Walsh Cup 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Walsh Cup 2016

Post by kingscounty »

Toxicity234 wrote:
boomcha wrote:
kingscounty wrote:I hope Kilkenny put out a good strong outfit
They wont, in terms of Seniors: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=249043 .
I really don't care what Kilkenny put out.
more interested to What Offaly Do.
Disappointed to hear Nolan wouldn't be on the panel this year. Its his 1st year out of u21 and to me this is the time lads should be coming into the panel not leaving it. Keily, Gardiner and loads other over the last 10 years coming out of minor straight into the senior panel, Its Madness.
Name the last Kilkenny player to come straight from the Minor without playing u21 into the senior team.
That why I'm happy that Doughlan coming into the panel now just coming out of u21 he has that bit of physically power and still a hunger for the game.

Looking forward to getting a Cup of Coffee in Emma in Birr on Sunday.
This is a big chance for Birr Gaa to lay a Claim to Hurling big games. Which is massively important for Birr Town.
Birr need make this stick. The best way to do that is to have a good efficient run game.
The other thing is that Birr need a good Crowd and a good gate return from sunday.
Lets hope they get it.
I see Padraig had his say this morning as well.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 66219.html
Well I'd be worried if Kilkenny put out their under 21s and we didn't get over the line !!! 5-6 seniors and give us a good test before the league , the game the last day served no purpose at all as It was all to easy .

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Come on lads, do the maths here.

We beat DIT by a cricket-score, DIT beat the Kilkenny Under 21 comfortably, ergo this will be a comfortable win for Offaly.

In reality this will be a senior inter-county team vs an U21 inter-county team.

And before anyone thinks the Kilkenny U21 team is some sort of conveyor belt of outstanding talent year on year, please note how shockingly poor the 2014 and 2015 versions were.

The probable semi-final vs Wexford will be a much better indication of progress. Although trying to gauge progress in the soft conditions of January is foolhardy to say the least. There will be hurlers that show up well in the next 8 weeks that would be absolutely taken to the cleaners from May onwwards. I see posters here already clammering for hurlers to be included that are no way near the required standard for inter-county hurling. These voices will probably get louder over the next couple of months.

Superstar
Junior B
Club: Shamrocks

Post by Superstar »

greenairfield wrote:Can we change the name of this website to north Offaly supporters club or OCP supporters club?it sounds like to me that you guys would only be delighted if 50 people turned up Sunday which is wrong we are all in this together.

I am just delighted for the Birr club who have went in and done alot of work in a small amount of time, people outside of Birr must realise we have a club now with very good people involved so the haters of the old club officals please reconise this.

Yes a few more things have to be done to the grounds but this match is a start. Best of luck of Birr gaa and the Offaly team on Sunday.
A good spill of rain and the game will have to be moved to a decent pitch anyway! :wink:

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

You can expect Kilkenny to target Doughan at centre back tomorrow. They hit him early, hard and if the can get away with it dirty. The 1st 20 mins tomorrow could be a good lesson for Doughan. Hopefully the wing backs and midfield will help him out.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

its a pity two of our finest players Nolan and Cillian Kiely are gone can't blame Sid for this one, :roll:

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Why Kiely gone,? Dropped or walked ?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

glad to see young p rigney in at corner back and glad to see g conneely on the subs ,i think he could be a big player for us in midfield .
To be fair the new managment seem to have got most lads to come on board except for s coughlan and k connolly ,It a pity they seen to have lost e nolan c kiely and d currams in the one week but maybe the door is not closed on these guys yet .

Having read Henry Shefflin book he talks how T J Reid almost quit only for shefflin and other senior players telling him to be patient . .

Maybe these young guys need senior players to speak to them make them feel needed , guys like j demsey s dooley c mahon j bergin .
we have a lot of games this year so we are going to pick up injuries we need to keep our best guys on board .
Walsh cup games dont matter and we will learn notting from today playing kilkenny u 21 s .Its just a work out .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

frankthetank wrote:Come on lads, do the maths here.

We beat DIT by a cricket-score, DIT beat the Kilkenny Under 21 comfortably, ergo this will be a comfortable win for Offaly.

In reality this will be a senior inter-county team vs an U21 inter-county team.

And before anyone thinks the Kilkenny U21 team is some sort of conveyor belt of outstanding talent year on year, please note how shockingly poor the 2014 and 2015 versions were.

The probable semi-final vs Wexford will be a much better indication of progress. Although trying to gauge progress in the soft conditions of January is foolhardy to say the least. There will be hurlers that show up well in the next 8 weeks that would be absolutely taken to the cleaners from May onwwards. I see posters here already clammering for hurlers to be included that are no way near the required standard for inter-county hurling. These voices will probably get louder over the next couple of months.
Lucky to pass the auld Maths test today !! 3-09 to 1-09 far from a cricket score

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

great crowd in birr today , we got the win and as Eamon kelly said we have beat students and a second string kilkenny team now we face 2 thirds of a senior team next .
we could make croke park before the end of janurary ?
Has to help build self belief in the squad .

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Wasnt at the game but got the result they wanted, hopefully build on confidence now for the yellow bellies and later for league.

I got this from a KK gaa website, could someone at the game comment on the pitch
Hard to say anyone played well as it was like playing hurling in a ploughed field, Lester Ryan was probably the best, Mark Kelly okay when he moved to midfield. Huge number of rucks and throw ins. Some bizarre refereeing. Couldn't complain about the result, Offaly were the better team and took their goals well.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Was at the game. Very poor standard of hurling. Tough conditions but some mistakes had nothing to do with the weather. Second goal was excellent. Would have been a big blow if offaly had lost as this was not a good kk team. Pitch was in poor condition. In front of stand was terrible. Good crowd. But there was a better pitch in the county to play this game.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

great atmosphere in birr today unreal crowd for the day that was in it 1956 there paid in also 600 kids on top of that..the pitch was wet but I think it was raining maybe I'm wrong..Offaly won with a young team new management but the standard of hurling is what you would expect for a day like today..great win great to see such a big crowd out to see Offaly hurl in a Walsh cup match..not a single fault with birr today..fortress

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Lads here we go again..ye shower of begrudging f***s...birr was looking good and to all the haters cop on

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote:Lads here we go again..ye shower of begrudging f***s...birr was looking good and to all the haters cop on
It was the right call to put this game in Birr, the attendance was good and it seems to have been well managed all round. The case for more games in SBP was certainly advanced today.

However just like all this "fortress" rubbish that went on during the week, lines like the above clearly don't help. The weather has been very poor, so it hasn't been easy for any ground - however there is a reason Eddie Brennan was asked about the ground and why he answered like he did on RTE Radio. The field was not in great shape, and you won't find a picture like this from any of the other grounds that hosted games this weekend too easily.

Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

That may be the photo that the majority of people will take from today Lone Shark. But for me the below photo is the one that I'll be taking from today. It wasn't pretty and certainly wasn't stylish with slips and breaks in play but a lot was to do with very difficult conditions. Today I saw 20 committed lads playing for Offaly. They all put their hands up to be counted when asked for an effort. A very appreciative crowd roared them on and hopefully the support that was shown today will give these young lads a boost for the coming year and let them know that we're right behind them.
11236146_1097322790307959_5392145209722840984_n.jpg
11236146_1097322790307959_5392145209722840984_n.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 14595 times
Does anyone know the details for next weekend? What time and where in Wexford will it be played or has this been fixed yet?

Also does anyone know are Jack Guiney and Conor McDonald allowed play for Wexford next weekend as they have already played against Offaly for DIT? If we can beat Wexford we play Dublin or Galway in Croker I think which would be another solid game in the lead up to the league.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'