Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1B 2016

Post by sam88885a »

i be happy with that team looks more balanced than the team for the clare game .
i glad to see shortt and kelliher back and if they could perform well there it might allow us to use c doughan in midfield next day .
great to see s kinsela back in the half forward line which is best position in my opinion .

looks like were going out to win with that team whereas the team last week looked like a team set out to keep down the score .
best of luck i feel we will get the job done tommorrow .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good win with 14 men for most of the second half , 1-17 to 0-15

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

big win for us today , show lots of spirit when we went down to 14 men .
poor conditions, very poor first half with us only 3 point up after playing with the wind . well done to all involved .
s gardner had a fine game in defence , i thought d kelliher did well also , looks fit and sharp . d shortt looks very rusty and was beaten 4 or 5 time under the puckouts on the far side when d kelliher went off but hopefully today will bring him on .
s kinsella has a massive second half especially when he went to centre forward .p murphy impressed too .
we are blessed to have s dooley , his free taking and scores from play in poor condition were top drawer .
j bergin was very disappointing and only got stuck in late on .
J gorman ran himself into the ground led the fight in that second half had to go off because he was wrecked .

finally what a prospect young l langton is , could have taken a point but scored a huge goal for us today generally he was bussing around the place .
Now these guys can give limerick a rattle in 2 weeks in ocp.
1400 people only turn up guess its a long way from birr for those 2000 loyal supporters .

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Savage win today and an overall excellent performance, specially with the conditions.

The defence hadn't much over the top to do in the first half but showed excellent guts and determination when against the wind and down a man. Dempsey, McDonald n Wynne where solid while Gardiner gave a man on the match performance. Not a great day for half back line but all 3 are big strong men and competed well. Good to see Kelleher back in the Jersey. looks to have slimmed up.
Ryan was superb and let's just say Joey had a day he would rather forget.
Always said Kinsella is a forward. All 3 yellow helmets played well with Egan showing a captains leadership in the last 20 mins.
Begin n Mullrooney where very poor,while Dooley proved again to be the main pivot in our team .

Sam8885a. Your comment proves your loyalty to your club man but Gorman was not taking off for running himself into the ground but for rather another reason. Don't like been negative but don't see him getting another chance for a long time.

Delighted for Liam Langton. Great build up play and a class finish. Great prospect and a serious boost for Clodaigh Gaels.

Limerick will be a test in two weeks. Hopefully we will have Doughan and Mooney back and get Mahon Currams and Kiely back in.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:Savage win today and an overall excellent performance, specially with the conditions.

The defence hadn't much over the top to do in the first half but showed excellent guts and determination when against the wind and down a man. Dempsey, McDonald n Wynne where solid while Gardiner gave a man on the match performance. Not a great day for half back line but all 3 are big strong men and competed well. Good to see Kelleher back in the Jersey. looks to have slimmed up.
Ryan was superb and let's just say Joey had a day he would rather forget.
Always said Kinsella is a forward. All 3 yellow helmets played well with Egan showing a captains leadership in the last 20 mins.
Begin n Mullrooney where very poor,while Dooley proved again to be the main pivot in our team .

Sam8885a. Your comment proves your loyalty to your club man but Gorman was not taking off for running himself into the ground but for rather another reason. Don't like been negative but don't see him getting another chance for a long time.

Delighted for Liam Langton. Great build up play and a class finish. Great prospect and a serious boost for Clodaigh Gaels.

Limerick will be a test in two weeks. Hopefully we will have Doughan and Mooney back and get Mahon Currams and Kiely back in.

j gorman isnt from my club ,i wish he was .
j gorman has more to offer than j mulrooney but that my opinion .

i think he work hard today and broke ball to his team mates advantage a number of times, he even came behind the half back line once ,used his head didnt go long and lose the ball but gave a hand pass to a free man .

Listen to e kelly on radio and he was full of praise of gorman and he said they took him off because he had run himself to a standstill and he would get his chance another day , so has he kk loyalties ??

i had a chat with a very dissapointed laois man in the car park and he could not understand how laois can be much better than offaly at underage level and yet at senior level in both club and county, offaly have an edge on them .
he said last year seem to be a step forward and today was two steps back .
i think there is really notting between us but we are more organised this year than in a long time where laois are under presure now.
looking forward to a furder improvement the next day against limerick .

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Delighted with the win. We had a lot of lads looking sluggish early on, slow to lift or hit so plenty ball lost to slicker LS lads and when they got level 6 mins into 2nd half we looked in trouble & the Red Card seemed to leave our goose cooked.... Then we saw some spirit. Colin stormed it,,, S Kinsellasuddenly looked star material and big Joe shook himself while all the time Shane Dooley potted the scores with a few brilliant ones late on. Sean Gardiner was my pick of the backs but no more wild swings please !!!. Sean Ryan looks for too much hardship but he won a few vital frees
Good to see a much more slim-line Kelligher while James G is a long way off full fitness but at least he has a few months until serious Championship tine.

The real cherry on the cake was young Liam and his cracking goal.

The downer was the sad lack of support,,,, Where were all the loyal hurling supporters !!!!!!!!!!

Onwards and hopefully upwards.....

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Very important win today, well done to all. At this stage it's looking like the Kerry match in Birr will decide if we make the q/f or relegation final. Pressure is now off a bit going into the next two games and hopefully they can put up a good showing. Delighted to see Dooley step up with a big performance, very important to have him on top of his game. Time for Bergin to step up.

Great to see the lads battle for the win against the wind and down to 14, we scored more against wind!! This win should give management and players a bit of confidence going forward and that's not a bad place to be.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Great job to all involved. Great to get a win.

I realize we were down to 14 early in the second half and playing into the breeze at that point, but did we use a sweeper at any time or was it 15 (then 14) on 15 for the most part?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

sam88885a wrote:i had a chat with a very dissapointed laois man in the car park and he could not understand how laois can be much better than offaly at underage level and yet at senior level in both club and county, offaly have an edge on them .
Great that he has forgotten about last year's championship already!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Great win well done to team and mangement . great to see the fire and spirt back in the offaly jersey down to 14 again a big wind, but all 14 and subs that came on stood up to be counted. Dooley was great, Shane Kinsella ran himself into the ground won the dirty ball all day, Gardiner was brillant as were the back's, and this without Conor Donghan i think we will give Limerick plenty of it too. as for Laois it's only the league but they look to have gone back abit .

Toxicity234
All Star

`

Post by Toxicity234 »

A good win.
The second half full of heart, battling and skill but to brush over the 1st half where Offaly were poor would be amiss.
Our defence was excellent all match. Kelleher, Shortt, Kinsella, Egan, Murphy, Gorman and Camon physically won the game for us.
Laois couldn't handle the the power Offaly had.
Gardiner is just a great hurler. he is beautiful to watch.
The Send off change the game. Offaly began to play a game with huge intensity. even then the skills let is down a bit when lads were getting tired the hard work didn't.
Dooley was super. even defensively the only time he let the laois man clear the with pressure was when he dive into at the goalkeeper in the last 5 mins.

kaiserchief. Gorman stats for the match. 7 turnovers more than any other forward on the field. 16 possession 3 highest. since he a corner forward shoe horned into playing in the half forward and midfield for most of the match. Not bad for someone that won't get on the field again but you keep tell yourself that.
Kaiserchief maybe you don't consider teamwork, Hardwork and determination a good starting point for a player but lets hope the manager does.
and if you think Gorman was poor. you must have no word to describe Bergin 1st half preformace. it was a suprice to me he came out for the second half.

Now back to matters more positive. Bergin at last 10 mins. he was super really got stuck in. he still doesn't use his power for the size of the man but he last 10 mins in the half forward line he was excellent. Murphy was excellent. he has a great brain when the team attacking and he wander into great position to pick off easy points.
Kinsella has to go Centre forward. when he went there today he came into the game. its his best position.
Dooley Super. Langton is going to be a super star but still very young.

A few things to work on. the short puckout. the ball has to go into the chest or hand. if the ball hit the ground or the player has to put up the hurl to control it. we slowing the clearance and allowing the other team to close down the team.
We didn't use the wind in the 1st half.
Mulrooney, Bergin and Dooley all played to close together. we can't the ball into the corner if there no one there to win it.

Two years ago laois came to tullamore and beat us and it kick started a good period for then. lets hope this kick starts a good period for us.

Limerick in two weeks. A game were we have nothing to lose. Laois are in relegation trouble. Kerry look like there going a huge battle, picking up 2 more points before that would be great.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offaly were a bit of a mess for over 40 minutes but it worked out well in the end.

That it did owed much to Seán Ryan’s willingness to put his body on the line and run at Leix. Leix’s tackling technique was poor and Ryan drew foul after foul. Offaly will need to analyse the video showing the ‘before’ and ‘after’ the sending off, to demonstrate the need to keep possession and not be merely hitting it away.

There are worse things in hurling than going down to 14 men. The first is that the referee will do one of two things – he will either even up the numbers at the first opportunity, or he will give the benefit of any doubt to the 14.

I was impressed with Niall Wynne’s defending. He is turning into a gurrier of a corner back.

Pressure off now, until Kerry come calling for a de facto eighth-final in four weeks.

Liam Langton became the first Clodiagh Gaels man to make an NHL appearance. He is also the first hurler from that parish to make a leagu appearance for Offaly since Fintan Kelly made the last of this 3 NHL appearances against Limerick in December 1979. And what a goal!

And I meant to add last week that Pádraic Guinan became the first Drumcullen player to play in the NHL for Offaly since Harry Ryan made a cameo appearance in 2005.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
And I meant to add last week that Pádraic Guinan became the first Drumcullen player to play in the NHL for Offaly since Harry Ryan made a cameo appearance in 2005.
Really? I would have thought Conor Gath played since that.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No, Conor's last appearance was in the 2004 NHL defeat by Leix. See the 'hurler lookup' section elsewhere on this site.
allstar2010 wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: And I meant to add last week that Pádraic Guinan became the first Drumcullen player to play in the NHL for Offaly since Harry Ryan made a cameo appearance in 2005.
Really? I would have thought Conor Gath played since that.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Toxicity234 wrote: kaiserchief. Gorman stats for the match. 7 turnovers more than any other forward on the field. 16 possession 3 highest. since he a corner forward shoe horned into playing in the half forward and midfield for most of the match. Not bad for someone that won't get on the field again but you keep tell yourself that.
Kaiserchief maybe you don't consider teamwork, Hardwork and determination a good starting point for a player but lets hope the manager does.
and if you think Gorman was poor. you must have no word to describe Bergin 1st half preformace. it was a suprice to me he came out for the second half.
Will you stop with the rugby stats!! You mean to tell me Gorman took the ball off Laois lads 7 times??? I dont know if I was at the same game as you but I for one definitely dint notice that!! How many of his possessions where scores?