Senior B Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ballyduff
Junior B

Senior B Football Championship

Post by Ballyduff »

Who will this weekend semi-finals and why.

My penny's worth is that Raheen will beat Durrow, as Durrow have a real difficulty winning semi-finals. There is a lot of talk in Durrow that without Brian Geraghty they have no midfield and that this will cost them. In the other semi-final I think Tubber will prevail and will be the team to beat in the final

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Senior B Football Championship

Post by SearingDrive »

Ballyduff wrote:Who will this weekend semi-finals and why.

My penny's worth is that Raheen will beat Durrow, as Durrow have a real difficulty winning semi-finals. There is a lot of talk in Durrow that without Brian Geraghty they have no midfield and that this will cost them. In the other semi-final I think Tubber will prevail and will be the team to beat in the final
Who won the Durrow v Raheen game, I can't find a result anywhere? Ballycumber beat Tubber yesterday.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Durris by 4 points I think

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Does anyone know why the final is fixed for 17th, know Brosna Gaels are playing Shamrocks in hurling next week but seems a long time away

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

In my opinion something needs to be done with regard K/K and their attitude toward football. A walkover given to Walsh Island in the relegation final. Highly disrespectful towards every other club promoting football. What the likes of Bracknagh, Erin Rovers and co would do to be playing at that grade. This pattern of yo-yoing up and down the ranks is all to familiar. It is a hard one to sort but i would propose a year suspension of the club at adult level for football competitions.

St. Brigids relegated to Senior B for next year this morning also.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Buttons wrote:Does anyone know why the final is fixed for 17th, know Brosna Gaels are playing Shamrocks in hurling next week but seems a long time away
Presumably a combination of the hurling next week and then the minor football final on the 11th. Can't say for certain obviously, but that would be my guess.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

Lone Shark wrote:
Buttons wrote:Does anyone know why the final is fixed for 17th, know Brosna Gaels are playing Shamrocks in hurling next week but seems a long time away
Presumably a combination of the hurling next week and then the minor football final on the 11th. Can't say for certain obviously, but that would be my guess.
Does this mean that the intermediate final is moved too as Erin Rovers will surely have players involved in the intermediate final on the 10th and the Minor on the 11th :?:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Pat Mustard wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
Does this mean that the intermediate final is moved too as Erin Rovers will surely have players involved in the intermediate final on the 10th and the Minor on the 11th :?:
You'd have to imagine it would be moved all right. I'm not sure of the make up of the B/T minor team in terms of the clubs, but there's surely one or two Rovers lads in there at least. Actually, at the risk of taking the thread off topic, here's the team that played the semi-final - can anyone put clubs on the lads involved, just to get a feel for which teams have the most improvement in store over the next few years?

Gary Colgan
Seán Creevy
Luke Mangan
Adrian Hynes
Ryan Poland
Ross Young
Jack Quinn
Tom Corcoran
John Corcoran
Seanie Farrell
Conor Lynam
Kevin Kelly
Packie Farrell
Joe Lowry
Nathan Poland
Subs: Ciaran Brazil, Ciaran Kinahan

Ballycumber Gael
Junior C

Post by Ballycumber Gael »

Gary Colgan= Tubber
Seán Creevy =Ballycumber
Luke Mangan =Ballycumber
Adrian Hynes =Doon
Ryan Poland= Erin Rovers
Ross Young= Tubber
Jack Quinn =Ballycumber
Tom Corcoran =Ballycumber
John Corcoran =Ballycumber
Seanie Farrell =Tubber
Conor Lynam =Erin Rovers
Kevin Kelly =Ballycumber
Packie Farrell =Tubber
Joe Lowry =Ballycumber
Nathan Poland =Erin Rovers
Subs: Ciaran Brazil=Doon, Ciaran Kinahan=Tubber

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Appreciate that BG - interesting reading. Bodes well for Ballycumber in the future, certainly not so for Doon.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Lone Shark wrote:Appreciate that BG - interesting reading. Bodes well for Ballycumber in the future, certainly not so for Doon.
Just a query on the IFC replay today, Bracknagh v Cappincur,. Any news on the result?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

The game was cancelled

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Two good games pencilled in for Saturday in OCP. Cappincur and Erin Rovers in the Inter. Final at 1.30pm and Durrow and Ballycumber in the Senior B Final at 3pm. Both games very hard to call.

Great strides by Durrow this year under Benny O'Brien. They were knocked out at semi of Intermediate last year so huge improvement this year.

I was going through the Roll of Honour on the Offaly GAA page regarding the Intermediate titles. Erin Rovers are looking to join St. Brigids at the top of the pile with 5 titles. Their last coming in 2003. Cappincur are looking for their second title and first since 1987.

I would be very eager to see a Roll of Honour for Senior B titles if anybody has any records. This championship was binned in the 90's at some stage. Anybody have further details?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The Senior 'B' football was played for five years between 1987 and 1991 inclusive. The finals were contested as follows:-

1987 Daingean beat St John's (Ballinamere-Durrow, I believe)
1988 St Rynagh's beat St John's
1989 Tubber beat Cappincur
1990 Doon beat Cappincur
1991 Cappincur beat Erin Rovers
NewEra wrote:I would be very eager to see a Roll of Honour for Senior B titles if anybody has any records. This championship was binned in the 90's at some stage. Anybody have further details?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Left this at half time, and could not believe how Durrow hadn't this in the bag! Durrow were dominant throughout and butchered a few goalscoring chances. Whilst up the other end Ballycumber were depending on their No12 (Fergal ???) along with the veteran and minor (Quinn & Lowry) inside to keep them in the game.

I heard Ballycumber kicked 2-01 in a short space of time, so Durrow will be kicking themselves. Suppose the focus will move back to the hurling next year?

Well done to Ballycumber, they should hold their own, and signs are good with good few of last weeks minors to come through and BT are in the U16 final next weekend.