Connacht set the example

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Connacht set the example

Post by Truth as i see it »

First and foremost I'm an Offaly man and always will be regardless of our standing in the GAA world but living in Connacht these past number of years i have come to admire and respect what Connacht have managed to achieve in the world of professional rugby

Remember this was a team that was nearly killed off by the IRFU and today they have won the PRO 12 rugby cup for the first time in the provinces history

They have dragged themselves up by their own boots and made themselves what they are today, and they did this primally through their own academy, they got the foundations right, now i know its a different code but regardless of the sport if you get the foundations right any team in any sport can become a success, there are lessons here to be learned by the people in charge, i just hope they have the intelligence to heed them

kingscounty
All Star

Re: Connacht set the example

Post by kingscounty »

Great to see them win something but I wouldn't get to excited about the win , it is a bit part competition with no French or English teams in it . The test will be next year in the Champions Cup , Racing, Stad, Toulon , Toulouse, beat these teams then they can eat at the top table . They will need to bring in some more players also for the new season , but as you said great for Connacht and Irish Rugby .

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

There won't be a cow milked in Strokestown for a week !

I don't think Leo Cullen has what it takes to cut it as a coach at a high level.Comes across as very bland and uninspiring.

Congrats to Connacht. Biggest job for them now is to bring in quality players to replace those who are leaving.

Connacht and Leicester have shown this year the importance of bonding together as a unit and how the much maligned concepts of heart and team spirit are so important. Food for thought for all of us who are interested in sport.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Strokestown me arse!

Not one rugby club in Co Roscommon

Lots of rejects from Leinster, NZ and Munster,
only the best...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Truth as I see it...great post...

I remember living in galway 10 years ago and the team /club were nearly close to finishing and closing the doors to the public.

One question though...did they not have alot of money behind them by investors ?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

No very little money by comparison with other provinces. Brought in and developed young talent - some from other provinces - many through their own youth system which is noted to have some of the best coaches in the country - examples are Henshaw and Denis Buckley who are 2 class acts from Connaught developed by Connaught. Add in 2 or 3 unknown at the time but excellent foreigners and that is it. The main thing they did is developed a system of play and a work ethic that put the group first. The results are there to see! Serious achievement.
jimbob