Initial Offaly Hurling Squad

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Initial Offaly Hurling Squad

Post by Wing Back »

With the start of the Walsh Cup only a little over 3 weeks away most county squads are back training no doubt. Has there been any word on a Provisional squad chosen by Eamon Kelly and his Management team for the pre-season competition and the league? I'd be interested to know any lads he might blood and also any lads who have left the set up just so we can see what we are working with.

We see a lot of rumblings from other counties about who's in and who's out....particularly Tipperary and Dublin. Any word on our own?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Re: Initial Offaly Hurling Squad

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

All very quiet on this thread. Is it because nobody knows who is involved, nobody is interested or are we on a 'tell them nothing campaign' before blitzing the country from January onwards?

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

I'm guessing that no one seems to know. I certainly have no idea but would be very interested to get an insight to the provisional squad and how they are progressing.

Hopefully we'll do ourselves justice in the Walsh Cup and get a few half competitive games to see where we are at.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

I know they are all doing gym work the past 4-5 weeks. Also played a few challenge games. I'd imagine Kelly will bring a much different approach to Whelehan. Was involved in a lot of 3rd level hurling before going to Kerry so would be very in touch with what a modern young inter-county hurler would be expecting. I dont think miracles can be demanded but I do expect to see a much more competitive, motivated and organised team in 2016.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote: so would be very in touch with what a modern young inter-county hurler would be expecting.
Plenty of beer and women 8)

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I have heard of some of the names in doing training, I fear the worst as we just don't have the quality anymore,worrying times ahead.

hurleyman
Junior B

Post by hurleyman »

They are playing Westmeath at the minute in mullingar

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

How did that go?
only the best...

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 55462.html

Just after reading this article. Emmet Nolan has left the panel.........This is a huge blow for the Offaly set up. One of the few shining lights from underage over the last number of years.

Kiely seems to be a doubt aswell. Not sure is he referring to anyone else in the article or is it just Nolan. That has took the wind out of my sails going into the game at the weekend.

Anyone else with any info on this?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Kilcormac-Killoughey star Cillian Kiely has not trained since he was taken off after 30 minutes of the DIT game but Kelly said he had "no news on that" in the wake of a five-point defeat to Tipperary on Sunday in Templemore.

Kiely's future is uncertain
Always hard to know exactly what is happening here, but hopefully, he isn't sulking because he got taken off. Wouldn't be the best start to the relationship with the new manager. Of course, there could be a million other reasons why he hasn't been around for the past week, but for the manager to say that he has no news on that, is not looking good.

Definitely disappointing if Nolan and Kiely are not going to be around this year. Every year out is another one where they are falling behind the standard required to get back competitive again.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

There can be hundreds of reasons for not being able to commit to inter county hurling. Work or study to name but two. But, If the reason is, for been taking off in a match, or not prepared to do whats needed for Offaly hurling then it kind of shows up the real reason for recent failures and the complete collapse in standards within Offaly senior hurling. Hard to blame managers then.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

hugely disappointing to see e nolan is gone this year .
young nolan is a guy with great potental but at the end of the day hurling wont pay the bills .

Its a worry i had over the last few years guys coming in too young , playing with 5 or 6 teams and not be allowed any life outside hurling .
it would be hard if you were winning but when ur getting hammered it must be so much harder .
b cody rarely brings in guys untill the have finished u 21 so they are still trying to make it and of course kilkenny keep winning along with the fact that the have huge numbers of guys trying to make the panel .

In offaly hurlers are much more scarce so losing one of our future potental leaders hurts us hugely .
I think c kiely is in waterford in collage and he is probally training down there . i hope