Hurling Plan, Whats the story?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Hurling Plan, Whats the story?

Post by Bord na Mona man »

private joker wrote:Depressing stuff. Offaly GAA are well and truly screwed.
There doesn't seem to be a tipping point.
Nope, no tipping point.
Offaly GAA didn't hit an iceberg, it was the thousands of small leaks that didn't get plugged which sank us.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

State of Offaly hurling ‘absolutely deplorable’

Wednesday, July 19, 2017Jackie Cahill
The former chairman of the now defunct Offaly hurling review/implementation group has described the state of the game in the county as “absolutely deplorable.”

Liam Hogan and his fellow committee members resigned en masse last week – and former Ballyboden St Enda’s manager Hogan has laid the blame firmly at the door of county board chiefs.

Offaly are seeking new senior football and hurling team managers – after Pat Flanagan was axed and Kevin Ryan stepped down – and Hogan has revealed that ‘total frustration’ led to mass resignations from the committee he was heading up.

Hogan said: “We resigned en bloc because we were absolutely totally frustrated with the lack of support and progress from the Offaly county board.”

The main source of frustration lies with the apparent lack of movement to implement key suggestions from the review group, which contains other high-calibre members.

Former county players Brian Carroll, David Kenny and Michael Verney were also involved, along with former Faithful County camogie stars Marion Crean and Mary Wyer.

Ger Scales, whose father Paddy is chairman of St Rynagh’s, was another key member, as well as strength and conditioning expert and former coach Cillian Farrell.

Hogan added: “We had a clear-the-air meeting on May 9 with them (county board), they promised they would keep the lines of communication open and keep us informed about anything that would directly affect the implementation committee.

“From May 9 until the day we resigned, we never received an email, fax, text or phone call from anybody at county board level, in eight weeks.

“They (county board) said the coaching and games committee is going to implement the plan – I’ve serious doubts about that.”

And when asked to sum the current state of Offaly hurling, he responded: “Absolutely deplorable – from the very top all the way to the bottom.”

Kevin Ryan stepped away from the senior hurling team manager’s post on Monday evening, and Hogan said: “I don’t know enough about the situation there, to be honest.

“I’m removed from that in that I was primarily focused on underage development in Offaly.

“My first cousin is Johnny Dooley, a selector with him (Ryan), and I’d be very friendly with Gary Cahill, the other coach/selector.

“They’re two great men who put their hands up to help Offaly hurling, when everybody else was running in the opposite direction. They deserve praise for getting involved, when nobody else wanted it.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 55159.html

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Fair play to G Cahill and J Dooley for stepping forward ,both are very respected by the players ,both were shocked how poor K Ryan was as a manager and disagreed with his negative game plan from what i hear .

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Congratulations to the Offaly Combined Colleges Senior Football team on qualification for the Leinster Colleges Quarter-Final. I trust Offaly Combined Colleges Senior Hurling team are also taking part in the Leinster Senior A Colleges championships as per the Hurling Plan. Have they played any games yet in this year's championship??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sharp Eye wrote:Congratulations to the Offaly Combined Colleges Senior Football team on qualification for the Leinster Colleges Quarter-Final. I trust Offaly Combined Colleges Senior Hurling team are also taking part in the Leinster Senior A Colleges championships as per the Hurling Plan. Have they played any games yet in this year's championship??
Nope - were due to play at the end of November, but had to give a walkover as they couldn't get their team together - they were drawing heavily on players from Ballinamere and Belmont, and the late running of the U21 championships (both codes) meant they just couldn't get it together on time.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Lone Shark wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:Congratulations to the Offaly Combined Colleges Senior Football team on qualification for the Leinster Colleges Quarter-Final. I trust Offaly Combined Colleges Senior Hurling team are also taking part in the Leinster Senior A Colleges championships as per the Hurling Plan. Have they played any games yet in this year's championship??
Nope - were due to play at the end of November, but had to give a walkover as they couldn't get their team together - they were drawing heavily on players from Ballinamere and Belmont, and the late running of the U21 championships (both codes) meant they just couldn't get it together on time.
That is most disappointing. With Minor now gone to Under 17, every effort should be made in 2018 to have a Combined Colleges Hurling Team, in order to ensure that players aged 18/19 in Offaly get the opportunity to play at a high level.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sharp Eye wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
That is most disappointing. With Minor now gone to Under 17, every effort should be made in 2018 to have a Combined Colleges Hurling Team, in order to ensure that players aged 18/19 in Offaly get the opportunity to play at a high level.
In truth, I'm a little torn on this. I appreciate that an elite side can be good for the guys involved in it, however I'm not too sure if it wouldn't be better to allow and encourage teams like Coláiste Choilm, Banagher College, Naomh Cormac, etc to develop in their own right. By putting together an amalgamated team like this, you're really hampering those schools' chances of being competitive on their own, and it would be far better to have a real football and hurling culture in all our schools, with all club players encouraged to play to the best of their ability, rather than sucking the life out of them by stripping away the best lads to go for an amalgamated side. I know that there are mixed views on it and as I'm not a teacher, I'm not at the front line here, so I would defer to others who might be in a better position to judge.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Lone Shark wrote:
That is most disappointing. With Minor now gone to Under 17, every effort should be made in 2018 to have a Combined Colleges Hurling Team, in order to ensure that players aged 18/19 in Offaly get the opportunity to play at a high level.[/quote]

In truth, I'm a little torn on this. I appreciate that an elite side can be good for the guys involved in it, however I'm not too sure if it wouldn't be better to allow and encourage teams like Coláiste Choilm, Banagher College, Naomh Cormac, etc to develop in their own right. By putting together an amalgamated team like this, you're really hampering those schools' chances of being competitive on their own, and it would be far better to have a real football and hurling culture in all our schools, with all club players encouraged to play to the best of their ability, rather than sucking the life out of them by stripping away the best lads to go for an amalgamated side. I know that there are mixed views on it and as I'm not a teacher, I'm not at the front line here, so I would defer to others who might be in a better position to judge.[/quote]

I understand your opinion, but we must make every effort to develop our "elite" 18/19 yr old players, in order to ensure they are ready for Co senior panel at 20/21.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

more coaching time from the CB needs to be given into the secondary schools to get players out to train either after school or during lunchtimes and get teams together

any teachers willing to be involved need to be looked after - gear, equipment, and maybe a voucher for a dinner or something. They are under enough pressure as it is.
if you don't have the teachers on board, you are at nothing.
only the best...