Intermediate Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Intermediate Final

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Well done to Cappincur on their fantastic win last Saturday. Given the trauma that the whole parish went through over recent weeks, the last 2 weeks have been a small lift to the Cappincur area. For the panel and especially the younger lads who won the back to back u21 titles with Adam Mangan, this has been an emotional 2 weeks and has seen them do a lot of growing up on and off the field.
Tis rare to see the plans working out so well in a final and the sense that the team was not going to be defeated was evident in the way that even lads who were struggling, kept battling and eventually completely over ran the West Offaly men.
Declan Kelly being a Kilclonfert man will have had plenty of turmoil to deal with too over the last fortnight.
He has had a great few early years as a coach, with Croghan, Vincents and Cappincur.
They played some great football with a lot of accurate kick and fist passing, and were well tuned in all over the field, and were more comfortable than the 3 point win suggests.
Pollagh have come back well after a difficult start to the season, and will give this a good rattle next year again. Young Russo is a fantastic young player, and would be a player that Pat Flanagan will have taken note of, anyone know if he would have an interest in county football?

Eoin Carroll came off with a knee injury near the end and hope that all works out ok for him, and best of luck to the club in the Leinster campaign.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Re: Intermediate Final

Post by Archangel »

I would like to add my congratulations to Cappincur on their victory. Delighted for them in the wake of the recent loss of Adam Mangan, although not a Cappincur lad, he's a Vincent's man, which as said above has boosted morale in the area. If they can keep focused they can give the Leinster a right run.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

A huge sense of relief at the final whistle. It's been 4 years now since the junior win which was followed up by a Q/F in '12, S/F in '13 & Q/F in '14 so it was really now or never for this team, especially following the restructure in the championship and it followed up nicely from the Junior C final appearance this year and the Div 3 title. Great achievement for such a small club which is basically a 4 mile stretch of main road!

As alluded to, many people's thoughts extended to both Adam Mangan and the late Mattie Graham at the final whistle.

Next up is a trip to Aughrim on Sunday to face Kilmacanogue, the Wicklow Junior Champions.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Cappincur, following the 4.5 to 2.8 win over Kilmacanogue in Aughrim on Sunday, will now face Curragha from Meath on the 8th November. Home tie for Cappincur and there are talks of a double header with the Coolderry game in OCP.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Lusmagh are also down for a home fixture against Arklow on that Sunday afternoon, plus you'd imagine that there would be more of a neutral interest in a hurling double header than a football/hurling split. I cant' say for sure obviously, but you'd have to imagine that the two hurling games would make up the Sunday double header, and that Cappincur might end up playing the Saturday instead.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A nice sentiment, but Lusmagh are due to host Arklow Rock at their own home ground. I've never been to Cappincur so I don't know if their ground would be capable of hosting a Leinster match. Though they are fairly proximal to Tullamore anyway, which is 'town' for them. But no doubting the capability of Lusmagh's ground to host the fixture either - Thomastown were hosted three years ago, and the pitch will be able for anything except the most severe of weather.

A great occasion last Sunday too. I'd guess about half of the population of the parish made the trip to Trim, including some who wouldn't be regular matchgoers but came for the spin and to lend their support. It was like a home fixture, and made for a great day for the parish. This really is a fantastic competition.
Lone Shark wrote:Lusmagh are also down for a home fixture against Arklow on that Sunday afternoon, plus you'd imagine that there would be more of a neutral interest in a hurling double header than a football/hurling split. I cant' say for sure obviously, but you'd have to imagine that the two hurling games would make up the Sunday double header, and that Cappincur might end up playing the Saturday instead.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.