Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby allstar2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Lone Shark wrote:KK beating Rynaghs in that final didn't make KK's approach the right one


So, KK win the final but there approach isn't the right one??? Really???

"Taken aback by his comments??" I doubt very much Owens was slating forde or Rynaghs he doesn't come across as that type of person, I'd imagine he was just thrilled his lads got over the line using a more direct approach anyway you obviously have it against him like the CB to make sure he never gets the county manager job.

Another thing Inter county hurling is becoming very boring for supporters. Take out the AI semi's and final there was nothing to excite the crowds. Over defensive tactics, fear of losing than actually going out and winning. No entertainment. Crowds need to be entertained to keep interest. Last Sunday's game between Ballyea and Thurles was prob game of the year!!
allstar2010
All Star
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby Lone Shark » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:41 pm

sam88885a wrote:LS i heard that interview and i know we all hear what we want but to me Danny was saying that he strongly believed that the more direct style of hurling would reap more rewards for offaly.


I can only assume you heard whoever interviewed him for Radio 3 that day. You certainly didn't hear me interview him, because I was doing it for newspapers, and it was a one on one chat that wasn't broadcast anywhere.

allstar2010 wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:KK beating Rynaghs in that final didn't make KK's approach the right one


So, KK win the final but there approach isn't the right one??? Really???


A team winning a match, or a championship, using a particular style of hurling doesn't automatically make that style of hurling the right one FOR EVERY SITUATION. I've been very clear that the way Kilcormac-Killoughey hurled under Owens' guidance was the right approach for that particular group of players. Owens was right to employ it with them, I just vehemently disagree that this means that it's the right way for any team to hurl, which some people seem to think it does.

allstar2010 wrote:"Taken aback by his comments??" I doubt very much Owens was slating forde or Rynaghs he doesn't come across as that type of person, I'd imagine he was just thrilled his lads got over the line using a more direct approach anyway you obviously have it against him like the CB to make sure he never gets the county manager job.


Danny is normally very fair and even handed, and no, he didn't "slate" Forde or Rynaghs - but he did say, and I quote from my transcript notes:

"This was a great victory for the traditional Offaly way of hurling that won us lots of titles in the eighties and nineties. When Offaly were winning things we played a direct style of hurling and I thought our lads played a very direct game out there today. I’m delighted for that because that’s where I think the future lies. I hate to see this modern form of hurling with lots of handpassing and messing, it doesn't suit the hurlers in this county and I think that result today proves that."

Now Owens has achieved a lot in the game, as a player and as a manager, and he absolutely has the right to hold his own views. However I would say that such rigidity is not ideal for an intercounty manager. Moreover, I was surprised that he thought that criticising the style of play that Forde looked to implement at St Rynaghs was a gracious thing to do fifteen minutes after the final whistle in a county final.

As for me "having it in for him" - not at all. I have conducted interviews with players who are vehemently opposed to him getting the job, and I think it's remarkable that even in his own club, players aren't coming out to bat for him. That worries me, while I'm also conscious of the fact that giving him the job last time out would have been the easy thing to do, the county board could have put him in there and nobody could have criticised them for doing so. They interviewed him, and they chose not to. I don't even know if they spoke to him this time, but I know he wasn't the choice again - and I'm not going to be blasé and just presume that this was for no reason other than bias. I'm not saying that they have a good reason or a bad reason, but they must have a reason - and I'd like to hear one way or another before I make any judgements.

allstar2010 wrote:Another thing Inter county hurling is becoming very boring for supporters. Take out the AI semi's and final there was nothing to excite the crowds. Over defensive tactics, fear of losing than actually going out and winning. No entertainment. Crowds need to be entertained to keep interest. Last Sunday's game between Ballyea and Thurles was prob game of the year!


It's not the job of any team or any manager to play exciting hurling for supporters. Their job is to win - and sometimes, given the players you have, open and attacking hurling with plenty of long balls and one on one contests is the way to go. I don't accept however that it should be the default setting for all teams, and I certainly don't accept that any manager should give the slightest concern about whether his tactics will enthral people in the crowd, as long as he looks to implement the optmial approach for the players at his disposal.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Back Home!

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby sam88885a » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Lone Shark wrote:
sam88885a wrote:LS i heard that interview and i know we all hear what we want but to me Danny was saying that he strongly believed that the more direct style of hurling would reap more rewards for offaly.


I can only assume you heard whoever interviewed him for Radio 3 that day. You certainly didn't hear me interview him, because I was doing it for newspapers, and it was a one on one chat that wasn't broadcast anywhere.

allstar2010 wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:KK beating Rynaghs in that final didn't make KK's approach the right one


So, KK win the final but there approach isn't the right one??? Really???




Danny is normally very fair and even handed, and no, he didn't "slate" Forde or Rynaghs - but he did say, and I quote from my transcript notes:

"This was a great victory for the traditional Offaly way of hurling that won us lots of titles in the eighties and nineties. When Offaly were winning things we played a direct style of hurling and I thought our lads played a very direct game out there today. I’m delighted for that because that’s where I think the future lies. I hate to see this modern form of hurling with lots of handpassing and messing, it doesn't suit the hurlers in this county and I think that result today proves that."

LS how could u find any dig at F Foard or St rynagh in that interview , they man has a view on how hurling ,that final was a clash of tradition style against a modern style .
If st rynagh had won and F Foard had that it was a victory for modern hurling u would have not seen it as a dig at KK Or D Owens .
i agree with everything that he said when we were at the top we play direct hurling ,that wasnt the only reason that we won so returing back to basic could not harm us.
Ur anti Owens views are apparent in ur praise of Kevin Ryans appointment on this weeks paper.
I dont think D owens was the answer but he has some to offer maybe give him the u 21 job and see how he does .
An interview 15 minutes after winning 3 in a row should rule a guy out of future management posts in my opinion.
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby Lone Shark » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:56 pm

If there is a difference of opinion with regard to the tone of what he said, then so be it. Those are the words, people can draw their own conclusions.

And no, I'm not dismissing him from the role on the basis of that interview, nor am I dismissing him generally. He may yet be Offaly manager someday - but I stand by what I said in the paper, which is that there is a huge gulf between club and county hurling, and I would be very slow to give someone the county job on the strength of success with one club team. If they've gone to three or four clubs and won championships, or if they've augmented their CV with victories in other arenas, then I'll say that they're ready - but that's not the case yet for Owens. In fairness to him, he went out and he took on the Westmeath minor job and I will give him credit for that. As discussed here, lots of former medal winners in Offaly are much more interested in the handy well paid club roles, Owens seems to want to add more experience in different roles and I applaud him for that.

And would I give him the under-21 job, if he looked for it? Almost certainly, yes.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Back Home!

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby sam88885a » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:02 pm

LS the old saying its hard to be a prophet in ur own land or far away field are greener comes to mind .
Danny managed KK minors to success yet im told he had to almost beg for a chance to manage their seniors .When they succeeded many gave the credit to J Dunne yet when they were finally beaten it was all Danny fault .So this year J Dunne was still there and M Fogerty came in with a massive cv ,but KK never preformed anywhere near the level of 2014 .
So its completely unfair to dismiss Dannys role .
i wouldnt expect club players to get involved in picking a manager ,imagine S Dooley saying Joe Billy Or Johnny should get the job.Players job is to hurl in my opinion.
He succeeded in creating a great team spirit ,he seem to be very good in the dressing room and KK always look hungry and fresh.
Inter county is a step up but it is possible that he could step up too with a good team around him. He would have better players at county level and better backroom team .
LS i read ur article today and it surprised he how supportive u were of Kevin Ryan .
If he is that good he would be in some coaching role in Waterford because they are putting huge work in , that what worries me are these guys on the gravy train?
B Carroll and Daithe Regan wanted a native guy that knew the club players and what type of game suited them.
Time will tell but ur article was very one sided ,Dismiss any native guys and endorse Kevin Ryan because he an outsider .
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby allstar2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:07 pm

If Owens was from Laois, Westmeath, Carlow and even Wexford and had the success with a club in that county, 3 county titles, a Leinster title, Leinster finalist and an All Ireland final appearance he'd be a shoe-in for the job no doubt about it. But for some reason he's not even interviewed for the Offaly job. I want to add I don't know the man from Adam but I just find it very strange that he and others in the county are being ignored.

Look at Kevin Martin, he won a county title in Laois and Offaly, he's cut his cloth why isn't he given a chance. Paul Murphy even. It just seems ridiculous that the CB are continuously ignoring our very own. The CB end up going after a lad that didn't even apply for it, it's embarrassing at this stage.

You say you know some current players vehemently oppose Owens getting the job, maybe ask those players to throw out there medals on the table! Also , the appointment of Fogarty to KK was lauded this time last year as if he was going to walk an All Ireland with KK, if anything they've regressed under his tenure.
allstar2010
All Star
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby greenairfield » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:10 pm

They are all club managers not county.
Owens or Paul Murphy 100% would not be up to it!!
greenairfield
All Star
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby sam88885a » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Its LS attitude that i find amazing me and its seem to mirror the CB view that there is no point in talking to native guys. There only club managers .
I know lots club hurlers would love to have Danny Owens as manager , there are guys outside the panel that love KK style but there are also guys that this he would be up to it .
The truth is no one know we can only look at his record at club level, he doesnt know himself.
B Cody would not have qualified if experence at intre county level was required .


If the county board were any good they would go to Danny Owens ,Kevin Martain Joe Dooley M duignan and A Fogerty and persuade one of them to take on the U21 job so they will have gained experence when the Waterford guys leave for a better payed job near home .
Thats what u would called a plan but LS or the CB would not agree with the idea of planning for our self.

Go out there and find a prophet that can teach us backward people how to hurl and make a big plan for us .
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby KeshaWantsTimber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Half the lads on here cant even spell never mind discuss the pros and cons of managers, the state of Offaly hurling etc.

And yes I know you will throw it back at me that 'spelling isn't important, it's hurling knowledge that's important.'

Well maybe that is true but coming on here and spelling every second word wrong is sloppy and lazy especially when spellcheck is automatic on this forum.

Successful people are generally thorough, especially when dealing with things they are passionate about, so my guess is that half the lads on here are keyboard warriors who wouldn't have the first notion how to appoint a suitable manager.



But sher wot wud I no abut Offaky hurking. Im not brain Coady. :lol:
KeshaWantsTimber
Junior A
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 am

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby Keyser Soze » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:58 pm

allstar2010 wrote:If Owens was from Laois, Westmeath, Carlow and even Wexford and had the success with a club in that county, 3 county titles, a Leinster title, Leinster finalist and an All Ireland final appearance he'd be a shoe-in for the job no doubt about it. But for some reason he's not even interviewed for the Offaly job. I want to add I don't know the man from Adam but I just find it very strange that he and others in the county are being ignored.

Look at Kevin Martin, he won a county title in Laois and Offaly, he's cut his cloth why isn't he given a chance. Paul Murphy even. It just seems ridiculous that the CB are continuously ignoring our very own. The CB end up going after a lad that didn't even apply for it, it's embarrassing at this stage.

You say you know some current players vehemently oppose Owens getting the job, maybe ask those players to throw out there medals on the table! Also , the appointment of Fogarty to KK was lauded this time last year as if he was going to walk an All Ireland with KK, if anything they've regressed under his tenure.


I wouldn't think too many fellas "apply" for intercounty management jobs. Fellas are generally approached, sounded out and interviewed.
Keyser Soze
Junior A
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby biffinbanner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:27 pm

interesting thread this.. its strange how danny hasnt got a shot at it really with his cv. but i suppose historically offaly have won everything they have with outside managers fr gilhooly(not sure of spelling sorry!!), eugene mcgee,and mick lyons in football, diarmuid healy eamon cregan and michael bond in hurling.. so maybe the blueprint for success or at least progression seems to be an outside person as manager. weve had a few disasters both from inside and outside but by and large it seems weve a better chance with outside manager...best of luck to kevin ryan..and also to pat flanagan with the footballers who seems a confident calm realistic guy who knows what he has and trys to make the most of it..
biffinbanner
Senior
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby sam88885a » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:58 pm

biffinbanner wrote:interesting thread this.. its strange how danny hasnt got a shot at it really with his cv. but i suppose historically offaly have won everything they have with outside managers fr gilhooly(not sure of spelling sorry!!), eugene mcgee,and mick lyons in football, diarmuid healy eamon cregan and michael bond in hurling.. so maybe the blueprint for success or at least progression seems to be an outside person as manager. weve had a few disasters both from inside and outside but by and large it seems weve a better chance with outside manager...best of luck to kevin ryan..and also to pat flanagan with the footballers who seems a confident calm realistic guy who knows what he has and trys to make the most of it..

I agree Pat Flanagan always seem calm and seem to be able to bring guys along and get them to preform.
I hope Kevin Ryan can do the same , I dont have a problem with him , its the process that was use to appoint him .
sam88885a
All Star
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby biffinbanner » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 am

i see there wa sa long and protracted meeting last night before kevin ryan got ratified?the kk boys were batting for danny to get the job?
biffinbanner
Senior
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby allstar2010 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:27 pm

Just from following Will O'C tweets (who I must add is doing a great job informing the ordinary gaa fan) the county board meeting seemed to be interesting last night! It seemed like the CB wanted to just push on with this new manager of senior hurlers eventhough there seemed to be opposition from delegates. Glad to hear KK stand up for Owens and question why he wasn't given the job. Not a great start for Ryan.
allstar2010
All Star
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Postby biffinbanner » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:36 pm

debate is good..people have their say and if the vote goes against them so be it..its democracy as donald trump said many times!!?!?
biffinbanner
Senior
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests