Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by kaiserchief »

Pat you made a statement and contradicted yourself in the next sentence.

I know planning fixtures at the beginning of year based around offaly being knocked out is not the best situation for any county board sec.

My problem is Offaly are knocked out since the 9th of July (11 days) and we still making fixtures on a week to week basis.

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

kaiserchief wrote: My problem is Offaly are knocked out since the 9th of July (11 days) and we still making fixtures on a week to week basis.

Exactly. Also this 'weekend of' business is a joke. Surely the board can sit down and
set fixtures for the next 6-8 weeks. Not so much venues but dates at least. There is a huge difference
between a Friday evening fixture and a Sunday evening fixture for example. Nobody wants to be sitting around until the Monday of the game week to know what day they are playing. It's simple stuff that can be sorted with some organisation.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Very frustrating for players and managers throughout the county, weekend after next is bank holiday weekend and lads don't know when they're playing. It's a joke, do they not have any consideration for people trying to make plans in advance! Should be no reason that they can't release fixtures for at least the next month. Is it any wonder the GAA is dying a death in the county!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Thanks for posting that, Frank. I agree with you on the two points you raised. The All-Ireland Final is indeed on Sunday 4th (I've just checked), although the master list is made with the All-Ireland being on the following Sunday, the 11th.
frankthetank wrote:SHC Round 3: weekend July 29th - August 1st

SHC Round 4: weekend August 12th - August 14th

SHC Round 5: weekend August 19th - August 21st

SHC Q-Finals: weekend September 2nd - September 4th

SHC S-Finals: Sunday September 18th

SHC Final: Sunday October 16th

2 things that jump out immediately are A) The 4 week gap between semi final and final and B) the possibility that all 4 Q-Finals will have to be played on Saturday September 3rd because if you play any of them on the Sunday you are depriving a lot of people the chance to attend the All Ireland Hurling Final.
I would predict that due to a mistake being made as to when the All Ireland Hurling Final is on (as an aside that's fairly unacceptable if you are involved in making a master fixture list!!) that the County Q-Finals and Semi Finals will be pushed back one week thus only leaving a 3 week gap between semi finals and final.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hould on a minute there. FTT posted the dates for the Senior urling championship, you said you could see the dates changing on the basis that "they never stick to the proposal they set out!" The Senior hurling fixtures (for that is what we are referring) have generally run to the plan since they started doing master lists a few years ago. no contradiction on my part.

There will always be unforeseen circumstances (like a bereavement, of a bad spell of weather) which will cause delays, there's nothing that can be done about those eventualities. And I'm not sure how practical it is to set fixtures in stone for over a long period in advance - something will come up that will require a change, a dual club being involved in a replay, or an intercounty replay live on television, or a religious event or something.
kaiserchief wrote:Pat you made a statement and contradicted yourself in the next sentence.

I know planning fixtures at the beginning of year based around offaly being knocked out is not the best situation for any county board sec.

My problem is Offaly are knocked out since the 9th of July (11 days) and we still making fixtures on a week to week basis.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

It's now Thursday 3pm and fixtures for next round of hurling championship, nevermind the next month still not released.

This is exactly what Offaly GAA think of clubs and club players.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

I agree 100% Kaiser surely they know what the fixtures are going to be for in 8 days time!

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

It's an absolute disgrace to be honest at this stage. People should be made answer questions at this stage.
More than likely have one game Friday evening, a double header in Tullamore Saturday, Sunday morning fixture and Double header Sunday evening in Birr or Rath like last round.
It's a bank holiday weekend. Dish out the fixtures and let people make plans with their families n play all 6 games between Friday and Saturday. Simple as..

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

kaiserchief wrote: Dish out the fixtures and let people make plans with their families n play all 6 games between Friday and Saturday. Simple as..
100% agree. These fellas are trying to tell us that they can implement a long term plan for Offaly hurling yet they cant organise what is happening in 8 days time. That sums it up for me really. A shambolic amateur set-up completely unsuitable for modern hurling and modern life in general.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Round 3 SHC fixtures are on the Offaly GAA website.

Again no fixtures for St Brendan's Park but 3 for O'Connor Park and 2 for Banagher. The fixtures secretary should be ashamed that after 3 rounds of SHC (18 games) there still wont have been one game played in Birr. Im not from the Birr club but I find this shocking.

Double headers in Birr are a far more attractive proposition than double headers in Tullamore. I was at the double header in OCP last weekend and it was dead. Kilcoramac and Banagher in Birr would at least create some bit of an atmosphere.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I believe the Birr club held Belmont and Shinrone in the first round.

But for two rounds to pass...and double headers in OCP yet again you would have to wonder will the county board ever learn, the whole county is againSt them and they are throwing more fuel on the fire, things will turn much worse for the CB unless they start playing ball with south Offaly clubs.

You have to feel sorry for the Birr club at this stage the county board are totally trying to show them who is the boss.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

This is gone beyond a joke now. Double headers in ocp need to be scrapped until quarter finals at least. Just doesn't work,no atmosphere n no sense.

It does make sense to have Tullamore play Shamrocks there , but dragging Shinrone and Rynaghs there to fulfil a double header, FFS! Wake up will ye...

I'm not a fan of this south n north divide and the whole hurling back to birr or even birr having home advantage but it only makes perfect sense to play shinrone n rynaghs in Birr.

And what's worse, another early morning kick off on a bank holiday Sunday n also 2 intermediates games @ 6 on the Sunday evening.

It's a complete shambles and angers me that the county board sec does this. I know it's a thankless job n there is a queue of volunteers for it but Jesus if your goin to do it at least do it with some consideration for players and common sense.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Did I just see a few fixtures on this Sunday at the same time as the All Ireland Hurling QFs??? Ffs lads, I give up.

kaiserchief
All Star

Post by kaiserchief »

No I dont think there is..

Coolderry vs Kinnitty in Banagher @ 12pm
Clodiagh Gaels vs Birr in Kinnitty @ 6pm
Carraig Riverstown vs Brosna Gaels in Lusmagh @ 6pm

These Sunday fixtures are a disgrace for 2 reasons:

1. Having a senior championship match in the morning. FFS, lad train all year around to have games fixed first thing in the morning and worse it's a Bank holiday Sunday.

2. 4 teams waiting around to play a game @ 6pm on a Sunday evening. Birr seniors are out Sunday so no reason why the Clodiagh Gaels vs Birr could be played on Saturday evening. Its the first team for Carraig and Brosna Gaels. Could play this Friday or Saturday.

I hope the county board sec is reading this, wake the f**k up!!!!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

kaiserchief wrote:No I dont think there is..

Coolderry vs Kinnitty in Banagher @ 12pm
Clodiagh Gaels vs Birr in Kinnitty @ 6pm
Carraig Riverstown vs Brosna Gaels in Lusmagh @ 6pm

These Sunday fixtures are a disgrace for 2 reasons:

1. Having a senior championship match in the morning. FFS, lad train all year around to have games fixed first thing in the morning and worse it's a Bank holiday Sunday.

2. 4 teams waiting around to play a game @ 6pm on a Sunday evening. Birr seniors are out Sunday so no reason why the Clodiagh Gaels vs Birr could be played on Saturday evening. Its the first team for Carraig and Brosna Gaels. Could play this Friday or Saturday.

I hope the county board sec is reading this, wake the f**k up!!!!
No, I meant this Sunday coming there is football championship fixtures on the same time as the hurling QFs .