Leinster MFC 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Leinster MFC 2016

Post by Buttons »

Best of luck today for the lads, will be good to see what level they are at.

1. Barry Rohan Shannonbridge
2. Ronan Hynes Shannonbridge
3. Dylan Kavanagh Rhode
4. Jack Quinn Ballycumber
5. Kieran Hartnett Clara
6. Stefan Geoghegan Bracknagh
7. Dan Molloy Durrow
8. Michael Mooney Ballinamere
9. Shane Molloy Durrow
10. Andrew Delaney Shamrocks
11.Cian o Neill Clonbullogue
12. Shane o Brien Clonbullogue
13.Cian Johnson Ferbane
14. David Fleming Clara
15. Eoin Farrell Edenderry

Truth as i see it
All Star

Re: Leinster MFC 2016

Post by Truth as i see it »

After the heavy loss to Dublin Yesterday i have to ask the question, is our performances at this level down to fitness issues or psychological reasons

It can't be fitness as they have been getting the right kind of strength and conditional training for the past 3 years now so the only thing i can put it down to is their lack of self belief when facing teams of this caliber, we've seen in the past when the seniors get themselves into a winning positions only to sabotage themselves through fear of losing a game, though this didn't happen in this game i get the feeling that the players excepted defeat before they even stepped onto the pitch. lack of a belief in this county is a chronic problem at all levels in this county in my opinion

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

It is very difficult now realistically to be able to compete with Dublin on a consistent basis at underage level. Even if the correct preparation has gone into the team, the fact of the matter is that Dublin's team will be equally well prepared. However the pool of talent which Dublin can draw on is vast. How many players are actually playing minor in Offaly. Whatever the number multiply it by at least 10 for Dublin.
I am not being defeatist, but I am a realist. We need to just work away at producing the best players we can for our senior set up in the future, and every once in a while a special bunch will come along that can rise to the challenge, and hopefully if the right systems are in place some silverware might come our way.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Offaly v Dublin the way things have gone will really be an uphill battle at all levels. We haven't been competitive with them really at any level in long long time - though Dublin in the last 10 years really have their underage well looked after - that in addition to their numbers puts them on a different level. The last game I remember Offaly giving them a real test was at minor level about 6/7 years ago when it finished in a draw and Offaly lost in extra time. Think Bernard Allen tormented Dublin the same day. From reading the Sunday indo today and them taking up residence in the new GAA coaching and games complex out near Blanchardstown, they will be a step ahead of most counties.

Offaly need to aim to be the best of all the counties outside of Dublin and possibly Kildare - who also appear to be on another level. That said, I think we should never have any fear about playing Kildare, and on the odd occasion at any level, we could beat them.

While we hear a lot about this strength and conditioning etc having improved of late, ive yet to see it or any evidence of it. We are always smaller and lighter than other teams at underage levels. Where is it done, who runs it etc. Ive heard Athlone IT mentioned a few times in this regard but lads hardly go to Athlone IT to do S&C or am I wrong here? Surely the lads do whatever they do in gyms around the county or in group sessions together?

The result yesterday is disappointing but in lots of ways, drawing Dublin was a great first round draw and was a bonus in the sense that now, they have a full run at a Leinster championship with Dublin on the far side of the draw. They will learn from it, develop and be all the better for having played it. They now have two winnable games against Longford and Wicklow to get back in to the championship and winning these games would give them a real sense of purpose and boost their confidence.
jimbob

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

jimbob17 wrote:The result yesterday is disappointing but in lots of ways, drawing Dublin was a great first round draw and was a bonus in the sense that now, they have a full run at a Leinster championship with Dublin on the far side of the draw. They will learn from it, develop and be all the better for having played it. They now have two winnable games against Longford and Wicklow to get back in to the championship and winning these games would give them a real sense of purpose and boost their confidence.
Totally agree, they have played the best and know where they are at, 2 winnable games and you're in the Leinster quarters and you never know what might happen.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Well done on coming from a 5 point deficit to win, onto quarter finals now. They will have to do it hard way with not having any games at home this year. These 2 games will stand against their opponent, the draw for qfs is tomorrow I think.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Good win allright ( OY 1-13, WW 2-9) as it's never easy to win in Aughrim at any grade.

Followed it on Offaly twitter page. I think Mary Dunne the fixtures secretary provides a brilliant service there. Well done as it's very easy at the moment to bash our county board officials on the hurling front.

Draw for 1/4 finals tomorrow. Wonder is it an open draw ? Hope we avoid Dublin.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Thoroughly enjoyable match. Took complete control in the 2nd half then let Wicklow almost snatch a result.
Really depends on the draw now to see if more progress is possible. If I'm being honest Wicklow didn't look great and too many Offaly attacks were over complicated but there was great heart and a bit of pride shown in the jersey which was refreshing after the pathetic effort in Mullingar on Sunday.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

bracknaghboy wrote:Thoroughly enjoyable match. Took complete control in the 2nd half then let Wicklow almost snatch a result.
Really depends on the draw now to see if more progress is possible. If I'm being honest Wicklow didn't look great and too many Offaly attacks were over complicated but there was great heart and a bit of pride shown in the jersey which was refreshing after the pathetic effort in Mullingar on Sunday.
Congrats to one and all, keep it going lads.

Bit harsh on the minor hurlers though, didn't think their performance was that pathetic. They can only beat what's in front of them! :D

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just back from Aughrim and in the current climate I suppose it’s great to get any kind of a win. Offaly dominated the middle third of both halves. They didn’t score enough during their first half dominance, but kicked some fine scored during their dominance after half-time. The turning point was when Wicklow had a point disallowed after the scorer took way too many steps. That would have put the hoe team six points ahead. Instead, Offaly scored their goal soon after.

Edge of the seat stuff for a conclusion and twice Wicklow drove the ball into the Offaly square but Offaly defended in numbers and defended well. I suppose, heel of the hunt, Offaly showed character, and that’s what matters.

That was my second time in Aughrim, and I think it is a lovely compact and scenic ground. They've built a new stand on the road side since I was there last too. It shouldn't get the bad press that it does.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Its great to hear a bit of positivity on this forum - a far remove from the general doom and gloom that is often touted on here, myself included. This is two championship away wins on the bounce now - a rare occurrence for any Offaly team. They have a bit of momentum now going into the next round which should give them confidence as they cant play Dublin until a possible final due to their first round meeting. Really, they shouldnt fear anybody they could meet in a quarter or semi final and have it all to play for now. Anybody have any idea when the next round might be?
jimbob

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Per Leinster GAA website the quarter finals are to be played on 20/21/22 May with semi finals in 6 July and final on 17 July

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Brilliant win , beaten by Dublin early on but I wouldn't fear them or anyone . These two wins will stand to us , far play to all involved keep her lit lads .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Wexford up next in the quarter final !!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:Thoroughly enjoyable match. Took complete control in the 2nd half then let Wicklow almost snatch a result.
did you see them in parnell park again Dublin :?: