Offaly's celebration of 1916's golden jubilee

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly's celebration of 1916's golden jubilee

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wrote this last month for the Offaly v Kerry programme but it didn't make the editor's cut (which is fair enough) but I said I'd share it with ye folks. The 1966 Div 2 Final was played on 24th April of that year and Offaly commemorated the event by wearing their own tricolours and making what was a significant breakthrough. that 1966 league win begat 1969's near miss, which in turn begat the golden years. Bainigí taitneamh as.

The 1966 Offaly v Kerry NHL Division II Final

Pat Donegan takes a retrospective look at the day Offaly hurling emerged from the shadows

In several respects it was the genesis of Offaly hurling – a NHL Division 2 Final win, promotion to the top flight, a gateway opened.

After a barren decade, the 1965/66 League brought Offaly hurling cause for optimism. Kerry were overcame in an opening round 7-12 to 3-9 win here at Birr, commencing an unbeaten run, and qualifying for the final with a 6-10 to 5-4 defeat of Westmeath. Kerry had recovered from that St Brendan’s Park setback to reach the Final as Declan Lovett scored 3-5 in a semi-final win over Antrim.

The Final was played in Croke Park on 24th April, the exact date of the commencement of the Easter Rising 50 years previously. Under rule both Offaly and Kerry would ordinarily change their colours but Offaly requested they retain their tricoloured jerseys, owing to the jubilee of the 1916 rising, and Kerry acceded to the request.

In a pendulum of a first-half, Paddy Spellman quickly goaled and Offaly led 1-2 to 0-1. Pat Finnegan fired home a goal, then added three points in as many minutes, and Kerry led 1-5 to 1-3. Paudge Mulhare was introduced after 20 minutes and the Cloghan forward quickly stormed in to goal. Éamon O’Sullivan instantly replied with a Kerry goal and on the stroke of half-time Lovett goaled a close range free to give Kerry a 3-6 to 2-4 half time lead.

Backed by the elements, Offaly improved after the restart. John Joe Healion and Basil Johnson dominated midfield, Paudge Mulhare and Paddy Molloy were the best of the forwards while Paddy Spellman was busy at centre half-forward. Mulhare scored his second goal ten minutes after the restart to draw level, Tony Dooley added Offaly’s fourth goal, and points by Spellman (free), Gorman (2) and Molloy closed it out for a 4-11 to 3-9 win. Johnny Culloty’s superb goalkeeping kept Kerry in the hunt.

Before the year was out, Offaly had beaten both Waterford and Tipperary in the NHL. Three years later they dethroned All-Ireland champions Wexford, before going down narrowly to Kilkenny in 1969’s Leinster Final. That team broke up soon after but the seeds were sown that would see Offaly claim the MacCarthy Cup 15 years on from that 1966 breakthrough.

The teams who lined out in that Division II Final 50 years ago next month were: -
Offaly: Andy Gallagher; Peter O’Meara, Joe Murphy, Jackie Dooley; Gerry Kirwan, Mick Kirwan, Joe Hernon; John Joe Healion, Basil Johnson; Éamonn Fox (0-1), Willie Gorman (0-3), Tom Feighery; Paddy Molloy (0-5, 0-4 frees), Paddy Spellman (1-2), Tony Dooley (1-0). Sub: Paudge Mulhare (2-0) for T Feighery.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty; Nicholas Quill, Niall Sheehy, Mick Joe Quinlan; Willie McGuire, Richie McElligott, Tom Kirby; Tom Bawn McCarthy, Pat Finnegan (1-5); Declan Lovett (1-3, frees), Tom Kenny (0-1), Jim McGrath; Éamon Diggins, Éamon O’Sullivan (1-0), John Barry. Subs: Tom Nolan for TB McCarthy, T O’Sullivan for J McGrath.

Referee: Pat Edwards, Dublin.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Re: Offaly's celebration of 1916's golden jubilee

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

I see that Johnny Culloty the great football goalkeeper played in goals for the hurlers as well. I didn't realise he played hurling.

According to wiki he won 4 division 2 league medals in hurling.

He was manger of Kerry footballers in 1972 when we beat them in AI final.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Niall Sheehy, who played full-back for Kerry that day, was the footballing legend too, EiC. Sheehy won All-Irelands at full-back with Kerry footballers in 1959 and 1962. I see his Wiki page also credits him with a quartet of NHL D2 wins. Kerry won three NHL D2s during the 1960s, in 1962, 1967 and 1968. Perhaps the fourth title won by Culloty and Sheehy was in the late 1950s.

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Two green flags from sub Podge Mulhare ... is there anything that man cannot do?!

Out of interest POTH can you tell me what did make the cut for the programme in its place (assuming some other feature did and the content is restricted by sponsor, teams and player profiles etc).

Seems to me that the average supporter would love to read something like this.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

keyboardwarrior wrote:Two green flags from sub Podge Mulhare ... is there anything that man cannot do?!

Out of interest POTH can you tell me what did make the cut for the programme in its place (assuming some other feature did and the content is restricted by sponsor, teams and player profiles etc).

That was 50 years ago, let's not get carried away. Even the great Podge, a man of many talents could not reverse the clock, but I agree with your praise.
That was a very good article POTH on the final in 1966, I fail to see why it was excluded. Johnny Cullotty was a football goal keeper with Kerry also. He played in the 1969 final v Offaly, won by Kerry on 0-10 to 0-7 score line.
Johnny was a psychiatric nurse in Killarney's mental hospital.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I suppose everyone has their own ideas of what programmes should be. I'd be a keen collector of programmes and would appreciate such items myself. I always enjoy the Leo McGough pieces in the Leinster Council programmes. Others would turn the page on such a piece, thinking 'quit living in the past', and that's understandable.

Last month's Kerry NHL programme was the usual 12 page publication and consisted of the following
- front cover (1 page),
- team pages (2 centre pages),
- player profiles for Shane Kinsella & Seán Ryan (2 pages)
- Tribute to James Dempsey on his 50th appearance (1 page)
- list of pervious Offaly v Kerry NHLs (1 page)
- advertisements (3 pages)
- promotional (details of summer camps, supporters club details) (2 pages)

And there's always the programme for the forthcoming round robin match against Kerry.
keyboardwarrior wrote:Two green flags from sub Podge Mulhare ... is there anything that man cannot do?!

SearingDrive wrote:That was 50 years ago, let's not get carried away. Even the great Podge, a man of many talents could not reverse the clock, but I agree with your praise.
That was a very good article POTH on the final in 1966, I fail to see why it was excluded. Johnny Cullotty was a football goal keeper with Kerry also. He played in the 1969 final v Offaly, won by Kerry on 0-10 to 0-7 score line.
Johnny was a psychiatric nurse in Killarney's mental hospital.