that ?
We need men business men to get involved not retired uneducated men to be running the CB.


As for the why, I'd say in the majority of cases it's split between a love for the county and a willingness to serve the cause in the best way they can, and possibly some degree of a social element - which is fine too. I think it's unfair to imply that there is something more sinister going on, which intentionally or otherwise, is what you're doing.

I'd never fault anyone for not having the time - I certainly couldn't do it right now, though I hope to be able to get involved in a meaningful way down the road.

As for a greater number of people from the business community - yes, that would be ideal. I've always said that public sector workers tend to be good at getting the t's crossed and the i's dotted, and at keeping the ship afloat, one week at a time. However when it comes to long term vision and planning, those of a more enterprising and entrepreneurial bent are often the best men to lead. Give me no other information and I'd say that the ideal would be to have a private sector person in the chair, and public sector people in the roles of secretary and treasurer. In Offaly we're good at finding the public sector people, but not the other.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:01 pm
by Toxicity234

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:29 pm
by GOOFY
Padraig Farrell gonna talk about ethics?? Really................. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:25 pm
by substandard
Tommy Byrne elected as chairman by some distance.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 am
by greenairfield
Seems to be a great balance of offices from north offaly and south offaly :?

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:21 pm
by Lone Shark
greenairfield wrote:Seems to be a great balance of offices from north offaly and south offaly :?


And when nobody from South Offaly presents themselves as a candidate for a particular role, that tends to be how it works out.

There's still two vacancies there to be filled if anyone wants to put their hands up.

Re: Chairperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:25 pm
by kingscounty
substandard wrote:Tommy Byrne elected as chairman by some distance.

Goodnight and god bless us