Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mrbrightside
Junior A

Offaly hurling manager??

Post by Mrbrightside »

Just wondering who Ye all think of as a worthy successor to Eamonn Kelly? Gonna throw out a few names and see what everyone else makes:
Outsiders:
Liam sheedy
James mc garry
Anthony Cunningham
Francy forde
Anthony Daly
Johnny Kelly
Ken hogan
From within county:
Danny Owens
Joachim Kelly
Ger Coughlan
Ciaran mc Donald
Benny Kelly
Paddy Kirwan
Jimmy Dunne
Billy Dooley

Rodgie
Junior B

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by Rodgie »

Mrbrightside wrote:Just wondering who Ye all think of as a worthy successor to Eamonn Kelly? Gonna throw out a few names and see what everyone else makes:
Outsiders:
Liam sheedy
James mc garry
Anthony Cunningham
Francy forde
Anthony Daly
Johnny Kelly
Ken hogan
From within county:
Danny Owens
Joachim Kelly
Ger Coughlan
Ciaran mc Donald
Benny Kelly
Paddy Kirwan
Jimmy Dunne
Billy Dooley
I think there are a few more outsiders in the mix but out of that list maybe
Ger Coughlan as manager
Paddy Kirwan as selector
Joachim Kelly as selector
Francis Forde or Johnny kelly as coach.

Keyser Soze
Intermediate
Club: S Club 7

Post by Keyser Soze »

I don't think you will be seeing Ger Coughlan and Paddy Kirwan on the same management team anytime soon!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Kevin Ryan from Waterford has been recommended by the committee put in place to find a new manager. One of his coaches is to be Paul Flynn. As far as I know he has managed Carlow and Antrim in previous years and managed Tyrone hurlers in 2016. Quite the CV!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

And Eamon Kelly has just been appointed Laois manager. Talk about a big FU to the Offaly County Board. What was his official line for leaving again? Couldnt give the commitment?? Laois must only be part-time so!!!

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Not really sure what to say..............

Interesting to hear Eamon Kelly on his commitment to the Laois cause
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Just shows how pissed of kelly was with offaly set up. Players too hard to deal with. Don't know what he is thinking going to laois. Just as difficult to handle and less quality players. Mad stuff to be honest.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Kelly left because the CB who lone shark constantly backs would not give the team the support that Kelly wanted now he goes to Laois.

Yet again everyone laughs at us again.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Wow. Probably more news in what is not said in the Laois appointment than the Offaly one. Doesnt it say a lot about what is going on, or not going on? Will be interesting to see Offaly players reaction to this as he was generally well regarded by them. Could it affect their involvement this year with senior team? It is a possibility in my opinion.

For the record, I think Ryan would be a good appointment. Did great work with Carlow but couldnt overcome the significant issues in Antrim hurling. I'd be fairly confident if he has the best lads available - and that is a big if - he will do well.

There are also some other appointments to be made and we are well behind others in appointments - for what reason I don't know. There is nothing about U21 hurling manager while Ned O Connor is set to continue as far as I know with minor hurlers.

Have not heard but has Pat Flanagan been reappointed? Minor and U21 football dont seem to have anybody or no news about them while it is possible that last years managers at both grades are staying on?
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

private joker wrote:Just shows how pissed of kelly was with offaly set up. Players too hard to deal with. Don't know what he is thinking going to laois.
Has Kelly ever stated this?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kevin Ryan seems a solid appointment. His track record is decent given that Carlow and Antrim aren't rich in talent.
Unfortunately there are limits to what he can achieve in Offaly, but there is scope for progress all the same.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

A complete an utter joke of an a appointment, Only in Offaly would this happen.
This appointment is more about stopping someone getting the job than getting someone that wanted the job.
Ryan was only approach when the a county board member found out that Danny Owens had the votes to get the job.
Ask anyone in Waterford Flynn is a terrible coach.
Once again a personal problem had been put ahead what is best for Offaly hurling.
Once again p boland has sat back and let a county board delagete step in and put forward a coach instead of an manager at the last min, The county board will vote him in,
This is abuse of the highest order.
The lads above me think Ryan and Flynn are good manager and coaches there wrong. Ryan is a very poor manager and that coming from players he managed.
Ryan and Flynn will be getting paid by session so you can expect the Offaly hurler not to be able to walk by Christmas. Ryan and Flynn will be able to go yo Vegas for Christmas.
Ryan and Flynn know NOTHING about Offaly hurling so the normal someone from the county board will be telling them who to pick so we're fucked from the start.
Expect McDonald to be appointed as a selector so his idea of who good enough will be carried forward again.

P. Boland has fucked over Offaly hurling again. An appointment more about ego's in the CB than hurling in Offaly.
ANOTHER SAD DAY FOR A ONCE GREAT COUNTY.

Like our last manager Kelly who only came for the money, Cause of the ego's within Offaly hurling we will now pay thousands of euro to two Waterford men instead of investing in Offaly future.
Ryan and Flynn are here cause of the money not cause they love Offaly hurling.
Bullshit appointment. Will destroy any young hurler in Offaly and they leave saying the same shit as, It's all the players fault that they won't training 15 times a week. While there taking 150 euros per sessions.

Offaly hurling dead. Murdered by a county board that no interested in doing what best for Offaly hurling.

This is a really shit appointment
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Give the man a chance anyway , in all honesty we can't be expecting much from anyone , it's years of neglect at underage that's the problem. I certainly wouldn't be judging a person before a sliothar is even hit.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Lets be honest, this is not an attractive position for anyone. It was never going to attract the likes of Donal O'Grady, Anthony Daly, Anthony Cunningham etc. On the positive, you'd be hoping Paul Flynn can get a misfiring forward line going. He was a great player and surely he can offer a lot. I'm disappointed that an internal manager wasn't given the job, the state that the senior setup is in it couldn't get any worse by appointing someone from within the county. But all that said, it's the underage set up that's more important than the senior set up in the short term and I think (hope) that's where the CBs priorities lie.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

kingscounty wrote:Give the man a chance anyway , in all honesty we can't be expecting much from anyone , it's years of neglect at underage that's the problem. I certainly wouldn't be judging a person before a sliothar is even hit.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”