Offaly v Westmeath, Mullingar, Sunday 1st May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
uibhfhaili
County player

Re: Offaly v Westmeath, Mullingar, Sunday 1st May

Post by uibhfhaili »

Kevin wrote:
uibhfhaili wrote:Careful now lads. Absolutely zero talking down Offaly GAA allowed on this site.

The County Board is absolutely magnificent in the promotion of hurling.
Offaly hurling is magnificent.
The promotion of hurling in the county is magnificent.
We'll be winning again in no time I tell you.
Loneshark is magnificent.
uibhfhaili.com is magnificent.
We're all magnificent.
uibhfhaili ABÚ
Thanks for this really insightful post.

Snippy sarcasm and negativity will definitely make all the difference.

At least you've identified a clear path forward.
Great constructive post yourself you old hypocrite.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

townman wrote:thought i seen it all last year again laois, this was worse Sid got a hard time over it last year well they are as bad if not worse this year. Eamon Kelly is a joke at one time during the first half when we were 7 points down he just look at Connor Glesson and gave a smile he never raise his voice once playing a fcuking sweeper again westmeath god saves us, players have to take some blame to i said friday if they are not up to it or tune in we will be beaten we were after 15 minutes, Kellys team was all wrong Dooley not fit, young Connelly threw into the fullforward line this kid didn't even start in the county final last year and feck all hurling this year and Kelly the clown played him today.

we can't catch a ball we can't pass the ball our striking is junior F, the clowns that are the county board picked this guy Eamon Kelly on what ?? there were a few walking around before the game wasn't to many showing their face at fulltime, offaly are on an all time low but fcuk me we are still a bit better than what we are playing today, why are our better hurlers not in with the county team we have to sort that first, the players today can't blame them most are just average club hurler's

we need someone who knows what they are at, look how mick Ryan had westmeath today fit up for it and could hurl, offaly under Kelly unfit no hurling work done and sorry no heart or pride. but i for one was not shocked at today i seen the kerry and kilkenny displays and i said here on friday that we would be beaten if we were not up to it and so it proved. Christy Ring cup is next for this squad can't see us getting second kerry and westmeath will take them spots.

and please taxi for Eamon Kelly tonight sure to god someone in offaly could do a better job :oops: :oops:
how many more times do we blame the manager?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

uibhfhaili wrote:Careful now lads. Absolutely zero talking down Offaly GAA allowed on this site.

We're all magnificent.
uibhfhaili ABÚ
I'd love to hear what your solutions are beyond attacking people....

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

we sat on the pitch in 98, its time we had a protest in O'Connor park to show what is been done to improve hurling and football in the county not just to show off the great stand we have, money has to be put into underage hurling, what money has Eamon Kelly put in his arse pocket for that shambles today its a joke.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

uibhfhaili wrote:
townman wrote:thought i seen it all last year again laois, this was worse Sid got a hard time over it last year well they are as bad if not worse this year. Eamon Kelly is a joke at one time during the first half when we were 7 points down he just look at Connor Glesson and gave a smile he never raise his voice once playing a fcuking sweeper again westmeath god saves us, players have to take some blame to i said friday if they are not up to it or tune in we will be beaten we were after 15 minutes, Kellys team was all wrong Dooley not fit, young Connelly threw into the fullforward line this kid didn't even start in the county final last year and feck all hurling this year and Kelly the clown played him today.

we can't catch a ball we can't pass the ball our striking is junior F, the clowns that are the county board picked this guy Eamon Kelly on what ?? there were a few walking around before the game wasn't to many showing their face at fulltime, offaly are on an all time low but fcuk me we are still a bit better than what we are playing today, why are our better hurlers not in with the county team we have to sort that first, the players today can't blame them most are just average club hurler's

we need someone who knows what they are at, look how mick Ryan had westmeath today fit up for it and could hurl, offaly under Kelly unfit no hurling work done and sorry no heart or pride. but i for one was not shocked at today i seen the kerry and kilkenny displays and i said here on friday that we would be beaten if we were not up to it and so it proved. Christy Ring cup is next for this squad can't see us getting second kerry and westmeath will take them spots.

and please taxi for Eamon Kelly tonight sure to god someone in offaly could do a better job :oops: :oops:
how many more times do we blame the manager?
agree players have to take a share of it, they lack heart and fire again today, but the manger job is to have them fit he hasn't its the mangers job to pick the best players he has in his squad his not doing that. it was a joke Killian Kiely can hurl on any line of the field yet he left the kid off, his also the reason Emmet Nolan is no longer there i am lead to belive, he stood for the whole first half watching Aonghus Clarke look like Tommy Walsh done nothing about it, he does not know his best 15 or where to pick them, he is playing players who are poor in every game but yet still picks them.

i know the talent is not in offaly to beating the kilkennys, tipps, clare, of this world but by fcuk we shouldn't be getting the sh.t hurl out of us by westmeath either.

offalyinterested
Junior C

Post by offalyinterested »

Without doubt the most disappointing Offaly game I have ever attended. Knew going down it would not be easy, but the result should not have been like that for a number of reasons. Firstly, management stating during the week that Offaly are in transition yet only one u21 started the game, excuses unnecessarily being made from the offset in my opinion. Secondly, Westmeath although we should have given them a lot of respect as opposition, are a team that we should have been targeting a comfortable win against, yet the first half while playing with a strong breeze we played a sweeper? Not only did we play a sweeper but we played someone who would be much better suited to being forward more there. We really shot ourselves in the foot with this as its common knowledge that the team playing against the wind gain a far greater advantage to the activation of sweepers. Team selection was also a massive let down but I dont want to dwell on blaming the sideline as thats all they were, sideline personnel and it wasn't their men beating them to ball after ball. Some players out there today didnt look interested, something I cant comprehend as i am aware of the huge sacrifices they have made since last November. They must feel let down by management, the county board and fellow county men who refuse to declare themselves available to represent Offaly but ultimately the majority of them today let themselves down with their attitude and lack of hunger. Westmeath showed much more desire and won the majority of breaking and 50/50 balls , while bullying Offaly in the process with their aggression and intensity. Some of the so called leaders refused to put in the required work rate of an intercounty forward and invited Westmeath to attack from the half back line and midfield as we led our back line to the slaughter with the outfield Westmeath players having time on the ball to pick out forwards in space. Westmeath players looked sharper and far better drilled and clued into their game plan and although its horrible to say it but like more natural hurlers as they attacked with purpose and precision. I dont like to be too negative as there is enough members on this site to put across viewpoints of that sort and I really hope the players can earn some sort of redemption and put in a good performance against both Carlow and Kerry and possibly turn their year around but some hard calls and drastic changes are going to have to be made.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Bord na Mona man wrote:

We're all magnificent.
uibhfhaili ABÚ
I'd love to hear what your solutions are beyond attacking people....
Solutions have been given by many over the yrs Ive been here but inevitably the y have been ganged up on by the "protect the CCB at all cost" brigade on here.
If you or anyone else genuinely cared about Offaly hurling you'd start by asking serious questions of the Offaly CB and the promotion of hurling.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I would question Kelly's preparation and attitude with the team . Today again before a game of vital importance he comes out and says more or less don't expect a lot from the team . The team might not be as good as years ago but by god if I was in charge I would have the team breaking the door down to go out and give everything, I wouldn't be going out defeated before we got on the bus . When I got home I looked at Clare v Waterford and if we wanted to see passion on the sideline just have a look at both these management set ups , wanted to rip into each other , we had no drive or ambition with Sid and this looks even worse !!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

uibhfhaili wrote: Solutions have been given by many over the yrs Ive been here but inevitably the y have been ganged up on by the "protect the CCB at all cost" brigade on here.
If you or anyone else genuinely cared about Offaly hurling you'd start by asking serious questions of the Offaly CB and the promotion of hurling.
I'll come back to this topic with a much more thought-out response when I get the chance to do so, but it's completely incorrect to say that people here are all about protecting the county board. Don't forget that at last year's county convention, the sum total of one position (PRO) was contested. No other incumbent had to face a vote, many of them would openly admit that they'd consider stepping down if there was an alternative there. There isn't, so it's a bit rich to complain about people doing a job when they are quite literally the only ones willing to do it.

There is no silver bullet here, and there are plenty of fingers to be pointed - including at some administrators, but also at many more as well. However this result was over 15 years in the making, it seems like ever since Laois came to Birr and relegated us in 2004, we're talking about "rock bottom" for Offaly - this is just the latest stop on one long journey into oblivion.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

If our best players were on the pitch today, we must take our defeat and accept this is our standard. If, however, our best players were not on the pitch, then we have a serious management issue. It is the sign of good management when the best players are on the pitch, playing at their best. It is very easy to discard players who might give management an extra "challenge", but this wins nothing. If this is the case in Offaly, the manager must eat humble pie and contact these "discarded" players this week and ensure they are all back on board for Saturday.

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Lone Shark wrote:
uibhfhaili wrote: Solutions have been given by many over the yrs Ive been here but inevitably the y have been ganged up on by the "protect the CCB at all cost" brigade on here.
I'll come back to this topic with a much more thought-out response when I get the chance to do so, but it's completely incorrect to say that people here are all about protecting the county board. Don't forget that at last year's county convention, the sum total of one position (PRO) was contested. No other incumbent had to face a vote, many of them would openly admit that they'd consider stepping down if there was an alternative there. There isn't, so it's a bit rich to complain about people doing a job when they are quite literally the only ones willing to do it.

There is no silver bullet here, and there are plenty of fingers to be pointed - including at some administrators, but also at many more as well. However this result was over 15 years in the making, it seems like ever since Laois came to Birr and relegated us in 2004, we're talking about "rock bottom" for Offaly - this is just the latest stop on one long journey into oblivion.
Its a bit odd to suggest CCB executives would step aside willingly? Why then did they put themselves in position of power in the 1st place? They have the power to make change. Who else has? Clubs, anonymous discussion boards?
In 15 yrs Offaly have gone from All Ireland contenders to chumps, "latest stop on one long journey into oblivion". Where's is the sense of leadership, drive, motivation coming from the CCB? It is their responsibility to drive this, to show leadership, to do everything within their power to turn Offaly hurling around. Are they really living up to their responsibility?
Be honest now.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

At the end of 2014 the Co Board chairman gave an undertaking that he would contact each player who left the hurling panel in 2014 and report on his discussions and their reasons to the Co Board. Was this done? and if so what were his findings?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Maybe the problem within offaly G.A A. Is a lack of follow through. The hurling review in the county arms, from 2 years ago , what came of that?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Terrible day but as i suggested here last night e kelly had got his excuse in early .
WHAT DOES A manager have to do to get sacked in offaly , lose to westmeath carlow and kerry ?
THe wexford game masked how bad offaly really were during the league and from what i heard wexford took us for granted .
WE have no leaders on that team . s dooley j bergin j demsey and c egan should grow balls and tell MR kelly to go now as Johnny p did with babs in 98.

Where to now ? will the county board call an EGM ? not a hope, kelly is there man appointed by L Sheedy who was helping out today by going to Thurles .
Money for the boys at offaly Expence .

Imagine if D owens had got the job and we were beaten by double scores by westmeath with 5 kk lads on the team .There would be a protest from mullingar to birr .

The truth is the team selection was stupid and the game plan was worse .
e kelly has a panell of yes men who would have to ask him if its ok to scratch themselves .

E KELLY has no hope of improving this team now ,he has failed to bring back e nolan d kilmartain c mahon d currams b leonard etc so maybe the senior players need to go to these guys and ask for help .
THIS is serious offalys hurling future is at stake here and E Kelly does not give a damm.
it appears that the county board dont care either .

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

private joker wrote:Maybe the problem within offaly G.A A. Is a lack of follow through. The hurling review in the county arms, from 2 years ago , what came of that?
So true. You would have thought at that time that there would have been a real push to put things right after that. That said, the underage seems to have improved a bit from where it was. The present minors are competitive and will be better again next year. However, 10 years of stagnation and absolute neglect of the structures is now coming home to roost. In 3-4 years time when the likes of Sean Ryan, McDonnell, Bergin and Dooley move on, we will really be short on leadership - not that we saw much of that today.

The main problem is that the majority of current players came through a very poor development system and didnt really improve a whole lot above their natural talent for that experience. When they hit senior and U21 level, the structures were still often poor with little in the way of a professional approach with regard to education on strength and conditioning / nutrition etc. It often came back to money and the willingness or lack of it to move with the times and recruit people with the skill-set to allow our players keep pace with the competition. Limerick, Wexford, Clare (counties we should be competitive with) all moved with the times, albeit with greater resources but we stood still and have paid the price now!

However, its never too late to put the right structures in place!
jimbob