Chairperson

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
feirmeoir
Intermediate

Chairperson

Post by feirmeoir »

who is going to be the new chairperson of Offaly GAA now that Padraig Boland is stepping down

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Re: Chairperson

Post by Keyser Soze »

Danny Owens :D

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Genuine question though - there are a lot of posters on this board who are quick to criticise chairpersons and officials, showing little or no regard for the scale of the job they face. And in the case of several of those posters, I'm sure they'd complain regardless of who took the job - which leads me on to another question - who would people like to see in this role? (Realistic candidates only please!!)

Many clubs in the south of the county are quick to argue that their views don't get taken on board, but is there a candidate from that part of the world willing to step up and actually try and make things better?

Personally I'd love to see Colm Cummins take the job after the work he's done with Edenderry, but I don't know the man's family situation and it takes someone with a lot of free time on their hands to take on a role like this.

Fergal McKeon is another potential candidate, Joe Higgins would be the next in line as he's currently vice chair, and one presumes that Martin Boland may still be interested after he ran the last time. There are other members of the management committee too that may step up .

Is there any candidate there that people would happily row in behind? And note here, if your reply is going to be along the lines of "I don't want X, they're no good...." then please keep it to yourself. I'm not making this post to turn the thread into a whingefest, or a stone throwing contest at some of the most devoted volunteers we do have.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What are the chances of outsider coming in with a slogan of "Make Offaly great again"?

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Bord na Mona man wrote:What are the chances of outsider coming in with a slogan of "Make Offaly great again"?
well then lets be having you !!!!!!! Just announce it !!!!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

ryot wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:What are the chances of outsider coming in with a slogan of "Make Offaly great again"?
well then lets be having you !!!!!!! Just announce it !!!!!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Lone Shark I must say you do great PR work for the the CB, never heard you say a bad word about them.

I think you should go for PRO you would get on great with all them lads!

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

An Edenderry man?
The club that killed hurling in the town?
Brought over age players to underage competitions all over Leinster and beyond?
Ha!
only the best...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The guys that brought the overage hurlers to the blitzes were the issue in that situation not the chairman. Agreed he hasnt done much to promote hurling in the town. Not a good sign when a town of 7,000 people cant field one adult hurling team.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

frankthetank wrote:The guys that brought the overage hurlers to the blitzes were the issue in that situation not the chairman. Agreed he hasnt done much to promote hurling in the town. Not a good sign when a town of 7,000 people cant field one adult hurling team.
Have to agree couldn't let the name mentioned near chairperson job absolutely killed hurling in the town and none of the committee that are there wanted hurling. Doesn't matter how big a town is when a certain gang take over they can do what they like , there was always hurling in Edenderry from the foundation of the club disgraceful what was let happen. So for me we need a chairperson who has an interest in big and small ball , but most importantly someone who has a passion for the county and its people

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Lone Shark I must say you do great PR work for the the CB, never heard you say a bad word about them.

I think you should go for PRO you would get on great with all them lads!
Or to put it another way, I don't fire out blind vitriolic criticism without appreciating that there is a difficult balancing job there. There are times when criticism of individual decisions and plans is justified, and I've never been shy with that. That's not the same as attacking someone and saying that they're unfit for a certain job, when in 90% of cases they were the only ones willing to do it.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Why would u do a job knowing most of the county think your incapable of doing it. You don't get paid so why take all the criticism you have to be utterly stupid or you love Offaly so much you want to stay involved.
I would go for the first one with most of our lads and the fact they love having power.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Why would u do a job knowing most of the county think your incapable of doing it. You don't get paid so why take all the criticism you have to be utterly stupid or you love Offaly so much you want to stay involved.
I would go for the first one with most of our lads and the fact they love having power.
For a start, if most of the county thought this, there would be a real sense of urgency out there about finding people to fill the roles. There isn't which indicates something between apathy and satisfaction, or at the very last, understanding regarding the fact that these are incredibly difficult, time consuming roles with a lot of hidden elements beneath the surface that your average bar stool expert knows nothing about.

As for your complete misunderstanding of the word "fact", well there's not a lot I can do for you on that.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Disappointed to see that yet again, for all the expressed level of disgruntlement with the county board, there has been a complete dearth of people willing to sign up and be part of any sort of change or initiative. Thirteen positions, one of which is vacant, and two stepping down - Padraig Boland (Chair) and Pat Cleary (Coaching Officer).

The only candidates put forward are the existing ten names, plus Laz Molloy going for Leinster council delegate, and Eamon Cusack going for secretary - and Eamon is hardly new, having done a lot of the PRO work over the past few years, even if he isn't officially filling that role.

More than anything else that has happened in the county regarding the senior hurling manager's role, this fills me with a greater sense of worry than anything else - and once again it renders null and void any heavy criticism of those that serve in the positions, because they are quite literally the only ones willing to give the time and energy to do so.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Lone Shark wrote:Disappointed to see that yet again, for all the expressed level of disgruntlement with the county board, there has been a complete dearth of people willing to sign up and be part of any sort of change or initiative. Thirteen positions, one of which is vacant, and two stepping down - Padraig Boland (Chair) and Pat Cleary (Coaching Officer).

The only candidates put forward are the existing ten names, plus Laz Molloy going for Leinster council delegate, and Eamon Cusack going for secretary - and Eamon is hardly new, having done a lot of the PRO work over the past few years, even if he isn't officially filling that role.

More than anything else that has happened in the county regarding the senior hurling manager's role, this fills me with a greater sense of worry than anything else - and once again it renders null and void any heavy criticism of those that serve in the positions, because they are quite literally the only ones willing to give the time and energy to do so.

While it is certainly hugely disappointing and a real indicator of the state of the union, I am not sure that criticism is rendered null and void because they are the only candidates. Once in the role, each person still has a duty to fulfill the role to the highest possible standards. It would be weak of the public and media to not question their actions when in the role and if they are asleep at the wheel, like they were on the hurling report, then that should be reported on and criticised when necessary. Sometimes, that can make an impact and get the existing role holder to do better.

The big question for me here is - Why? Why are no alternatives willing to go on the county board or put their name forward. It seems that there are no end of people willing to volunteer in the GAA for various roles - coaches, backroom team members, fundraising, etc... I find it hard to believe that there are no other people willing to volunteer for CB positions. These must be some reason for that. Until we get to the bottom of the 'why', we won't solve the real problem.