Offaly v Carlow, Leinster round robin Saturday 7th May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Re: Offaly v Carlow, Leinster round robin Saturday 7th May

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Less uncorking of outrage ... hear the facts ..

http://www.midlands103.com/news-and-spo ... -chairman/

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

keyboardwarrior wrote:Less uncorking of outrage ... hear the facts ..

http://www.midlands103.com/news-and-spo ... -chairman/
The interview can be found on Will O'Callaghan's Twitter page also (someone else on here gets credit for finding it).

It is well worth a listen. Please be sure to be seated and not driving or operating any heavy machinery while listening.

There is cause for hope though if Liam Hogan can get others to catch his infectious optimism. It will take time and we are way behind the curve. Too bad so much time was lost on the uptake, but Liam gives the impression that there is a huge appetite and large numbers of people willing to give their time to the effort of getting things right.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Liam no doubt from listen to this is the man to get the ball rolling and lead hurling forward , he needs the full backing of the county board which he should have got 18 months ago. From my end good to hear him talk about Work needed to be done in Edenderry and Clara ,17 hurling coaches from Edenderry turned up at one of the sessions which shows there is interest and passion for hurling in the county this end its up to schools and Edenderry Gaa to get stuck in now . Great to hear also that Liam talks about a good under 16 Offaly squad which shows work is been done . We are lucky that he is still so positive after it been left for so long , may get it going now straight away , best of luck to Liam and all those who want the best for Offaly hurling , onwards and upwards .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The problem now lies in the fact that the county board will do nothing when the report is issued.
It's now a thorn in there side,
It will be paid lip services and nothing else.
The Club delegate's need to be on top of this from the get go, otherwise they may as well be used the report as toilet roll.

The club review is now on going. I hope the county board are smart enough to ask the member of the committee that walk away while they were dragging there heals to have a look at it and get there input.
The county board should also make copy of the draft report available to the 200 people that did the stage one course so they read it and approach there club with issue they feel need to highlighted good or bad. after all these are the people on the coal face of Offaly hurling.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

It is worrying that the club delegates didn't persist (or even start) with the questions that Offaly supporters want answers to. Hopefully when everyone meets in 3 weeks to push forward with the Pathway report more questions will be forthcoming from them. Keyboardwarrior also raised the issue of fund raising for the centre of excellence which the trail seems to have gone cold on.

I applauded the county board earlier in the year for fixing some of the smaller Offaly hurling games for SBP and also for the selection of the manager which was a marked improvement from what had happened in selection processes before with Brian Whelahan and the U21 football manager fiasco.

But they are being made to look like a pack of sheep at this point. Daithí Regan went on Off The Ball again last night and explained to the rest of the country what has being going on over the past week and gave his opinions again on the County Board. An open invitation is available to them to explain themselves on all these issues and yet they have taken a vow of silence to expand on their actions (or lack of) to supporters.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i see offaly beat kildare by 2 points the other night 2/18 to 2/16 in leinster hurling u17 competition...

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

biffinbanner wrote:i see offaly beat kildare by 2 points the other night 2/18 to 2/16 in leinster hurling u17 competition...
Not sure if you are joking.....or just misinformed. Offaly lost by 2 points the other night.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Pat nolan in the firing line from the Boland family.
Attachments
CiQM2LaXIAAqHce.jpg
CiQM2LaXIAAqHce.jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 22740 times
“Common sense is not so common.”

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Toxicity234 wrote:Pat nolan in the firing line from the Boland family.
Oh dear lord, even further embarrassment for the CB chairman.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hur ... pe-7945986

Presumably both Mr Bolands Senior and Junior are sore over the publication of this article written by Pat Nolan. It's incredible that these people take criticism personally instead of taking on board the legitimate questions raised by journalists both locally and nationally. That Facebook post is very revealing.

The Chairman should resign immediately for the good of Offaly hurling. It is amazing that he stated he was waiting for Offaly to be out of the hurling championship before 'launching' the report. Why was the report not put on the agenda of a County Board meeting months ago? An official launch could then have been made before Offaly began their current championship campaign (though I can't see what the problem would have been with it happening during a campaign anyway).

The failure or refusal of county board members (with the exception of Brian Gavin) to challenge officers on this issue is just ridiculous and a let-down to everyone who is genuinely interested in the revival of Offaly hurling.

The pointblank refusal of County Board representatives to talk to media, apparently - as Pat Nolan put it - 'as a result of stories published in the media' smacks of arrogance and small-mindedness.

We have been very badly served by our County Board on this matter.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I am really annoyed with the mess that has developed with the Report,,,,

I am also annoyed that out of apprx 50 ( or 60 ??) members of the CB only one had the guts to ask a question.

Now a lot of this goes back to an old problem,,,,,, Each club at its AGM elects a member of the County Board,,,,,,,,,,, Most of these take no responsibility, make sure not to make a fuss so as to look after the interests of their own club and to hell with the overall work & responsibilitythey took on when elected.....instead they are content to be so called club deleates, minding their own corner, making sure they dont upset anyone at or connected to the top table,,,,,,,,,

So a start for all us keyboard warriors would be to do our duty within our own club,,,,,,,,, ensure that the person nominated/elected as the Club's County Board Delegate has even a little interest in the running of the CB & is not just attending meeting to BRING HOME THE LIST OF FIXTURES ( AND SUSPENSIONS) for his/her own club.

With most clubs electing person of some CALIBRE we might just get a decent Executive from among tose delegates,,,,
Last edited by ryot on Sun May 15, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

First touch great post.

BOLAND has to go fast!!

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

I read rather than comment on topics on the board. I'm really surprised that given the seriousness of the topic (Hurling Development as opposed to Offaly Carlow :lol: ) and the level of national coverage its has received that there has been relative little discussion on this.

When you listed to Liam Hogan in that interview with Wil O'Callaghan you cant be but impressed with him. I am surprised that he has stuck with this as long as he has and is still so determined to follow through. Its totally unacceptable that there has been no explanation at board level as to why this has been ignored for so long and it has only been belatedly dealt with as a result of a media campaign. Its truly appalling.

If you are pissed off about it and you are a club member you can lift the phone to your county board delegate and let them know that this is total bollox. You can also bring it up with a your own club committee members and push it along. At this stage the county board strategy looks to be one of "keep the head down and wait until this blows over". Ignoring the local media is also totally bollox. Could you imagine that happening in any county with any designs on success. You honestly couldn't make it up.

If you haven't already contact your club committee, contact your county board delegate ...... there are some things we can do beyond the keyboard.

Also suggest positing this as a stand alone topic just as a reminder to us all in case it begins fading into the ether again ...
Efan :)

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I am surprised that he has stuck with this as long as he has and is still so determined to follow through. Its totally unacceptable that there has been no explanation at board level as to why this has been ignored for so long and it has only been belatedly dealt with as a result of a media campaign. Its truly appalling.
At this stage the county board strategy looks to be one of "keep the head down and wait until this blows over". Ignoring the local media is also totally bollox. Could you imagine that happening in any county with any designs on success. You honestly couldn't make it up.
I couldn't agree more with you. It is totally unacceptable that a report that could potentially improve things in the long term was buried. It is also totally unacceptable that no reason was given by the Chairman for not doing the job that he signed up to doing when he became chairman - leading the county. The example that he is setting by not answering legitimate questions asked of him is a terrible one.

Kevin Egan mentioned in his newspaper column that the time to hold administrators to account is in the lead up to convention in December and that people interested in hurling would be better off focusing on reviewing the document now. I strongly disagree that we should wait until December. The Chairman should show leadership and answer the question now. He accepted responsibility but didn't say why he did not do anything with the report. We need to know why. Also, the two themes are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to look for answers now while at the same time reviewing the document and moving forward with that. In fact, it will be much easier to move forward with it once the answers to the legitimate questions are known.

I am full of praise for Will O Callaghan in Midlands 103 for the work he is doing on this topic and the station's coverage of the games in general. I feel that Kevin should also use his influence to seek answers or at least ask legitimate questions. The County Board refusing to engage with the media/public should not be allowed.

One final thought - one of the questions that Will O C. had is about the state of the Faithful Fields project funding. Based on what he said, I am worried about the progress. I need the Chairman to answer his questions to put my mind at ease that the project is on schedule. If he remains quiet about that, then what does that mean? Based on the ' hurling report' experience it sounds like no news is bad news. Please Mr. Chairman and Board members, talk to us and put our minds at ease.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I would say the new centre for offaly gaa is definitely going you be held up. Looks like the grass sown didn't take and had to be done again.