Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree allstar2010

2016 league objective completed and onwards from here.

The 1st, 7th and 22nd is the focus now. One month of prep and hopefully get a few players like Wynne and Mahon back into the team.

Need to top this group and then its Galway OCP on 5th of June.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Wing back I agree totally what you said, I would note they got professional advice on the rolling of the field and the field staff were told that the roller just compacts soil and they should avoid doing it for drainage reasons.

It was slightly bumpy but to say this had anything to do with us losing is complete madness.

Have we made progress is the big question for me I would say yes we are more organised this year but we still don't have the hurlers to improve us to the next level.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

allstar2010 wrote:I think at this stage most people couldn't care less about the state of the pitch, state of the dressing rooms or whatever. Last Sunday defeat was disappointing but at the end of the day progress is being made. A top 4 finish was the league goal and that was achieved. I feel we are now going into the championship in a much better place than 12mths and the round robin will be no harm at all. A top 2 finish here and another goal is achieved. We have Joe Bergin back playing super stuff, Dooley is hitting form. Kiely and Connolly are great additions to the squad. The result down in Kilkenny is not important (unless of course we win!!). Management and players are going in the right direction they least we can do is show them our support.
Have to agree with allstar too. We are discussing the Birr/Tullamore debate way to much here. It doesn't really matter. It's great that they both get games and hopefully fans will travel to both venues in future. I think to get a performance in Kilkenny would be great but our focus must be on the Round Robin. I also agree with Kaiser Chief in that I think we really need to top that, as I'd sooner play Galway in a q-final cold than a Semi Final after they get a scare against the other team in the round Robin. I just hope the Kerry game was the off day.....and we can hurl with more consistency from game to game in the future.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

kaiserchief wrote:I agree allstar2010

The 1st, 7th and 22nd is the focus now. One month of prep and hopefully get a few players like Wynne and Mahon back into the team.

Yeah, I forgot about Mahon and Wynne coming back in. Jesus lads we have lots to be positive about.

Also, I've the absolute utmost respect for everyone of them lads on the panel. The commitment and willingness to progress in the face of so much negativity is not going unnoticed. They are all a credit to themselves, their families and clubs. Keep up the good work.

I think any keyboard warrior slating any of these players would want to ask themselves what are they doing to revive offaly hurling before the cast their stone.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just a point on Cillian Kiely his a fine young hurler, why don't we play him where he done most his hurling underage for offaly and k/k. give him the fullback jersey or centre back, and give him 2 or 3 years to bed into it. Dermot Shortt done well there last year why the hell did they move him out of there, put him back there last sunday when the damage was done. Stephen Wynne won't solve our forward problems, his a good free taker but won't bring anymore to the forward line than Paddy Murphy or James Mulrooney do. but look all eyes will be on the round robin maybe its a blessing we didn't hammer Kerry on sunday, as we will be ready for them now come the round robin games.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

townman - im not sure but was it not yourself who said Kiely was too young for such a position? This has been my opinion for last 12 months. Doughan is excellent @ 6. I would play Kiely @ 5 8 or 9. Would have more of an influence on the game and he is a massive scoring threat with his long distance ability.

I think Wynne deserves a chance @ 11 where he excelled last year. With Egan and Kinsella beside him.

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

League quarter final on April 3rd. Gives team 3 weeks of training then a week of tapering off before first round. However club SHC 1st round is apparently pencilled in for either the 10th or 17th April (nobody seems quite sure). Will the club games be shelved until July to allow county prepare properly ?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote:

League quarter final on April 3rd. Gives team 3 weeks of training then a week of tapering off before first round. However club SHC 1st round is apparently pencilled in for either the 10th or 17th April (nobody seems quite sure). Will the club games be shelved until July to allow county prepare properly ?
Club Players have been told that Round 1 of the SHC will be played on weekend of April 10 & Round 2 of the SHC on weekend of April 17. The club championship must be allowed to progress as club players have been preparing for the club championship and these rounds of the championship must not be cancelled at this stage. Offaly GAA must be managed by the County Board and not by county team managements. County Board delegates voted for 2 x 6 team groups on the understanding that one or two rounds of the championship would be played in April.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Unless Offaly beat Kilkenny, I'd say you can take it that these games will go ahead - and rightly so. Clubs voted to retain the existing system on the basis that there would be two games in April, so the county board could hardly just pull them now. I don't think there would be any appetite to do so either.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I was of the belief that there was only one round of the SHC pencilled in for April. All the better if there is two. However I'd be quite surprised if the county management allowed a round of SHC to be played 2 weeks before first round robin game considering they wouldn't allow ANY panel members to be made available to their clubs for games up to now.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The latest in a long line of Offaly giving guards of honour to lower ranked teams. Nothing to see here, move along.

The key moments, scoring wise was the period before half-time when Kerry reduced their deficit to four points. It gave the visitors a sniff, and the hosts never saw it coming.

I don’t like using the word ‘shock’, apart from the fact that it wasn’t, but to cause a so-called shock, the lower ranked team needs to keep within a few scores and hit the front as late as possible. Hit the ground running and dominate the opening period (as Kerry did in Thurles two years ago), will only serve to awaken the slumbering higher-ranked team. As will bursting in a few goals. Nor can the lower-ranked team fall too much in arrears as the belief will be stretched beyond breaking point.

I noted here last week that Offaly’s use of statistics and targets would ensure they would not be caught. Well, that didn’t work, and there must be a few duck eggs on the statistician’s sheet. It was alarming how far off their opponents Offaly stood as Kerry came at them in the final quarter. I wonder did the targets become a disincentive as the second-half progressed as it was realised targets were unattainable.

The referee: wasn’t the reason Offaly lost but, Dear Lord, an Offaly man was penalised for hitting the ball during the second half! And another was penalised for a perfect side-on shoulder.

The pitch: the grass was too long. I’m not buying the story that Éamonn Kelly asked the grass be left the way it was.

Fetching: Kerry made a show of Offaly under the dropping ball, increasingly so as the match progressed. O’Leary and Mikey Boyle more than others. And Kerry always has options, they were able to pass their way out of trouble and to open up space, and had the composure to handpass their way backwards in order to do so.

I suppose Offaly are somewhere in between their Wexford and Kerry performances. Just another guard of honour, move along.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Tough shit poth because Eamon Kelly did say it.

Stop trying to look for excuses and putting down SBP, and focus on the real problems.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Last edited by sam88885a on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

sam88885a wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:kilkenny in 2 weeks , i wonder is c mahon soon coming back?
i like to see a team like this
j demsey
c mc donald
d shortt
p rigney
s gardner
d kelliher
p camon
c doughan
c kiely
p murphy
s kinsella
s ryan
c egan
j bergin
s dooley

KAISERCHIEF ur correct c egan is not a centre back buthe did bring a physical presence there when he switched during the laois game and the whole team improved .
d kelliher is an option there as e murphy and s coughlan are not avalable at the moment ,that would free c doughan to express himself in midfield with c kiely . both doughan and kiely are good stick men ,kilkenny dont put their stick men at cenre back .
we could use s ryan and c egan as work horses in attack or as extra cover in defence .

hopefully c mahon will get back before the championship , e murphy is still injured and surprisingly s coughlan was not even call in this year . s wynne e nolan and b leonard are a big loss also i wonder will there be any efford to bring them back on board?
we need more cover , last sunday our sub bench was poor and s cleary j sammon j mulrooney have yet to really step up to intre county standard in my opinion .

imagine if e kelly had everyone fit and avalable
we could have a team like this
J demsey
p rigney
d shortt
e nolan
p camon
s coughlan
s gardner
c kiely
c doughan
s kinsella
c mahon
c egan
s dooley
j bergin
d currams

12 of those lads are on board this year and c mahon is on the way back .
i think things are better than last year but there if injuries clear up and we got a couple of lads back we might have a decent group of players getting high level training , that can only be good .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'm well aware of the real reasons for the accelerating slump in Offaly hurling, and the venue is well down that list.

I don't have a problem with you defending your own club, I'd do the same. Then again, my club has a pitch that drains relatively well.

But the first thing I noticed on Sunday was the length of the grass. It is stretching credulity to suggest that this was at the request of any team management.
greenairfield wrote:Tough shit poth because Eamon Kelly did say it.

Stop trying to look for excuses and putting down SBP, and focus on the real problems.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.