Offaly v Westmeath, Mullingar, Sunday 1st May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly v Westmeath, Mullingar, Sunday 1st May

Post by greenairfield »

Lads I agree 100% with the lads on this protecting the county board..always have and they always will. Especially Kevin Egan who is probably pals with his club man who is the leading problem.

Step down and people will fill the gaps, im sure people don't want to go up against lads now in a voting war.

Offaly hurling is at its lowest ever with more lows to come, Daithi Regan was 100% right.

I don't blame Kelly or the players we have what we have and that's the end of it.... Could board out and rebuild for the future...and maybe in 10 years time we will a minor all ireland then we can talk about the future cos for now it looks quite scary.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

we still have enough hurlers on the panel to be much better than last sunday . we live in the present get what we can out of the current panel and put in systems for the future . we cant sit back for 10 years hoping

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

greenairfield wrote:Lads I agree 100% with the lads on this protecting the county board..always have and they always will. Especially Kevin Egan who is probably pals with his club man who is the leading problem.

Step down and people will fill the gaps, im sure people don't want to go up against lads now in a voting war.

Offaly hurling is at its lowest ever with more lows to come, Daithi Regan was 100% right.

I don't blame Kelly or the players we have what we have and that's the end of it.... Could board out and rebuild for the future...and maybe in 10 years time we will a minor all ireland then we can talk about the future cos for now it looks quite scary.
Wouldn't it be better for potential board members to state their intentions and start blooding ideas now or soon rather than waiting for committee members to 'step down''? Is there an organized push to get change at the board level or is this a roll of the dice?

I'd be doubtful that anyone who was interested enough to position themselves for a spot on the County Board would let the concept of a vote get in their way.

Look at it this way. There are issues all around - on the field, training center development, considerable financial issues - for board members to just walk away without any reasonable alternative, some planning and a transition plan would be shameful and very dangerous. They would in effect be bailing out during a time of crisis. To expect this to happen is unreasonable. There are processes in place for a reason.

On a side note - I agree with you that Regan was !00% right, but unfortunately for us his observation came very late in the game. Others had charted the course to where we are now long before Regan's comments, but they were either ignored or thought to be senseless alarmists.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

I seen a TV interview with Padraig Horan over 14 years ago stating Offaly hurling was on a downward spiral..that was after Winn 2 under age Leinster titles in recent times back then..he got slated for his statement..he was spot on

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Keiap wrote:I seen a TV interview with Padraig Horan over 14 years ago stating Offaly hurling was on a downward spiral..that was after Winn 2 under age Leinster titles in recent times back then..he got slated for his statement..he was spot on
Jaysus, aren't Horan and Daithi Regan great lads to forsee all this? Please tell us what they've done in the last 15years to prevent it happening besides knock everything and everyone. Great players and all that but that's where it ended I'm afraid. Plenty of ex greats in this county that have done little or nothing afterwards.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Offaly Co Board should insist on Nominating Two additional county senior selectors who would help to get our better players back on the county panel and help with team selections. Team selections, match-ups etc have been very poor all year.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

Well allstar,I know he has trained his Offaly at under age levels down through the years aswell as being involved in his own club.im not sure of what else,but for someone to come out and say something like that back then he was trying to get something done and was totally ignored by ignorant blind fools like yourself...I've a question for you what have you done???i know my answer zero

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Daithi Regan scathing here.
http://www.balls.ie/gaa/they-wont-tog-o ... ing/332394

Note that he backs Kelly's approach of picking the players willing to make the proper commitment. If only we could mute the jackdaws here who keep namechecking players who don't want in.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

allstar2010 wrote:
Keiap wrote:I seen a TV interview with Padraig Horan over 14 years ago stating Offaly hurling was on a downward spiral..that was after Winn 2 under age Leinster titles in recent times back then..he got slated for his statement..he was spot on
Jaysus, aren't Horan and Daithi Regan great lads to forsee all this? Please tell us what they've done in the last 15years to prevent it happening besides knock everything and everyone. Great players and all that but that's where it ended I'm afraid. Plenty of ex greats in this county that have done little or nothing afterwards.
Padraig Horan was the last Man to manage an Offaly team in the 3 main age groups to beat Kilkenny. (U21 2007). And he also was the last man to manage Offaly to a Leinster Final in the 3 main age groups. (2008). So in fact he has done something in the last 15 years to try and arrest the slide and going simply on results he was more successful than anyone else!!

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

I have to say, I'm a regular reader here, but a rare poster. Just to pick up on a few points and the dismay surrounding the county team's performance, most notably at the weekend, while disappointing, is hardly surprising. We'll come to that in a minute, but I just feel that to vilify any player, or member of a management team alike is just unfair and mean. We have to realise, in this day and age, and from our population pool and our current state of development that it will be lean and barren in the immediate short to mid-term. And I lament that and the state of affairs as much as anyone, it is very disheartening, but that is the way it is, and not for a lack of trying by those involved within the intercounty setup. For players to give up up to four nights of their working week, travelling from Limerick, Dublin, Cork and further a field, to train to the highest level of training, sacrificing home, work, social and family life for little, or in the current case no reward is highly commendable. For the litany of abuse and failure they currently recieve, would anyone of them be blamed if they walked away? No, yet they don't, they persist with a training regime that starts in mid november, with the best of facilities and guidance available to them, to afford us supporters the right and hope to travel to games hoping for a performance which unfortunatly hasn't been happening. This is an incredibly frustrating time for those who follow the team, but even harder for the small committed group of players which make that sacrifice week in, week out and shoulder a tonne of the grief that comes along with not heing fruitful on the playing field at the current time.

With regard to management, it was hearlded here a few months back when Eamonn Kelly was appointed, a revolutionary coach with a proven background with a team at an ebb such as Offaly's, see the current Kerry group. For anyone to think that Ciaran Carey came in and made that environment in less than six months would be wrong, the foundations laid by Kelly and his background team have laid the foundations for where they are thriving at their level now. Should we be talk of being at Kerry's level in comparrisson? Absolutely, because that is where we are, and we need to accept that and take stock of where we are and realise that the ass has to go before the cart now and start to build, not dig lower. Is it Eamonn Kelly or Brian Whelehans fault before him, or even those before that, that we are struggling to match even to average to low ranked teams? The conveyor belt isn't even trundling along, it has seized up, and will require a new machine to start the process again. Let's start with your own contribution as a coach, helper, parent, committee member, chairman or a general memeber. What are you, or your club doing as we will start there. What foundations have you put in place to deal with the development of a early school goingn child to develop their hand eye coordination, their approach to athletic develpment and skill recognition in your school or nursery in the field? How many parents have you drafted in to help and get the minimum level coaching award to feel confident in lending a hand both in the field, and in the homestead.
Have we helped create this environment, or has it been easier allow the kids be quiet and shove a tablet under their noses or a phone?

Following on from that as kids learn the basic athletic and motor funtions, hand eye coordination exercises etc., are they developing coming into ten to fourteen year olds where they can be exposed to more advanced coaching, shooting, tackling, catching and winning ball in contested drills within the training session, thus putting the more preparitive aspects neccessary to deal with the rigours of hurling in place, or is it pucking in twos, a few line drills and a match where 'That's it Johnny, let fly! Bull into it, that's the job!', or have you identified the need to come up with drills that replicate a match situation more closely. Now we're at the stage where the better of the cream and the more dominant, physically first, skillwise second, are sent into a development squad where they hope to start off a flourishing intercounty career and be the next TJ Reid. Where is that setup, and how often do they meet, and what is going on in them? This remember, is to be a step-up to the eliter level than you have providied at club level. The result? A six week camp, the first two, open trials where 40/50 kids attend a session in Banagher, and over those weeks it's whittled down to 24/30 and that group is to play in a couple of blitzes and trainings to be ready for the Tony Forristal come seasons end? Impossible. And it isnt solely down to those willing to get involved in these squads, but 'resources', 'time', 'logisitics', all the answers of a county who don't wish to move heaven and eart to run a productive, almost year round, set of academies at various age groups relevant to their progression, both skill wise and scientifically.

We have trundled along and the best end up on a minor panel, the average of 2-3 years, a minor team gets more resources and skillsets available to them to push them on and ready to prepare them for adult intercounty hurling, yet, the lads that have stepped up arent fully proficient in striking off both sides, movement, creative play, athletically developed, and it's at this stage the supporters and management alike panic, realise this is not a good group, the damage is done. The horse has bolted... And the belt is worn.

So now we end up with a chap, eighteen years young, about to be fed to the lions, and we, from ourseles within our clubs and schools, to the administration which have failed to put all their power and resources into going delving into this, the most vital cog of all the grass roots, and put in meaningful foundations to bulild on, and make this great game attractive, relevant, ground breaking and excitingn in this great county. From here on out let's cast the eye inward, and do whatever is in you damnest power to try and be the change.

Eamonn Kelly, his backroom team, his players, are giving as much of their time and resources to the cause, however frustrating. You all on here know players, members of the management or someone close to them, and the chatter coming out of the setup from players is that they still regard Kelly and his staff in the highest regard and he with them. The pool is small, neither he, nor Brian before him, or Baker before that can go into the homes of the lads we might like to hurl for us and drag them out the door, they've shown that disinterest over three management teams so each one can't be blamed for X, Y, or Z not being in there or not commiting. That's 9/10 a personal call and if they cant or don't want to committ to it, sobeit, such is life. We have a hard struggle ahead, but in a month's time we could still be in a leinster semi final, which was the realistic target at the start of the year. Carlow saturday, before Kerry, and hopefully Laois. The lads need us now more than ever, I thank them all for what they try to do, and I'll be clapping them come
Saturday evening please god as we try to salvage what's left of the year at this level.

Then maybe we'll realise the problem lies deeper somewhere else, and instead of being reactive to it, let's try proactive...

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

alltheway wrote:I have to say, I'm a regular reader here, but a rare poster. Just to pick up on a few points and the dismay surrounding the county team's performance, most notably at the weekend, while disappointing, is hardly surprising. We'll come to that in a minute, but I just feel that to vilify any player, or member of a management team alike is just unfair and mean. We have to realise, in this day and age, and from our population pool and our current state of development that it will be lean and barren in the immediate short to mid-term. And I lament that and the state of affairs as much as anyone, it is very disheartening, but that is the way it is, and not for a lack of trying by those involved within the intercounty setup. For players to give up up to four nights of their working week, travelling from Limerick, Dublin, Cork and further a field, to train to the highest level of training, sacrificing home, work, social and family life for little, or in the current case no reward is highly commendable. For the litany of abuse and failure they currently recieve, would anyone of them be blamed if they walked away? No, yet they don't, they persist with a training regime that starts in mid november, with the best of facilities and guidance available to them, to afford us supporters the right and hope to travel to games hoping for a performance which unfortunatly hasn't been happening. This is an incredibly frustrating time for those who follow the team, but even harder for the small committed group of players which make that sacrifice week in, week out and shoulder a tonne of the grief that comes along with not heing fruitful on the playing field at the current time.

With regard to management, it was hearlded here a few months back when Eamonn Kelly was appointed, a revolutionary coach with a proven background with a team at an ebb such as Offaly's, see the current Kerry group. For anyone to think that Ciaran Carey came in and made that environment in less than six months would be wrong, the foundations laid by Kelly and his background team have laid the foundations for where they are thriving at their level now. Should we be talk of being at Kerry's level in comparrisson? Absolutely, because that is where we are, and we need to accept that and take stock of where we are and realise that the ass has to go before the cart now and start to build, not dig lower. Is it Eamonn Kelly or Brian Whelehans fault before him, or even those before that, that we are struggling to match even to average to low ranked teams? The conveyor belt isn't even trundling along, it has seized up, and will require a new machine to start the process again. Let's start with your own contribution as a coach, helper, parent, committee member, chairman or a general memeber. What are you, or your club doing as we will start there. What foundations have you put in place to deal with the development of a early school goingn child to develop their hand eye coordination, their approach to athletic develpment and skill recognition in your school or nursery in the field? How many parents have you drafted in to help and get the minimum level coaching award to feel confident in lending a hand both in the field, and in the homestead.
Have we helped create this environment, or has it been easier allow the kids be quiet and shove a tablet under their noses or a phone?

Following on from that as kids learn the basic athletic and motor funtions, hand eye coordination exercises etc., are they developing coming into ten to fourteen year olds where they can be exposed to more advanced coaching, shooting, tackling, catching and winning ball in contested drills within the training session, thus putting the more preparitive aspects neccessary to deal with the rigours of hurling in place, or is it pucking in twos, a few line drills and a match where 'That's it Johnny, let fly! Bull into it, that's the job!', or have you identified the need to come up with drills that replicate a match situation more closely. Now we're at the stage where the better of the cream and the more dominant, physically first, skillwise second, are sent into a development squad where they hope to start off a flourishing intercounty career and be the next TJ Reid. Where is that setup, and how often do they meet, and what is going on in them? This remember, is to be a step-up to the eliter level than you have providied at club level. The result? A six week camp, the first two, open trials where 40/50 kids attend a session in Banagher, and over those weeks it's whittled down to 24/30 and that group is to play in a couple of blitzes and trainings to be ready for the Tony Forristal come seasons end? Impossible. And it isnt solely down to those willing to get involved in these squads, but 'resources', 'time', 'logisitics', all the answers of a county who don't wish to move heaven and eart to run a productive, almost year round, set of academies at various age groups relevant to their progression, both skill wise and scientifically.

We have trundled along and the best end up on a minor panel, the average of 2-3 years, a minor team gets more resources and skillsets available to them to push them on and ready to prepare them for adult intercounty hurling, yet, the lads that have stepped up arent fully proficient in striking off both sides, movement, creative play, athletically developed, and it's at this stage the supporters and management alike panic, realise this is not a good group, the damage is done. The horse has bolted... And the belt is worn.

So now we end up with a chap, eighteen years young, about to be fed to the lions, and we, from ourseles within our clubs and schools, to the administration which have failed to put all their power and resources into going delving into this, the most vital cog of all the grass roots, and put in meaningful foundations to bulild on, and make this great game attractive, relevant, ground breaking and excitingn in this great county. From here on out let's cast the eye inward, and do whatever is in you damnest power to try and be the change.

Eamonn Kelly, his backroom team, his players, are giving as much of their time and resources to the cause, however frustrating. You all on here know players, members of the management or someone close to them, and the chatter coming out of the setup from players is that they still regard Kelly and his staff in the highest regard and he with them. The pool is small, neither he, nor Brian before him, or Baker before that can go into the homes of the lads we might like to hurl for us and drag them out the door, they've shown that disinterest over three management teams so each one can't be blamed for X, Y, or Z not being in there or not commiting. That's 9/10 a personal call and if they cant or don't want to committ to it, sobeit, such is life. We have a hard struggle ahead, but in a month's time we could still be in a leinster semi final, which was the realistic target at the start of the year. Carlow saturday, before Kerry, and hopefully Laois. The lads need us now more than ever, I thank them all for what they try to do, and I'll be clapping them come
Saturday evening please god as we try to salvage what's left of the year at this level.

Then maybe we'll realise the problem lies deeper somewhere else, and instead of being reactive to it, let's try proactive...
Probably the best, most sensible post I've seen here in a long time...

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

alltheway's post ranks up there as one of the best posts I've ever read on any internet forum, or any print media for that matter. It points to the massive amount of work in front of all of us in Offaly if we are to raise Offaly hurling to a better place.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Daithi calling guys that are not the county panel GOBSHITES .

WHO MADE HIM GOD????

great post even if i dont agree that e kelly did a good job last sunday , his starting team was all wrong , c kiely and d king should have started .
he seem to read too much into the tipp u 21 game .
i know offaly played birr before the kerry game too and both game seem to have an negitive effect on them .
whether it was fatigue or over confident .
have offaly play kk who seem to be flying under m fogerty

it think we can still quallify if we get they team structure right and take off the shakles like we did against wexford .

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

Great post alltheway..Sam that's his opinion doesn't make him God.there is no point in saying this fella and that fella shud be here there or anywhere if they are not on the panel..

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Keiap wrote:Great post alltheway..Sam that's his opinion doesn't make him God.there is no point in saying this fella and that fella shud be here there or anywhere if they are not on the panel..
i agree totally but because lads are not there does not give anyone the right to call them gobshites and especially from a guy who was never guilt of over training himself and knew how to party .
i know most of the guys that he is talking about and they are all fine young men with busy lives who cannot give 4 or 5 days a week from november to offaly .
That does not mean that they wouldnt love to but guys have to work and rear famillies . Other are in college and have to work to fund it so there is simply not enough time to give 4 or 5 evening a week to offaly .