Offaly hurling manager??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Offaly hurling manager??

Post by kingscounty »

theoutsider wrote:
kingscounty wrote:Bit off topic, have we many lads hurling colleges hurling this year? Great to see my own club man Eoghan Kelly Edenderry win a division two league final with the Garda College , Paudie Maher centre back on the team. From chatting with a few boys I think there is 4 or 5 lads from Offaly going to be hurling with the Garda College, Peter Bergin , Kinnity, Kevin Nugent Belmont the more young lads we get hurling in colleges the better.
Will he have a team to hurl with next year or will Edenderry be fielding a team? I hear rumours of Gracefield/Edenderry combining does any one know?

Great to see Offaly hurlers on a colleges team hurling at a high level anyway - hopefully more to come
I very much doubt it, it would be big surprise if Edenderry field a team, sad to say it but that's the way the thing has gone. Anyone word on Offaly are they back training or on any programmes yet?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Lads this is off topic but can anyone tell me was it 03 the last time that offaly got to a leinster minor final?
If so what was the team ? Was Joe Bergin and S Dooley on it?
Did the lose by a few point to a kilkenny team. Was Cha fitz and R Power on that team?
I think this is the list of minors managers since 2000
2000- 2001 P Kirwan
02-03-04 D Owens
05-06 Johnny Dooley
06-07 Ger Coughlan
08-09 Johnny pilkington
11-12 j cleary
12-13 J Leahu
14- 15 J Errity
!6-17 N O connor

I know all above were manager not sure about the years though.
Can anyone help especially with that 03 minor team ,Wondering how many are big players with their clubs , they would 28 or 29 now

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Thats correct. Offaly lost to Killkenny by 5 or 6 points and Killkenny went on to win the all ireland.

Most of the lads would be 29-31 years old now.

I might be wrong but I dont think Dooley was on the panel but Bergin was definetely on that team.

I forget starting 15 but the panel looked something like : Dylan Hayden, Paul Cleery, Geroid O Grady, Eamonn Lee, Neil Rodgers, Thomas Coughlan, Kevin Grogan, Kevin Saddler, Harry Ryan, Robert Ryland James Keane, Stephen Delaney, Derek Molloy, Daniel Hoctor, Declan Cordial, Eddie Beavens, Colin O Meara

Killkenny had John Dalton, Cha Fitz, Richie Power (Captain), John Tennyson, Donnacha Cody, Michael Fennelly and the most dangerous minor in the country at the time Eion Guinan

Bergin is probably the only one still hurling for offaly and I'd say you could count on one hand who played senior for their club last year.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:Thats correct. Offaly lost to Killkenny by 5 or 6 points and Killkenny went on to win the all ireland.

Most of the lads would be 29-31 years old now.

I might be wrong but I dont think Dooley was on the panel but Bergin was definetely on that team.

I forget starting 15 but the panel looked something like : Dylan Hayden, Paul Cleery, Geroid O Grady, Eamonn Lee, Neil Rodgers, Thomas Coughlan, Kevin Grogan, Kevin Saddler, Harry Ryan, Robert Ryland James Keane, Stephen Delaney, Derek Molloy, Daniel Hoctor, Declan Cordial, Eddie Beavens, Colin O Meara

Killkenny had John Dalton, Cha Fitz, Richie Power (Captain), John Tennyson, Donnacha Cody, Michael Fennelly and the most dangerous minor in the country at the time Eion Guinan

Bergin is probably the only one still hurling for offaly and I'd say you could count on one hand who played senior for their club last year.
Thanks im surprised , thought Dylan Hayden Paul Cleary and K Grogan would have been overage in 03 ,is S Dooley not younger than those guys .What about D Kenny
On reflection now it was a good result given the quality of kilkenny.
Danny Owens was manager and was seem by most offaly people as a failure.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

No they are all the same age group. Offaly would be in a better place if the likes of Hayden, Grogan, Molloy where still hurling and giving their experience to the panel of lads coming through.

Dooley never really made it with Offaly until Joe was Senior manager in 2007. 2009 was the year Dooley really stepped up for both Club and County.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Dooley would have been a sub when he came out of minor he really started turning into a top forward.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

greenairfield wrote:Dooley would have been a sub when he came out of minor he really started turning into a top forward.
Dooley was minor in 2003 and 2004. He only made his senior debut in 2007

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:
greenairfield wrote:Dooley would have been a sub when he came out of minor he really started turning into a top forward.
Kaiserchief are Del Morkam D Horan B Leonard D Currams M Verney C Mahon J Gorman S ryan M Verney not the same age as P Cleary ??

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

sam88885a wrote:
kaiserchief wrote:
Kaiserchief are Del Morkam D Horan B Leonard D Currams G Kelly M Verney C Mahon J Gorman S ryan M Verney not the same age as P Cleary ??
If Joe Bergin and P Cleary are 29 are those guys above all 30 or only 28???

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Correct all the above players are 30 or below 30 years of age!
Currams, Horan gorman, Leonard and Morkan would be all 28.
Cleary Verney and Ryan have just turned 30 and and the rest would be 29.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

Currams and Morkan would be 26. Horam Leonard Gorman Mahon would be 27

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

No they would not I just told you what age they are.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Greenfield, del morkham is the same age as daniel currams, Stephen Wynne, killian Leonard, mark Egan etc. Them other lads that you named are a different age group - I had that group with del for 3 years at dev squad level.
D horan is older than morkham.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

PS they could be same age at a given time but are definitly born in different years and this would obviously mean that lads had year more at minor.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

D Currams, D Horan J gorman, B Leonard C Mahon G Kelly S Wynne D Molloy C Egan and D Morkan would be all around 28.
P Cleary J Bergin S Dooley M Verney S Ryan and K Grogan are 29 or just turned 30 .
Those guys should have been the back bone of offaly for the last 5 years but it didnt happen ,just hope that last years u21 are still involved when they come to 26
.We are a small county that cannot afford to watch guys walk away as the are reaching their peak .