Leinster Club Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Leinster Club Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I went to see Bennettsbridge v Wolfe Tones in the All-Ireland Intermediate club semi-final on Saturday. I wasn’t disappointed. A wonderful standard of hurling, despite the wind, rain and heavy going – in fairness St Rynagh’s had their pitch in very good condition, weather considering.

Bennetsbridge’s overhead fetching was superb, winter conditions and all. They contested the rucks ferociously, their layoffs were top quality, both in the execution and the support play (the way they continually ‘looped’ around the ball-carrier in a circular motion is evidently something they have practiced well) that rarely saw a man left isolated. Shamrocks (the Rahan-Mucklagh one) had first hand experience of Bennettsbridge last year and if anything, Bennettsbridge have moved to another level. They’ll easily win the All-Ireland – how they do at Senior level in Kilkenny next year will be very interesting.

Wolfe Tones were a decent side but didn’t, couldn’t match Bennetsbridge’s quality and were on the back foot even before they lost their full-back who departed, apparently carrying an injury, after about 20 minutes. They contributed to a fine game with their strength, athleticism and fitness, traits you’d associate with Clare hurling anyway. That said, playing with seven defenders and five attackers in the first half when they had the wind behind them was crazy, and they were in arrears at half-time.

€10 well spent. If anything though, it showed (again) how far Offaly have fallen behind with the rest of the hurling world having brought hurling to several new planes in the last 15 years or so, and I doubt I’ll see such quality hurling at an Offaly venue for the remainder of this year.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

I also see that Kilkenny will be represented in the Junior final with Glenmore beating Dungourney from Cork by 3-10 to 1-11.

It didn't help the Cork team by having to play with 14 men from 23 minutes into the first half.

Glemmore play Eoghan Rua from Derry in the final with Bennetsbridge playing Abbeyknockmoy in intermediate final

Has an Offaly team ever won Leinster junior or intermediate club in hurling or football ?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Exiled in Connacht wrote:I also see that Kilkenny will be represented in the Junior final with Glenmore beating Dungourney from Cork by 3-10 to 1-11.

It didn't help the Cork team by having to play with 14 men from 23 minutes into the first half.

Glemmore play Eoghan Rua from Derry in the final with Bennetsbridge playing Abbeyknockmoy in intermediate final

Has an Offaly team ever won Leinster junior or intermediate club in hurling or football ?
Ballinamere won the Leinster junior hurling beaten Kilkenny opposition in the final , Killurin won Leinster special , after that Lusmagh,Drumcullen,Edenderry , all beaten in Leinster finals . We seem to do better in the hurling competitions than in the football , football teams struggle to win first round games in Leinster junior/ inter club football .