Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by Buttons »

Round 4 fixtures
Fri 12th Lusmagh vs Shinrone 7pm Clareen

Sat 13th St Rynaghs vs Belmont Birr 5pm
Coolderry vs Seir Kieran 6.30 Birr

Sun 14th Tulamore vs Birr 11.30 Kinnity
Ballinamere vs Kilcormac/ kil 1pm Kinnity
Kinnity vs Shamrocks 6pm Killeigh

No love for OCP this week

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Credit where it's due, that's a much better spread of fixtures. I am pleased for Kinnitty who get a double header, and especially pleased for Killeigh who also get a game.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Fair play. I've no doubt that several people registered their disagreement with the situation, some in a polite and measured fashion and some probably a lot less so. However the county board has taken on board the views and responded - ye can be sure that this wouldn't be the norm across the country.

Two excellent games in Birr on the Saturday - I know Coolderry are still long odds on to qualify for the knockout stages, but I've no doubt they won't want to leave themselves going into a final round game against Tullamore on the back of three defeats in a row, needing a win. They need a backlash here, but by the same token Clareen will want to get back on track after letting a goal lead slip late on against Birr.

Huge results for Kinnitty and Belmont at the weekend - based on that, there are now eight clubs in the county that could entertain very realistic aspirations of reaching a county final. That's an excellent state of affairs. Belmont vs Rynaghs could be spicy enough too, it would be unusual for it to be any other way.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Gud to see common sense at last on fixtures. Having gone to a few games best performances over week end by kinnity v coolderry and a very "understrenght" rynaghs who humiliated shinrone who had full team. Looks like Fogarty not all he's cracked up to be in kk either they struggled v Belmont especially Healion at full back. Really theres only a couple of teams can win it. Birr, Rynaghs, KK and possibly Kinnity for semis, with rynaghs v kk final.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

The attendence @ the games in Kinnitty on Sunday morning should be interesting with the Tullamore show on. With over 50,000 people in attendence at the show last year, this will surely affect both Ballinamere and Tullamore traffic on route to Kinnitty.

It might also be a problem for Shamrocks and Kinnitty who play in Kileigh later that evening @ 6pm.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Just made two games at the weekend.
Kilcormac Killoughey vs Belmont was a cracking game. Both team started slowly. K/K got in for an early goal and push themselves into a winning position. They switch off and Belmont took over the game and really should have finished the game off. Oisin Kelly and Selvin was excellent. Kelly had a great second half but that was down to the great ball coming to him cause the KK midfield were really poor. David Kenny and Mark Egan were super.(Kenny is back to his best). Haven't seen Kenny looking this good in 4 years. The standard of play in the match was excellent. Belmont physical targeted the young KK players and over power them. Brian Lenoard, Mark Egan and David Kenny were great.

Coolderry vs Kinnity. Kinnity hammered a clueless Coolderry team (Sorry Coolderry). The difference between the team were the half back lines. Coolderry half back trying to win the ball in the air and missing it leaving the Kinnity half forwards to run on to ball and straight at the full back line. Kinnity half back batting the ball back into midfield. Paddy Rigney and the rest of Kinnity were outstanding. Coolderry only Barry Teehan was the only player to put up any fight and the Goalkeeper (but he be upset at the 2nd goal should have stop it). This game could bring on Kinnity a lot.
But lets face fact Coolderry were really poor. Colm Coughlan, Paddy Rigney, Paddy Delaney and Shane Kinsella were unbelievable. Will Coolderry make a quarter final?

Only saw the result with Birr vs Seir Keirans. Keirans were a few point up going into injury time and Birr fought back to take the win. Good result for Birr.
Ryangh's will feel there back on track after hammering Shinrone.
Shamrock will have targeted the Tullamore game and got the win they wanted. Tullamore are in trouble.
Ballinmere got a good win over Lusmagh. Ballinmere extra years at senior level counted to them. but game like this will bring on a young but good Lusmagh team.

Pos. Team ......P W L D F A Pts
1 Birr......... 3 3 0 0 65 43 6
2 Seir Kieran 3 2 1 0 68 38 4
3 Kinnitty........ 3 2 1 0 69 51 4
4 Coolderry .......3 1 2 0 46 66 2
5 Na Seamróga 3 1 2 0 36 60 2
6 Tullamore...... 3 0 3 0 38 64 0

Pos. Team..................... P W L D F A Pts
1 Kilcormac-Killoughey ......3 2 0 1 63 46 5
2 St Rynagh's Hurling Club 3 2 1 0 62 42 4
3 Shinrone................. 3 2 1 0 63 50 4
4 Belmont GAA............ 3 1 1 1 69 50 3
5 Ballinamere............ 3 1 2 0 41 66 2
6 Lusmagh GAA........... 3 0 3 0 38 82 0

Looking forward to heading to Birr in the next round.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

My projected quarter-final pairings –

Kilcormac v Coolderry
Rynagh’s v Kinnitty
Clareen v Shinrone
Birr v Belmont
(with the biggest assumptions being Rynagh’s beating Belmont and Clareen beating Coolderry)

I was hugely impressed with a stylish, skilful, quick, refreshing, organised Kinnitty on Sunday. The first striking factor is the way they measure every ball – none of the Offaly thing of bating the ball and hoping someone will be there to meet it, Kinnitty take the extra step to look up and weigh things up. They were under pressure to get a result against Tullamore, but the shackles were off against Coolderry and they hurled with a determination and a purpose not seen Mountainside for a few years now. It means alot to Kinnitty to get one over on their neighbours and there’ll be a quite satisfaction that their 12 point winning margin exceeded their previous biggest winning margin over Coolderry, the nine point wins of the 1979 final replay (5-8 to 1-11) and the 1984 semi-final (2-19 to 1-13).

A potent attack who made great space for themselves, Odhrán Kealey has rediscovered his form of about three years ago, Colm Coughlan is mobile and gets out in front well from full-forward, and Eóghan Callaghan is a prospect. Further outfield, Shane Kinsella looks like a Colin Egan, tall, rangy, athletic, wins ball, breaks tackles. And Liam Bergin is there to do the hard work. Mattie McRedmond too is hurling like it’s 2008.

But the defence. Paddy Delaney continues to improve with every game – his breaking the dropping ball and run upfield where he left Brian Carroll smelling exhaust was the game’s highlight for me, and it deserved a score. Brian Coughlan had his best game for some time too. Paddy Rigney too continues to improve at full-back. Kevin O’Connor proved his worth in goals with a string of fine saves and a good puckout.

Coolderry were poor and their defence was opened up too often. Granted they were missing players, and Cathal Parlon, Kevin Brady, Martin Corcoran and Damien Murray are big boots for a rural club to have to fill. Still, they started eleven of the fifteen who reached the All-Ireland, with Declan Parlon, Mark Bergin, Michael Ryan and Kevin Connolly replacing the aforementioned. And maybe that is their problem, that they still have eleven of the Leinster wining side five years on. And Bergin, Ryan and Connolly were very much on the scene then. On the other hand, William Malone looked confident when he came on, and looks like he has a contribution to make to the attack. And Brian Carroll (now in his 17th season hurling Senior) will benefit from the extra two weeks. And Kevin Brady will be an addition. They’re under pressure now and with a negative scoring difference will be under pressure to avoid Kilcormac in the quarter-final.

Underdogs last Sunday, Kinnitty have probably an ideal psychological test against Shamrocks, that of being favourites.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Just a few more thoughts on Coolderry. When they won the County Final in 2011 there were none over age 30 and their average age was 25.
Last Sunday against Kinnitty, there were seven starters over 30 and their average age was 28.

Now, on the other hand, Stephen Connolly, Stephen Burke and Conor Molloy are currently missing, all made a big contribution last year and their inclusion would bring down the average age somewhat. But Coolderry are an ageing team.

Rodgie
Junior B

Post by Rodgie »

I was at KK V Belmont, first game of the year for me to get to. Oisin kelly from Belmont looks like a great prospect. I thought he gave KK alot of trouble at the back. KK still on track put looks like Birr have improved most this year. Coolderry, I gather from reading Poth's are missing, Kevin Brady, Martin Corcoran, Cathal Parlon, Damien Murray, Stephen Connolly, Stephen Burke, and Conor Molloy. That's an incredible amount of guys to loose... Heard Brian Carroll only arrived back from the U.S. on the friday before the game. Kinnity from reports look like they are playing well also at moment and will have a say this year I imagine..

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

The results of last weekends hurling group games confirms the poor structure of the Offaly Senior Hurling championship. Teams can be defeated in 3 games and still qualify for the Co Quarter Final. The Offaly Hurling Championship in effect does not commence until September. A new more competitive structure is required or group games will be played with less than 100 in attendance.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Clubs turned down a structure during the CB meeting earlier meeting.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

I think last weekend results were the most significant we've seen in the last few years. We now probably have 7 genuine title contenders. Now I don't think we were able to say that in a while! This is my top 7:

KK - still favs, few lads to come back in and will be hard beat come knock out.
Birr - seem to be getting a good blend right and won't fear anyone
Rynaghs - don't think they'll make final this year, but can't be written off either.
Clareen - can beat anyone on their day but can also lose to anyone, time for them to push on.
Kinnitty - some classy players and will make it hard for any team to beat them.
Belmont - next game will tell a lot but so far tipping nicely along with lethal forwards.
Coolderry - still county champs! If they get more lads back soon they'll fancy themselves.

Shinrone no threat to anyone above.

Ballinamere, Lusmagh and Shamrocks survival will be success.

Tullamore - relegation beckons. Producing nothing, very disappointing.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I dont know if I necessarily agree that Shinrone arent a threat to anyone. They are into the league final and a win there would give them great belief that the Rynaghs result was just a bad day at the office.

Rynaghs look like a team on the move and with a good amount of players to come back into it you'd have to fancy them. There'll be serious competition for places when Dermot Shortt, Conor Hernon, Stephen Wynne and others return. Surely the heartbreak of the last few years will also drive them on.

Birr too are in with a great shout. Seemed to have turned the corner and have a really good balance to the team with solid leaders in every line if the field. Sean Ryan, Dylan Hayden and Brian Watkins is an excellent club half backline.

Also are Belmont a genuine darkhorse?? I think they are.

Head on the block I'll say a Birr vs St Rynaghs final (hopefully in SBP!!!) if they can avoid each other in Semi Finals.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I agred frnkthetank, I wouldnt throw Shinrone outta the pot just yet. They will give Clareen a good rattle in the league final and looks more than likely for them both to meet in the quater finals. They have already won 2 games with the key one beating Belmont and have a crack @ KK to make up for the disaster in OCP.

KK & Rynaghs finishing 1st and 2nd will face more than likely kinnitty and coolderry and I reckon both will be too strong for either team when they get the players they are missing back.

Last quater final looks to be Birr against Belmont. Next week is a big test for Belmont against Rynaghs. It will show if they can keep the ball rolling after the KK game and consistantly put in the performnces.

The relegation battle anyone could have called at the beginning of the year. Something needs to be looked at here. It will see prospect of a local derby in Tullamore (Dooley) versus Ballinamere (Murphy). Shamrocks put in a good performance last week but are still a far bit behind the Clareens & Kinnittys. Lusmagh seem to be hit with injuries to players they can't afford to loose and will struggle to stay up.
BRING IN A WEAK GROUP OR SENIOR B, and remove the bullshit games. Paddypower putting odds of teams @ 1/33 should prove this point.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Agree with almost everything in the last few posts.
We need to have more competitive game. 100% agree.
But competitive game at the correct time of the year,
There no point in playing games in the deep dark winter.
The other thing i should point out is that no matter what format you will have, Some team taking a hammering on a day and so given hammering on there day. That the nature of sport.
Team in transition will that beating and sometime you need to take a beat to see what you build on next.
Doesn't make them bad team, Just bad on the day.

The Format should be not to stop hammering but to bring teams on and improve players and quality game will do that.
The advantage with the current format this that every/improving club team get two group game they can win and two more games that they can save themselves from the drop. that a 3 good game a year. if they avoid the drop the 1st day.
That too little for team trying to improve.
Use the current format and extend it to Home and away games. That would give the Improving clubs at least 6 good games a years. Yeah team will take hammering but they have a home game to help them close the gap.
No matter format the championship take there will always be dud games. (unless it straight knock out and even at that the 1st round would have poor games).

The other thing with this format the 1st 4 games can be played without inter county players, Yeah it will weaking the established team but it won't adversely effect the team over the whole championship(if there good enough) and has the advantage of given club players games in May and june at least.
“Common sense is not so common.”