Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
KeshaWantsTimber
Junior A
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 am

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by KeshaWantsTimber » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:07 pm

The poster that said Tipp only have to worry about hurling sums up Offaly GAA at almost every level...attitudes are still
in the 1980's.

Then everyone goes back to the Birr v Tullamore debate. Pointless.

Nobody discussing the new group being headed by Brian Carroll entrusted to lift Offaly hurling. Nobody is talking about viable candidates for the Offaly hurling manager job as the club championship (talent spotting window for new manager) comes towards conclusion.

If this forum is reflective of the general atmosphere in the county then it's not positive.

kaiserchief
All Star
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm
Club: town

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by kaiserchief » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

I agree Loneshark but if teams want to play semi final in different locations let them make that decision and not the CB.

i believe the ticket system was introduced to tullamore like most county grounds to stop fiddling with the gates and letting people in for free? am i correct?

kaiserchief
All Star
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm
Club: town

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by kaiserchief » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:56 am

I have just seen both have been fixed for OCP Sunday 2nd October.

User avatar
Lone Shark
All Star
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:21 pm
Club: Ferbane
Location: Back Home!
Contact:

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by Lone Shark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:01 am

kaiserchief wrote:I agree Loneshark but if teams want to play semi final in different locations let them make that decision and not the CB.

i believe the ticket system was introduced to tullamore like most county grounds to stop fiddling with the gates and letting people in for free? am i correct?
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that the clubs should get to make up their minds on where to play - that ultimately has to be a call for the CCC. I do think it should be borne in mind, particularly in a situation where it's revenue neutral for the county's coffers. I've also got different versions of the story with regard to whether or not Birr are still offering up St Brendan's Park on a rent-free basis. My initial understanding was that this was the case and if so, the case for playing games of this nature there is meaningful. If they are looking for 15% ground rent, then they have to have a 20% bigger gate to justify that - and while there is now (finally) some evidence to suggest that there is an upturn in crowds at SBP, there isn't evidence to suggest that it's of that scale. There was about 20% of a gap at the weekend, but at least some of that has to be put down to the fact that far more people are free to attend games on a Sunday afternoon than on a Saturday afternoon.

As for the ticketing system, I don't know of any issue with fiddling on the gates at Tullamore and I certainly never heard of it, but I do know it's best practice and if I was one of the guys operating a turnstile, I'd want it that way to ensure that there is no danger of people starting unfounded rumours about a volunteer just trying to help out. You hear stories of lifting money off the gate from nearly every ground in the country so it makes sense to put in a system like this to take any shred of doubt away. People are hoors like that - purple monkey dishwasher will kick in very quick.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm
Club: town

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by kaiserchief » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:37 am

The ticket system makes sense and I am sure it works in OCP. If one has to pay everyone should have to pay.

Anyways, decision is made, semi finals in OCP. Lets hope conditions are good and two good games are served up.

SearingDrive
All Star
Posts: 699
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by SearingDrive » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:09 pm

frankthetank wrote:I'm still not of the opinion that OCP should be guaranteed the county hurling final. If the attendance of SBP can be brought to 6,600 then it should be adequate. And as for making it all-ticket, that shouldn't be an issue. Every game in OCP is all ticket in that you have to go to the ticket window and by a ticket.

A full SPB on county final day is a far more appealing prospect than a 33% full OCP. It should at least be trialled either this year or next.
The reason OCP may not be full for county final day, is because clubs from south Offaly won't travel to Tullamore for whatever reason. If the county board decide on Tullamore, then Tullamore it is.

greenairfield
All Star
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm
Club: birr

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by greenairfield » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Birr stand up in CB meeting to look for semis and county final...9 clubs give there opinion and back matches to be in SBP....

CB fix the semis for OCP...


Sound...

User avatar
bracknaghboy
All Star
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by bracknaghboy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Its disheartening that this keeps coming up. But since it has I think its important to note that the stand in OCP can keep all spectators dry if the attendance is up to 6000 (stand can hold more but first few rows offer little shelter) whereas in Birr the majority would have to brave the elements . With the semis and final in October its likely to be wet and generally shitty. This is always particularly welcome to older patrons, disabled etc who need a seat and to stay dry if possible. Feck it lads we need to move from on from this and be proud of the superb facilities in OCP. SBP is underutilised at the moment and it is only right more games are there during group stages but the major games need to be in OCP in my opinion. As for the games themselves....Kinnitty can go out and give it a lash as the pressure is somewhat off and they can't be discounted. The super win the last day will do wonders for moral. The other tie is facinating.....have KK one more kick in them?

private joker
All Star
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by private joker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Birr is a good venue at the moment and the crowd last week was large enough. Long queues to get in though. Only 4 turnstiles were open. Also for elderly people you have a bit of a walk to the stand. In the winter months staying dry watching matches is paramount for spectators. I would love the semi to be in birr because as a neutral person it's handy for me to get to birr. Tullamore is the main pitch in the county. And it's a very good pitch to have but with the weather, it's going to be rough on the pitch in the long run. Where these matches get play does not impact on offaly hurling as proved this year when kerry beat offaly in birr and 6 weeks later offaly easily defeated kerry on tullamore

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by frankthetank » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 pm

7 adult games fixed for OCP before county hurling semi-finals. If a bad turn in the weather comes that pitch will be in some shape for the semi-finals. God only knows what it will be like for the final which will be played on October 23rd!!!

frankthetank
All Star
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by frankthetank » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 pm

greenairfield wrote:Birr stand up in CB meeting to look for semis and county final...9 clubs give there opinion and back matches to be in SBP....

CB fix the semis for OCP...


Sound...
Has any reason been given by the county board for fixing the games in OCP?

greenairfield
All Star
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 pm
Club: birr

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by greenairfield » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:50 pm

No reason given...which is a disgrace.

The county board are a shower of idiots, they are destroying Offaly hurling.

allstar2010
All Star
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by allstar2010 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:04 pm

greenairfield wrote:No reason given...which is a disgrace.

The county board are a shower of idiots, they are destroying Offaly hurling.
And if I'm correct The Hurling plan recommends more club matches for Birr! County board are gone beyond a joke at this stage. Semi's should both be in Birr, end of story and would create a great atmosphere with a great crowd. Very disappointing. I don't agree with some poster here suggesting semi's and final have to played at same venue, it's not as if OCP is going to be new territory for any team that reaches final!

Superstar
Junior B
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:54 pm
Club: Shamrocks

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by Superstar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 pm

frankthetank wrote:7 adult games fixed for OCP before county hurling semi-finals. If a bad turn in the weather comes that pitch will be in some shape for the semi-finals. God only knows what it will be like for the final which will be played on October 23rd!!!
When have you ever seen OCP cut up for county final days despite the high amount of use on the surface? Having played there in October and November in recent years I can say that the pitch has always been perfect, so your point here is totally invalid! Even if the question was put to the clubs about preference of venues I'm sure Rynaghs would vote for OCP as the bigger pitch suits them much more than the much smaller pitch in Birr! OCP is more suited for teams wanting to play an open expansive brand of hurling or proper hurling you could say!

Toxicity234
All Star
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Offaly Club Hurling C'ship 2016

Post by Toxicity234 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Ok Lets start at the top.
Kilcormac Killoughey vs Clareen. Clareen were shocking 13 scores from a forward line that contained two county forward. The only two player from clareen to come out with an credit are Sean Coughlan and Eanna Murphy.
The Clareen players off the ball tactics. Jesus, Clareen are worst than Kilcormac Killoughey before they made the break thought. No problem with hitting hard but two striking to the head and shoulder is very poor.
But in typical Clareen club they were blaming very one else apart from who was a fault. themselves. No responsible taking. Not by the Players and none taking by the club.
Hope to see the two team players they have Coughlan and murphy in with the county next year and the rest of the selfish lasy non team players left at home.
Kilcormac Killoughey were really poor. apart from 15 mins in the 2nd half. in that period they won every battle on the field. Enda and Kevin Gogan were good all game.
The main thing taking out of the game was just how good an manager Danny Owens was to keep K/K at that the level he did for 3 years.
The only manager that could possible get Clareen to win anything worth while is Owens. Isn't funny that is was the Clareen club that single handed ran the campaign to make sure wasn't considered for the Offaly job.
Clareen are now on the way down after have a great bunch of talent. They wasted it. Bad Attitude players been rewards by bring into the county panel as early as possible hasn't helped.

Birr vs Belmont. Birr were excellent. Kirwan is a no bullshit manager and Birr are a club moving forward under him. There game mirror the manager, Fast, Direct and tough. There a real team. Colm Mulrooney has come on something great putting his body on the line to defend is the one sign that a forward is ready for inter county. Rory hanniffy has to be watch. Hayes for me as a defender is a huge player for them.
Belmont will be disappointed, They let Birr get into a 7 point lead and never got the pace of the game. Kelly is a players and a half but young so very young.
Mark egan was excellent again.

Didn't make the sunday games. but report tell me that Rynagh did the work in the 1st half against the wind. Could this be Rynagh's year. G Connolly has to go to midfield if they want to win this year.
Kinnitty had a smach and grap. Well done to then, Shirnoe will not be happy to let that game slip.


The Whole Birr Vs Tullamore thing has been done to dead.
But to me Birr are been silly asking for hurling matches back in Birr. They should be asking for One inter county League Football match to be played in Birr and watch the Football club in the north of the county shit themselves.
And them double the request that some senior football championship matches be played in Birr. See how fast Edenderry, Clara and Rhode put an end to that idea.
If hurling clubs form south offaly have to go north, then Football club from north should have to go south.
Can someone tell us how many time two football club from north of the blueball have been brought south of the Blueball to play a championship match over the last 20 years and again how many time a football league or championship match has been played south of the blueball??
Again Birr are been silly. they don't need to do any of this work. Put in a 10 or 11 request before November for next year and let the football club do the hard work from them.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Post Reply