Offaly County Board Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly County Board Thread

Post by greenairfield »

By the way outsider this thread is the County board....so yes we will concentrate on them you idiot.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

Outsider the thread is about the county board and I missing something here...I am still hurling when I finish ill get involved

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

Time to clean out the dirt

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Just a few points -
Would the County Board delegates from many clubs not be the Chairman and Secretary of those clubs? Or is that just the case with smaller, rural clubs?
That would happen, but not so much that you'd say it's common. Of course it's more likely to be the case with smaller clubs too, since the bigger club, the more the workload on the chairman and secretary at home, before they have to worry about county matters. As is the case in so many areas, the more people that are available to share and take on the workload, the better.
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Not winning silverware at underage grades wouldn’t be a problem. The real problem in my opinion is the perennial sending out of underage teams who are so underprepared to face other counties that their situation is hopeless. Therefore they get just the one championship game and do not get the benefit of a sustained championship run. The members of an underage team who will progress to Senior are the leaders of that underage team – how far an underage team will progress depends on the contribution you can get from the weakest members of a team. There’s nothing that can be done about the demographics, and really all you can do is put on a few from Clareen or Kilcormac that’ll stand in and pull.
That's fair - I was effectively going for the same thing, and in the case of minor football over the last 10-15 years, there hasn't been a trophy won but in the main, the teams that were sent out were competitive. This year's group is typical of that - struggled against Dublin, but worked hard and picked up wins in games where they were capable of winning. However if this was being done across the board, my suspicion is that we'd have picked up a championship here and there.
Plain of the Herbs wrote: I’ve never been to a County Board meeting but from reading the media reports of those meetings for decades now, one of the features were the interjections from the floor of Mick Sheridan. It seemed to me that Mick Sheridan played the role as unofficial ‘leader of the opposition’ querying everything and holding the officers to account. It seems that doesn’t happen any more, with the exception of Brian Gavin’s query at the recent meeting where he appeared to be put down with a – if you had been listening, you would have heard it when I said it the first time – comment from the chair. Is Mick Sheridan missed? Does anyone 'lead the opposition' (however unofficially) now?
Call it a Clara thing or whatever, but Gavin is certainly the closest thing to that now. Previously Mick Sheridan would absolutely have been that person, while Danny Bergin of Killavilla would have been another, and there were a handful of others that you could depend upon to pick up on an issue. Nowadays you'll always get comments from clubs on matters that directly affect them while a handful of delegates have their own pet peeves, but that was always the case and will never change. But yes, if it's all about the greater good, a lot of them tune out. Certainly there wouldn't be too many who would look to get something on the agenda in advance of a meeting, which is the only way that a matter will be discussed rather than kicked down the road.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

greenairfield wrote:By the way outsider this thread is the County board....so yes we will concentrate on them you idiot.

Thanks - I have been called worse :D

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Keiap wrote:Outsider the thread is about the county board and I missing something here...I am still hurling when I finish ill get involved
That doesn't stop you from bringing any points or grievances with the county board to your Club CB Rep and let them air it at the monthly meeting?

And thats not a dig at you either.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Just a thought! Offaly senior hurlers have won 3 championship games this year for first time since possibly 2000? Senior footballers won first Leinster championship game for first time since 2007 and decent chance of progressing through next round. Minor hurlers reached semi final for first time in number of years. U21 hurlers have great chance of making Leinster final and minor footballers have won 3 championship games this year and also have great chance of making Leinster final.

Is there some credit due to county board?

Discuss
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

To be honest I don't think so.
Minor hurlers well bet. Had an easy run in the minor avoiding the three best teams. Wexford till the semi , Dublin and KK.
Under 21 the same. Kildare and carlow to get to a leinster final potentially.
Senior hurlers. Wins vs kerry, and very poor laois and carlow. Well bet by westmeath who in turn were hammered by Galway.
Senior footballers win again against teams with no real prospects.
Definitely though improvements on other year I suppose but against counties who have their own issues. Laois f or example who seem to sabotage themselves constantly.

Ondafence
Junior C

Post by Ondafence »

Just had a look at this in passin and registered to say also under improvements, the u17 hurlers are in last 4 of div 1 of Celtic challenge. A competition with 38 teams and 5 divisions. One chap involved from my club and very happy with set up, so well done to all involved. Well done to all our teams in last few weeks. Up Offaly.

Ondafence
Junior C

Post by Ondafence »

On topic of improvements well done to u17 hurlers who are in last 4 of div 1 in Celtic challenge, a competition with 38 teams and 5 divisions. and well done to all offaly teams in last few weeks.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

by jimbob17 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Just a thought! Offaly senior hurlers have won 3 championship games this year for first time since possibly 2000? Senior footballers won first Leinster championship game for first time since 2007 and decent chance of progressing through next round. Minor hurlers reached semi final for first time in number of years. U21 hurlers have great chance of making Leinster final and minor footballers have won 3 championship games this year and also have great chance of making Leinster final.

Is there some credit due to county board?

Discuss

The teams can only play and win against who they get drawn against and they have done that for the most part.taking away results the senior hurler have improved week by week at the right time.the county board are not training the teams the management get the credit in my opinion they take all the flak..
Results should not gloss over all the bad work done at underage in previous years and I'm not talking about anyone who trained any of our teams..eye off the ball in some clubs as well but it's being fixed by overhauling bad eggs in committees same has to be done at the top

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I have lived away from the county for almost 50 years and have nothing to do with CB or any club but am delighted with the recent (relative) suscess,,,,,,

Of course credit is due to the players , managements and to the CB Officers,,,,,, Now they might not do everything right, or the way some want but its not easy,,, I did 11 years on another CB and know how difficult it is to fit the day job, the family & county committments,,, There is never enough time to do all you want so you do what has to be done, now ,,,, and hope to do the rest,, later,, I admire those who take on those onerous and often thankless tasks and will always support them until someone better offers to step up,,,,,,,,,

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

I believe that a revised version of the Hurling development report is finally being laid before the county board next week. Can anyone confirm this?

I accept many peoples views about it being a thankless position being on the board or being a delegate for that matter.........but even allowing for that.......It's still hard to credit what has gone on in relation to this. Hopefully some answers will be forthcoming.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

It appears that the galway Co board offered to play offaly in ocp this weekend on the proviso this would start a home and away arrangement, and the Co board turned it down.
If true this is scandalous. We have been saddled for years now with a stadium we can't really afford, and an opportunity comes along to have a marquee fixture like this played at home and we turn it down. I know it would mean our next game with them would be Salthill, but every second time we would play them it would be at home in the future, but travelling to Galway would be a more straightforward trip than wexford park for example.
I may have even broken my boycott of watching offaly in Tullamore for this game! :D
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The reason Galway want to play in Tellamore is because they're terrified of playing in Birr!