Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by sam88885a »

private joker wrote:
sam88885a wrote:i agree such a negative game plan turn supporters and players off .
It Bullshite anyway cork did it last year and they were awyfull ,this year cork are playing a real positive type of hurling and their flying .
Attack is the best way of defending in my view , .
Offaly don't remotely have the same quality of player that cork do. Cork won the minor final today by 17 points.
They won every u underage competition last year from 14 up. There's a red wave coming.
I agree totally .Cork have class . I wasnt comparing us to Cork ,what i was saying was Cork played a very defensive game last year but this year the are attacking with flair .Its a Joy to watch .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Just wondering is there any chance that the Offaly county board would talk to Anthony Cunningham before Dublin make him an offer he cant refuse .

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

what attraction would offaly have for anthony cunningham? or indeed any top manager. zero underage success in recent years,in other words very little coming.a disfunctional county board with a low tolerance level unless they do a paul daniels trick with the team? dublin are miles and miles ahead of us in both players and whats coming up behind them under age..

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

The idea of bringing in a supposed "big name" manager to turn things around in my opinion is symptomatic of how delusional and out of touch we have become.

First of all what competent manager with any track record of coaching/managing at a sufficiently high level outside of the county would want to take the job given

the terrible underage record we have over the last number of years

the failure to put in place a cohesive development squad system

the sheer incompetence of the county board

the lack of required finance available with no obvious sign of any effort to attract new commercial revenue streams with the exception of the Bord Na Mona deal

the real prospect under the revised hurling structures that we will not even be competing in the McCarthy Cup soon - see here http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 75540.html

I have said it before and I will say it again - we should completely right off our senior prospects over the next 5/7 years at least. Go back to the under 14 grade and start from there. We should go to Croke Park and ask them to take over the running of our affairs similar to the trioka coming in here in when they bailed us out in 2010. If Offaly GAA was a business we would be placed in receivership and outside competent managers would be brought into see if there were any prospects of survival. At this moment in time our prospects of surviving are very slim :(

Apologies for the negativity

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Can't understand why offaly would be in top 10.
Laois, westmeath and offaly should playoff to see who takes top ten spot. Westmeath are better than offaly I would say at this moment in time.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

While I accept that Westmeath are better than Offaly currently, Offaly's win over tgem earlier this summer would rank the so-called faithful county (faithful to what?) ahead of Westmeath.

But I'm glad you raised the point on the proposed structure. This proposal should be rejected. Completely. Where is the incentive for Offaly? Four heavy defeats, the opposition scoring anything between 26 and 35 times? Twice is enough to be beaten, as currently is the case. It's hard enough to keep a panel together as it is with lads fecking off to concerts and car rally and not coming back, without the proposed format.

And there is no incentive at all to hurl in the proposed second tier. No qualifying for a Leinster quarter-final, no trophy, no chance for glory.

And I do agree with EiC' s post above that piling resources into the Senior team is throwing good money after bad. Far better resource the underage structure. Sadly, this week's revelations reveal there is no appetite for this either.
private joker wrote:Can't understand why offaly would be in top 10.
Laois, westmeath and offaly should playoff to see who takes top ten spot. Westmeath are better than offaly I would say at this moment in time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Is ken hogan a realistic option for manager. Experienced at high level with appreciation and experience of Offaly hurling.

Agree we are lucky to be considered top 10 and think both Westmeath and Laois are better than us at present.

Think a second tier should have 8 teams with two groups of four with trophy at end and winner getting into all Ireland quarter final. Laois Westmeath, meath, kerry, Antrim, Carlow and Kildare. Add one more from pick of Derry, down, Armagh or wicklow! In fact, offaly would be better served at present in such a competition than being hockeyed regularly at Liam Mccarthy cup level.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Danny Owens is meant to be the front runner

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

private joker wrote:Danny Owens is meant to be the front runner
He really has Tullamore flying it!
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

are you serious.. Danny Owens.. talk about ten steps back..

at the end of the day it will depend on funds and what mad man would want the job..

what we need is a name, somone like Davy Fitz, somone that will bring lads back to wanting to play for offaly, take no bullshit, has experience in professional system.

who that person is ? can list a few but at the end of the day it all comes down to money available.

if i was selecting it would be Anthony Chunningham or Anthony Daly but I'm sure they are not realistic. after that Cirain Carey and Mark Foley or even a second term for Ollie Baker.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Davy style of hurling would be a problem if we had the hurlers and the money to attract him .We dont have either .
I could not see Davy allowing a team that he managed to play the hurling that Tipp and Galway treated us to on Sunday . Himself and donal Og are both into "modern " hurling whereas i think both have been left behind hurling have evolved again back into 15 on 15 smart fast direct hurling .
I think M Duignan and D Regan would be a much better fit that Baker Foley or Carey but A Cuningham would be ideal with Duignan and Regan as selectors .
its the offaly county board we are dealing with so the Down Antrim carlow Kerry Derry and Mayo hurling managers are lightly to be considered first that the limit of our county boards ambition.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree, probably put together a selection committee with Chuningham, Sheedy, Daly.. all best possible candidates..

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

In an ideal world, a big name with proven credentials would be a tonic, and every effort should be made to go after someone of this calibre, BUT these type of managers pick their projects carefully- they don't go where they don't think they'll make significant progress. There are a number of factors that would see them giving Offaly the dummy handpass: the underage record, the perception of the county board, the quality of players available based on the last few campaigns.
There might be an appeal for an ambitious, modern, younger candidate to cut his teeth, but this carries risks for both parties: the board to be indicted for penny-pinching and lack of ambition, and the manager could have his reputation tarnished from the off with a bad experience.
Whoever takes on the role is likely to be a sacrificial lamb- this doesn't make for an appealing job-description. The likes of Duignan, Regan, or people of their standing need to step into the breach- but when you look at what happened to Dooley and Whelehan, why would any former great want this? And even more important would be the composition of the backroom team. It's no good having names floating around that are going to have some vague role 'working with backs/ forwards', and then hearing in 6 or 9 months as the storm clouds gather that this individual was only there once or twice.
Leaving aside cost, realistically what is the likelihood of getting a blue-ribbon manager in? Nil chance, in my opinion: I'd love to be wrong about this. What would the aims be for next season- or in the next three seasons? People would need to be pragmatic. I said before about putting distance between Offaly and Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Kerry, and I was told catch up with Laois. Over the coming years, add Meath and Kildare to that list. Ryan was lambasted for stating the objective to avoid a drubbing. This is where semantics comes in- defeatist, pessimistic, realistic/ pragmatic, optimistic. Knowing my luck, I'll never win the lotto. The chances of winning it are next to nothing. But if I don't buy a f***ing ticket, how can I win? I hope to Christ I win it this weekend, or at least before back to school. Semantics.
So to sum up, there needs to be joined-up thinking regarding the selection of a manager and the backroom team. It has to be an Offaly man, or combination. They will need thick skins. There needs to be exceptional coaches who can work as part of this structure without the pressure and scrutiny which the manager will bear the brunt. They need to be in situ soon, very soon, in order to see the knockout stages of the championship. Not because there's dozens of unknown hurlers out there just waiting to be discovered, but psychologically it would be an extra dimension for players performing in the club championship knowing county management was observing, and plans can be put in place to start gym and fitness programs asap.
We'll wait til December to see what will happen...

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

i agree with all your comments.. the only thing i will highlight is that things can't get any worse so this might be the only attraction to a top named manager.. one person I was very impressed with was Cirain Carey who also had Mark Foley with him when @ kerry.. somebody like Cirain could be an ideal candidate for the job.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:i agree with all your comments.. the only thing i will highlight is that things can't get any worse so this might be the only attraction to a top named manager.. one person I was very impressed with was Cirain Carey who also had Mark Foley with him when @ kerry.. somebody like Cirain could be an ideal candidate for the job.
Before K Ryan was appointed C Carey was talked about as a good candidate ,i happened to be in Limerick at that time and the view there was he was a fantastic hurler which got him jobs but he didnt have the skills to manage .
If K Ryan was a great coach he be part of the waterford backroom set up and i suspect the same is the case with C Carey and m Foley in Limerick.