Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by sam88885a »

I heard D Mooney wasn't asked in with the first 38 and was very insulted.
Are u saying Colin Egan is gone too?
Those 5 were first team players last year and would have got all E Kelly high performance training .
If Murphy Mooney Mc Donald and Wynne are all gone we are very short in defence and if Egan and Mahon are gone who is going to do the donkey work in the forwards .S Dooley and J Bergin .?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

As far as I know Offaly have only had one game so far and that was against Waterford. If Seán Coughlan dropped himself after one game, and as was already mentioned, before we had selectors in place that is a very strange one.

Dermot Mooney can feel hard done by. I'm by no means his biggest fan but has hurled constantly with Offaly over the last number of years and was entitled to be called in to the extended panel. Obviously Liam Dunphy and James McGrath don't rate him. Looking forward you would have to fear for Offaly this year. Wont be long now before lads start dropping themselves off the panel left, right and centre.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote: Dermot Mooney can feel hard done by. I'm by no means his biggest fan but has hurled constantly with Offaly over the last number of years and was entitled to be called in to the extended panel.
Dermot isn't the most consistent hurler in the couny but he's clearly talented and I'd consider him to be far more likely to make an impact in a Leinster championship game against Laois or Galway than a lot of the possible alternatives, at least off the bench if not as a starter.

However that said, I'd have a problem with the idea that anyone is entitled to a place in the panel, particularly someone who has walked off a panel previously.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Nobody is saying anyone is entitled to a place and a lad should not be judged about walking off a panel previously. Wait til you see Guiney this year with Wexford, Davy will have will nailed into his first 15.

Relationship break down between people and walking away is the only resolution. This is an ametuer sport at the end of the day.

I fully fear for Offaly hurling this year.
Prediciting relegation from Diviosion 1b to 2A
Galway @ home is not a nice way to start the campaign and then to face Laois and Limerick away, with Davy bringing Wexford up after that. Can see 3 big beatings in these fixtures and a banana skin in Portlaoise.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Are we any closer to getting selectors in place??

When you think of the number of players that have walked away for whatever reason over the last few years it really is incredible and attitude of the players and clubs really has to change if there is to be any progress made. I've great respect for the likes of James Dempsey, Shane Dooley and Sean Ryan lads that have consistently stuck with it over the years when things were going from bad to worse, it's for those lads in particular that I would love to see us do well. Other players in the county should be looking at the commitment and dedication shown by those lads. In most recent years we've seen the likes of Shane Kinsella and Paddy Murphy step up to the plate. But there is way too many players in this county that are good enough for intercounty hurling but choose not to be involve and that's disappointing and I feel clubs are not encouraging players to get involved.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

I think ur been very unfair to D Mooney ,he has never been given a run of game in one position for offaly , his very consistent for his club and is one of the leaders with them. I think his best position is around midfield .
I know both S Coughlan and D Mooney really love their hurling and are decent guys but it may be impossible for them to give the time that K Ryan expects especially if there are 38 guys ahead.
I guess its back to talent verses commitment . Do u try to manage the talented guys and get them to train as well and as much as possible or do u try to get committed guys ,Then train and coach them 5 or 6 days a week and hope they develop into hurlers.

B Cody always talks about picking u club leaders and he also says that its rubbish to say a guy is only a club hurler ,if he can do it at club level he can step up to county level .
He talks about Eamon Kennedy who people saw as one sided and slow at club level but he saw a leader and put him centre back for Kilkenny.
I don't know what games that u21 management watched if they think there are 38 better hurlers in offaly than D Mooney .
Are we casting aside all our leaders at club level , take kk how could C Kiely make the offaly panel ahead of B Leonard G Healion K Grogan C Mahon C Slevin . They all have been big club players he has struggled to step up to senior club hurling in my opinion and on his 2016 form he does not deserve to be picked .
Yes we all know he has talent and potential but D Mooney performance at club level in 2016 were at a much higher level .
I fear for offaly this year we seem to starting from scratch again with a young light team that wont be able to cope with big physical teams like Kilkenny and galway.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

sam88885a wrote:I think ur been very unfair to D Mooney ,he has never been given a run of game in one position for offaly , his very consistent for his club and is one of the leaders with them. I think his best position is around midfield .
http://www.uibhfhaili.com/offalygaa/res ... lected=821

Twelve of his fourteen starts over two seasons have been at wing back. That would be a very reasonable run of games, no?
sam88885a wrote:
I know both S Coughlan and D Mooney really love their hurling and are decent guys but it may be impossible for them to give the time that K Ryan expects especially if there are 38 guys ahead.
I guess its back to talent verses commitment . Do u try to manage the talented guys and get them to train as well and as much as possible or do u try to get committed guys ,Then train and coach them 5 or 6 days a week and hope they develop into hurlers.
I have no knowledge of the personal situations that the two lads are in, and how realistic or not it is for them to commit to an intercounty programme. However if they aren't in a position to do what Kevin Ryan is asking, then of course it's open and shut - shake hands, wish them the best, and move on with lads who are able to do what needs to be done. Every top level player and manager will give you the same answer in that regard - the day you start asking less of the group in order to allow some people to keep up, you're holding everyone back.

There will always be guys working in different parts of the country, fellas who have different working schedules, personal life issues and so on - you manage them as best you can by all means, and in some cases, physical attendance at every single session is not necessary - however there still are certain standards that need to be met, and you can't have a situation with one rule for some and a different framework for others. Kevin Ryan needs to decide what his programme is for the year, offer it to the hurlers he deems to be the best in the county, and when some of those aren't able to do that, move on to the next guys in the pecking order.

Again I stress this is all in the general case - I've no idea if this is applicable to the two lads or not, but I'd say the same if we were talking about Shane Dooley either. Talent can't be used as an excuse to pull the reins on the group as a whole.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

L S Kevin Ryan has not a clue who is the best hurlers in the county ,as was the case with E Kelly last year his working with guys that want to train but my fear come next may when he see club game like E Kelly did ,he despair at the deck of card he has been given .It was clear E Kelly felt that he was asked to build a team without most of the decent club hurlers.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

sam88885a wrote:L S Kevin Ryan has not a clue who is the best hurlers in the county ,as was the case with E Kelly last year his working with guys that want to train but my fear come next may when he see club game like E Kelly did ,he despair at the deck of card he has been given .It was clear E Kelly felt that he was asked to build a team without most of the decent club hurlers.

Sam, the best lads in the county are on the panel regardless who is in there, they are the best in the county. Anyone else doesn't want/can't commit so end of story. There's no Seamie Callanan, Paudie Maher or TJ Reid out there at club level that hasn't got a call. So just forget about talking about lads that should be in there, they obviously don't have the stomach for it and that's their choice.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

kevin ryan im sure at this stage has been well briefed on the top 50/60 hurlers in offaly.as said above weve no pilkingtons dooleys whelehans hanemys lurking unfound,as in the glory days there were lads well fit to get on the team but for whatever reason couldnt commit and that was their choice.its still an amateur game etc..the best of luck to kevin ryan .he has what he has. im hopeful the minors can make a bit of a splash in the next 3 /4 years which might bring us back near the top table..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Give me a team of strong characters, in preference to fifteen hurlers, every day.

And best wishes to those who have answered the call. I can't imagine how tough it is for you right now, dark damp nights and hardly a hurl or a ball to be seen, but stick at it and eventually the evenings will grow brighter and the ground will harden.

And f*** the begrudgers.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Give me a team of strong characters, in preference to fifteen hurlers, every day.

And best wishes to those who have answered the call. I can't imagine how tough it is for you right now, dark damp nights and hardly a hurl or a ball to be seen, but stick at it and eventually the evenings will grow brighter and the ground will harden.

And f*** the begrudgers.
Very true. I think Kevin Ryan deserves a chance to manage Offaly, without all the negativity. The most committed players will put in the hard work for the county.
Season's greetings to all posters.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

I hear Johnny Dooley believes he can get Joe Bergin Eanna Murphy S Coughlan D Mooney Conor Mahon D Currams B Leonard and R Hughes back on board in early feburary .It would be great to get 3 or 4 of them back even .
Best of luck to all involved and season greetings to everyone.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Ryan adds Cahill to his Offaly backroom team

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=264520

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Is there a bit of problem if he is "hoping to get them back"!

Why aren't they there in first place. Few of them lads have rarely if ever performed for senior team in championship. Is there something hugely wrong with the culture of the whole thing when likes of Hughes and Leonard, coughlan etc aren't chomping at bit to make a name for themselves as a hurlers. Club level is way lower than county senior. Some lads are just happy to be a perceived big fish in small pond rather than willing to test themselves against best in country. I'd have huge concerns for next year if this is how it's playing out already. We have such an inferiority complex when it comes to backing our own people with involvement in county senior team. We are small county and cannot afford to be without our best players.

Anybody have idea of current panel?
jimbob