Offaly County Board Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly County Board Thread

Post by greenairfield »

We some how have lads praising the CB....lone shark as usual sticking up for his fellow club man.

If Boland and his buddies don't leave soon noting will ever change for Offaly.

Blue Yoda
Junior C

Post by Blue Yoda »

I've been a long time observer on this forum, but first time poster.

I think the sentiment is good for his thread for which the County Board are been critiqued on both the pros and cons of what is needed to return Offaly to be a success in both codes.

There are some interesting opinions but it is important not to personalnise or be abusive towards people. The county board delegates are the ones who can drive this. Is there a common framework and pathway that majority of Offaly supporters agree?

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

Blue Yoda ... the framework is there in the form of the Hurling Development Pathway Report.

The methodology in terms of how to go about it was/is:
1. Concerned Offaly Gaels sitting down into a room.
2. Deciding to prepare a development plan and putting a committee together.
3. Getting input from outside the county from those with knowledge in the area when preparing this development plan.
4. Present the draft plan.
5. Finalise the plan.
6. Agree an implementation methodology for the plan.

Getting from Point 1 to point 4 has taken 2 years (when it could have taken less than 1)

We are now stalled on point 5 with little obvious appetite to drive on to point 6.
Efan :)

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote:We some how have lads praising the CB....lone shark as usual sticking up for his fellow club man.

The usual nonsense. Changing the Co. Board executive is not the answer. Offaly's problems are well aired, lack of attention to underage structures resulted in a decline in our fortunes. I think things are slowly coming around, a good week for Offaly last weekend. If you want change ask your club to nominate you for a position on the County Board. Remember the delegates have an input at board level too..
P

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

SearingDrive wrote:
greenairfield wrote:We some how have lads praising the CB....lone shark as usual sticking up for his fellow club man.

The usual nonsense. Changing the Co. Board executive is not the answer. Offaly's problems are well aired, lack of attention to underage structures resulted in a decline in our fortunes. I think things are slowly coming around, a good week for Offaly last weekend. If you want change ask your club to nominate you for a position on the County Board. Remember the delegates have an input at board level too..
P
Hit the nail on the head mate :!:

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

A good week covering the cracks is all...open your eyes.

I wouldn't have the time I am busy enough.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

greenairfield wrote:A good week covering the cracks is all...open your eyes.

Well if you stopped complaining on here about everything you'd have plenty of time!!

Yourself and townman should go for positions in the County Board - it would be good to see the "brilliant" changes then.

What is with Offaly people and their negativity. The last 2 weeks have been brilliant;

- Senior footballers first Leinster Win
- Minor Footballers reaching Semi Final
- Senior hurlers reaching quarter final against winnable opposition
- U21 hurlers reaching Semi Final

Why cant people be more positive? We have the potential to reach a Leinster Final in 4 Premier competitions!

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Come on outsider don't let the county board take credit for these wins.

I say Fair play to the four teams and management for the hard work more power to them hopefully we can get to a couple of finals which would be great.

But the county board they are still a joke and we all know that won't be forgotten what they have done too easy.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

I know they are a joke, but the only way to stop the rot is by (as said here by another poster), go to your county board club rep and tell him/her you would like to be a county board delegate and then put your views across. Even better, get them to air out any grievances you have for time being. Only one delegate (brian gavin) questioned the CB about why the report was left on the shelf so long and fair play to local media for ousting the CB - a thankless job at times.

The only way the rot in the county board will stop is if people stop hiding behind computer screens and twitter handles and go to these meetings. Be pro-active not re-active!

If the same county board positions are filled by the same people in 2017 then we can only blame ourselves.

Up the Faithful!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

greenairfield wrote:A good week covering the cracks is all...open your eyes.
greenairfield....will you admit something for us all here please? Will you admit that deep down you'd prefer if all our county teams had lost their games over the last 2 weeks. That would have given you and a few others more ammunition to attack the county board with. Admit its the truth.

There will be no All Irelands won this year but our county is flying high at the moment and if you can't enjoy it for what it is then God help you.
Yourself, the journalists and the ex players that are on the radio every time we loose a match will have your chance to put things right at the convention at the end of the year until then put a sock in it please.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

greenairfield....will you admit something for us all here please? Will you admit that deep down you'd prefer if all our county teams had lost their games over the last 2 weeks. That would have given you and a few others more ammunition to attack the county board with. Admit its the truth. 

There will be no All Irelands won this year but our county is flying high at the moment and if you can't enjoy it for what it is then God help you. 
Yourself, the journalists and the ex players that are on the radio every time we loose a match will have your chance to put things right at the convention at the end of the year until then put a sock in it please.

bracknaghboy 645 Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

I think he is entitled to his opinion,as are you..recent results have been good but to say we're flying high that's not true at all.if you think the current result have anything to do with the county board your delusional.the county board us a joke and whatever results come out of this year's championship won't change that..we're going to have the faithful fields and not even a gym in it for our players joke of a set up

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Can we all forget about attacking the CB for now and concentrate on supporting Offaly!

We know what they have done, thats not gonna change now. If you want change soo badly, go to your clubs AGM, ask to be a county board rep and then vote out the current CB.

No point commenting on a forum about them been a joke.

Our county are going good at the moment but yet people are been clowns and focusing on the negatives.

Semm to be from the one club to :roll:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just a few points -

Would the County Board delegates from many clubs not be the Chairman and Secretary of those clubs? Or is that just the case with smaller, rural clubs?
Lone Shark wrote:On the main topic of this thread, which is the county board as a whole, I think there is the chance to be quite informative here. Lots of good GAA people in Offaly simply aren't aware of the different things that are going on at county level, in part because of the dysfunctional way in which county board delegates are chosen at club AGMs. In far too many cases, the role is seen as too trivial to be given to a good person - it would be seen as a "waste" to put a go-getter like Joe or Josephine Bloggs in as county board delegate when there are roles like Treasurer, Secretary, PRO, and various finance committee positions all to be filled. In many, many cases that I've seen, the county board delegate in a club is given to a local diehard who lives and breathes the sport but has completely lost touch with the modern game, and doesn't understand the responsibility that' attached to the position. Huge numbers of them wouldn't know how to use email, much less how to circulate information from county board meetings back to their own committee via that method, and the monthly meeting in O'Connor Park is perceived as a nice social event - a chance to catch up with similar folk from other clubs on a Tuesday evening and share war stories.

Not winning silverware at underage grades wouldn’t be a problem. The real problem in my opinion is the perennial sending out of underage teams who are so underprepared to face other counties that their situation is hopeless. Therefore they get just the one championship game and do not get the benefit of a sustained championship run. The members of an underage team who will progress to Senior are the leaders of that underage team – how far an underage team will progress depends on the contribution you can get from the weakest members of a team. There’s nothing that can be done about the demographics, and really all you can do is put on a few from Clareen or Kilcormac that’ll stand in and pull.
Lone Shark wrote:On the flip side the board has to stand indicted for the ongoing drought in terms of Leinster success in either football or hurling at minor/U21/senior. We've now had 15 barren years, and if you include this year's minor hurling and U21 football, that's 92 tilts in a row at Leinster championships without success. You can of course argue that some blame belongs with previous administrations and you'd be right, but some share of blame has to fall to the current management committee - even if the proportion is very much up for debate.

I’ve never been to a County Board meeting but from reading the media reports of those meetings for decades now, one of the features were the interjections from the floor of Mick Sheridan. It seemed to me that Mick Sheridan played the role as unofficial ‘leader of the opposition’ querying everything and holding the officers to account. It seems that doesn’t happen any more, with the exception of Brian Gavin’s query at the recent meeting where he appeared to be put down with a – if you had been listening, you would have heard it when I said it the first time – comment from the chair. Is Mick Sheridan missed? Does anyone 'lead the opposition' (however unofficially) now?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Bracknagh boy you obviously didn't read my comments very well.

Delighted with the results but they had noting to do with the CB.

I am slating the CB and fully behind the players on all teams, yes the football also I was at both the minor and senior games and I am a Birr man... you can try make out im trying to say different if that makes you feel better.

We have lads on this forum and whether they are related to County Board delegates or what they seem very sensitive any time anything is said about them...

Open your eyes and the county would be in a better place.