2016 Offaly Players of the Year

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
boomcha

2016 Offaly Players of the Year

Post by boomcha »

Here are my predictions for Player of the Year for the respective grades. I think they are being announced this evening.

Football:
Senior: Sean Doyle
Senior B: Not sure maybe Richie Dunne
Intermediate: Eoin Carroll
Junior: Lee Dempsey
U-21: Eoin Carroll
Minor: Jack Walshe

Actually started the hurling but don't have a clue this year.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Re: 2016 Offaly Players of the Year

Post by High School Musical »

You're correct with the Senior & U-21.

Senior B was Colm Quinn.
Intermediate was PJ daly and minor was Kyle Higgins.

While on the subject, did anyone see the Offaly teams of the year in the local papers recently?
I wont post them due to their grossly inaccurate content.
I know i raised this very same argument last year, so i imagine the feedback (if any) will be roughly the same as before.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Saw this elsewhere

The Full list of Football Recipients are:
Hall of Fame: Johnny Egan (Doon)
Senior: Sean Doyle (Edenderry)
Senior B: Colm Quinn (Ballycumber)
Intermediate: PJ Daly (Cappincur)
Junior: Lee Dempsey (Clonbullogue)
U21: Eoin Carroll (Cappincur & St Vincent’s)
Minor: Kyle Higgins (Ferbane & Ferbane/Belmont)
Referee: David Walsh (Gracefield)
Ladies Football: Roisin Egan (Naomh Chiarán)

The Full list of Hurling Recipients are:

Hall Of Fame: Eugene Coughlan (Seir Kieran)

Senior: David King (Coolderry)

Intermediate: Graham Lynch (Lusmagh)

Junior: Joey Deehan (Clara)

U21: Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac/Killoughey)

Minor: Liam Langton (Clodiagh Gaels & Na Fianna)

Referee: Declan Cooke (Crinkill)

Camogie: Marian Crean (Shinrone)

Delighted that my first Football Hero is getting The Hall Of Fame

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Congrats to all the winners, from a hurling point of view I don't think anyone can have any complaints. All winners well deserved. As I only have a passing interest in football, pardon my ignorance but who is Sean Doyle is he a potential county player?

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Sean Doyle, in my humble opinion, is indeed a potential county player.

He scored 4-36 in championship matches in Edenderry's march to the title this year, and his Player of the Year award is well deserved.

Hopefully he will get his chance this year and take it with both hands.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Absolutely, Sean Doyle deserves the accolade. While it is unusual to have a non county senior win the senior award, Edenderry would have won nothing this year without Doyle. He was the key forward in the county final and in the Leinster game v Rathnew he was on fire kicking 7 or 8 points from play. I assume he is in with the senior training panel at the moment. The next step for him now is to make the senior panel and push on from there.

To me, he is a prime example of the importance of a good solid structure at U21 level where a lot of lads go backwards. He wouldnt have been a star minor or U21 player, though he obviously had shown to have a good bit of talent. Edenderry at U21 level last year made a final and this would have stood to him while the club senior team this year would have had a progressive ethos and would have been fairly professional in their preparation. As a result, he has improved hugely in the last 2 - 3 years while playing at senior club and involvement with Offaly U21s. Too many talented minor lads fall into a vacuum after minor level due to inadequate structures at U21 level (at both county and club level) and never realise their potential.
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Johnny Egan’s pen picture in the Midland Tribune’s supplement prior to 1961’s Leinster final reads “Tullamore go-getter, left corner-back who now plays with Kickhams, is 21 years of age, 12st 3lbs in weight and 5ft 10ins tall. This former Ballyfin College champion has also played with Doon and Tullamore. One of the kingpins of the defence lines he is regarded as one of the best corner men in the country. He holds Leinster Colleges titles for 1957 and 1958 – won with Ballyfin – and in 1957 he played all three grades (minor, junior and senior) for Offaly. He also holds the 1961 Railway Cup title.

Eugene Coughlan - all those dispossessions of feared full-forwards Tony Doran and Christy Heffernan. Something else.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.