Offaly v Carlow, Leinster round robin Saturday 7th May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
suckindiesel
Senior

Re: Offaly v Carlow, Leinster round robin Saturday 7th May

Post by suckindiesel »

I think the task at hand is easily explained.
Kerry will beat Westmeath, the home advantage the decider.

so, by my estimation, to stand any chance of taking a top two spot, offaly must win by a minimum of 12 points, the bigger the size of victory, the less the demand against Kerry in the final round. the afternoon forecast of rain will not help the scoring.
my predictions, Kerry 1-20 Wmeath 1-15. Offaly 3-16 Carlow 0-13.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

Sam is change your name to broken record..

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Team named:
1 James Dempsey
2 Paddy Rigney
3 Dermot Shortt
4 Chris McDonald
5 Dermot Mooney
6 Colin Egan
7 David King
8 Pat Camon
9 Sean Cleary
10 Shane Kinsella
11 Joe Bergin
12 Cillian Kiely
13 Paddy Murphy
14 Shane Dooley
15 Kevin Connolly
Subs
16 Oisin Mahon
17 James Mulrooney
18 Dan Kelleher
19 Ben Conneely
20 Jason Sampson
21 Gerry Spollen
22 Padraig Guinan
23 Niall Wynne
24 Sean Gardiner
25 Liam Langton
26 Adrian Cleary

http://offaly.gaa.ie/2016/05/06/lshc-offaly-v-carlow/
square peg round hole again, Colin Egan is not a centre back he got the run around last year in portlaoise again laois

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

He is experienced enough to play there at least..you pick someone different out of the 26 you put up

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

private joker wrote:I hope your comment on the two lads pulling up in their club training is true as I find that very hard to believe. I've been to some of the offaly training and the only way you would remain that unfit is if you didn't take part in the sessions.
Basically I think your making that up or you are not being fully honest as to why they pulled up.
Ask lads from either clubs yourself , my view they were tired ,it was more lack of freshness rather that fitness and maybe guys in both clubs want to show them up .more mental fatigue than anything .
Both clubs are going serious physical training this year , which can only be good for club hurling down the road .
as for offaly I think e kelly has 3 really bad days in a row as manager but todays team suggest to me that he has learnt and picked a decent team today . They best team he has picked so far this year in my opinion.
we have heard all week how good a manager he is , its time to prove it, no point in hinding behind the players and blaming the guys he picked to play a certain style of hurling when it go wrong .
The players need to stop hiding too get out first to the ball today , last sunday certain player hid behind their men , that has to stop .
today i expect to see a different offaly that will win with a bit to spare .
best of luck

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Keiap wrote:He is experienced enough to play there at least..you pick someone different out of the 26 you put up
Agreed. Colin Egan is the best option to play centre back at the moment.

It's easy for guys to say this lad and that lad aren't good enough to play in a certain position, but when you ask them who they would put in there, they don't have an answer.

Actually some posters here dream Offly backlne for today would be:

2) Con Mahon
3) Ger Healion
4) Alan McConville
5) Kevin Grogan
6) Peter Healion
7) Brian Leonard

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

best of luck to offaly today. from biffos all around ireland(mary dunnes feed on twitter today will be busy!!).theres a serious amount of good will and support always for offaly and i feel today will be the turning point.a good strong win,then beat kerry and laois and on to galway in a leinster semi in croker..we were always able to give them a good game...bring it on!!

shamlads
Junior A

Post by shamlads »

What another load of crap that was.Took 2 sending off's for them to crawl over the line.even at that they limped over.What an absolute disaster they really are.Really need to ask themselve's some serious question's.Prob go around now clapping themselve's on the back after today.What a joke.I wonder do they realise how pathetic they look as a so called team.Not a backbone between them.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

I suppose when your down on your luck a win is a win is a win. After last Sunday I wondered if we would ever win a game again !

RTE.ie states that "Carlow lost two men to straight red cards in the final five minutes, the influential Diarmuid Byrne followed to the line by substitute Hugh Paddy O’Byrne.
They also had goalkeeper Dempsey red-carded by referee James McGrath after the final whistle."

I am hoping that it was the Carlow keeper that got a red card and not James Dempsey, can anyone confirm or is it just typical poor reporting by the RTE sports department ?

So Eamon Kelly's cunning plan to finish second in the group and avoid Galway will come to pass if we beat Kerry ! Time will tell I suppose.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

shamlads wrote:What another load of crap that was.Took 2 sending off's for them to crawl over the line.even at that they limped over.What an absolute disaster they really are.Really need to ask themselve's some serious question's.Prob go around now clapping themselve's on the back after today.What a joke.I wonder do they realise how pathetic they look as a so called team.Not a backbone between them.
Offaly just about got over the line today, but they pulled off a vital win. It was hard going at times, very hard. With the result in Tralee today, a win over Kerry in two weeks, would put Offaly in to the next round. It is in the player's hands now.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Am gutted! (Carlow man here!)
We could have got one over ye. Wides at start of 2nd half were a huge factor for us. Sendings off? First was absolutely stupid what he did. No problem with that one. And we on attack! 2nd I didn't see genuinely. A pull or a dig? It was our goalie that got the card alright - mouthing to ref.
From our perspective, it was possibly as good as we deserved in ways. Lads not training, lads not coming in, lads hurt etc. We d 19 togged. Ye? I was impressed with joe bergin. He took the battle to us and always looked for the ball. Fairplay to him. Dooley was accurate from frees but I thought dewey did well enough on him generally. Pat camon and david king hit a lot of ball at times too. I thought we should have made more hay out of your full back line. I thought/think it is there to be exploited.
It ll be tight v kerry. They didnt hurl well v us but have good forwards. I wish ye well.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Side note! James mcgrath down as replacement ref. Involved in westmeath hurling. Good ref generally, thought he not as good for both sides today. But he reffing a game which could have influence on his own counties progress. Sign of the times of round robin hurling?? Surely not easy for him either. Hardly a wise choice??

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

we got the win just about and thank god it wasnt J Demsey that got a red card at the end . heading to play kerry with o mahon in goals would not make our task easier .
we are one win away from where we all expected to be .
e kelly still has to get these guys to preform ,hopefully it will be from here on . c egan and s ryan were big losses today and i hear c kiely hurled with an injury too. after last week we take anytime of a win.

Attaboy
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Post by Attaboy »

Fair dues to those lads today. As hard as it was for us as supporters to drag ourselves up for this game, it must have been at least 100 times harder for them. There are a lot of people on and off this site who need to have a think about what being a "supporter" really means. And no, it doesn't mean digging our heads into the sand and pretending everything's grand, when it's far from it, but dear god, there's a hell of a difference between constructive criticism and flat out abuse.

On a different note, I'm slightly bemused by the assertion that "hurling has become more a team game now in recent years, as opposed to a game for individuals where yo 'bate' the ball as long and as far as you can and it was up to the next fella to win his own ball". It's been quite a few years since my underage days, but this was always drummed into us, that where the corner back placed a ball was just as important as where the corner forward placed it. "Better slip the ball 10 yards to your own man, than drive it 100 to one of theirs" - hardly modern thinking? Sure, the running possession game changed things somewhat, but I don't think any decent hurler ever thought that belting it up the field and hoping for the best was the way to go, so i'm a bit surprised by this comment is all.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

A Win a Win.
We take it.
2 weeks lads to a big game. Let hope we get more 950 at it.

To any idiot that makes call behind a private number. gobshit of the highest order.
“Common sense is not so common.”