New Minor & Senior Hurling Management

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Up The Faithful
Junior A

New Minor & Senior Hurling Management

Post by Up The Faithful »

As we all know Joe Errity and Brian Whelehan have stepped down from their roles as minor and senior manager respectively. Personally I think a whole review has to be done on all coaching panels from underage to senior level. Structures need to be put in place that players can come through the whole system from the age of 6-12 with blitzs in schools and at weekends and have well educated coaches who are giving all resources including equipment/facilities and knowledge from courses. When players get to the under 14 level we want to bringing in strength and conditioning into the programme, I don't mean squating 100kgs but movement can be worked on and the fundamentals. We need to have the best of coaches at every age group. And like in Kerry where you have Jack O'Connor with the minors they need to take that age group right up to senior level as they know these players the best. We dont need just one person at every age group, 2/3 coaches are needed. Personally I feel we need to start from the bottom up steps have being made in the last 2 years but it needs to be done faster. We also cant neglect our senior hurling team cause the last thing that anybody in the county wants is our county playing in the christy ring. So we need a fresh head in with the senior team somebody who will go look at club championship games and who will get the best out of all our top hurlers. Anyone have any ideas on who we need to be involved...????? I think our u21 team seemed to be very organised this year and performed the best out of our hurling teams.

Toxicity234
All Star

Re: New Minor & Senior Hurling Management

Post by Toxicity234 »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 08477.html

Former Limerick goalkeeper Joe Quaid has emerged as a front-runner for the vacant Offaly hurling management position
“Common sense is not so common.”

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Ah lads, no disrespect to Joe Quaid but being their U16 manager and Camoige manager would hardly be looked upon as being experienced at the top level. Sure this is another lad with little or no inter-county senior management experience. Like Baker, Joe Dooley and greater extent Whelehan, we are always the ones for novice managers. Would much rather them go for someone like John Meyler, Tommy Dunne, Francis Forde or Eamon Kelly if going for someone. Let them have some bit of experience. If Offaly camoige management was suggested, people would say it isnt experienced enough. What is the difference with Joe Quaid. At least they would know the Offaly hurling scene!
jimbob

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Re : Franny Forde

More astute observers of the game such as Plain of the Herbs question his game plan at Rynaghs but I think his willingness to try something innovative and stick with it for more than one season demonstrates an ability to think longer than the short term. The Ryanaghs team seem to buy into his management philosophy.

Forde has a track record of management at school and club senior level in the county and was brought into Joe Dooleys management set up (which I think most contributors will now accept in hindsight was the best of the last few years). He combines the management and coaching which I don’t believe Danny Owens does.

He has a lack of top level experience but I struggle to see what newcomer such as Joe Quaid, John Meyler or Tommy Dunne can bring to the table as unfamiliar as they are with the local scene. The other candidate that jumps out is Ken Hogan but you would question whether he would want the job given that he had a birds eye view over the messing of the last few years. For me yes to someone with some perspective from outside the county but no to any of the David Pleat style journeymen managers.

The chasm between OY and the top teams is enormous so I think the CB should focus on candidates who can demonstrate a commitment to bettering OY hurling from the bottom up as well as the top down.

And if anyone wants to suggest certain Sunday Game analysts ….

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Joe Quaid would be a surprise, especially given that it is apparently happening so quickly after the vacancy opened. Normally there is a bit of lead in time where names gets bandied about, the various PR machines whir into life, rumour mills crank up and dogs on the street bark out the updates.

Would he know enough about Offaly's problems on the field from the few Sunday Game snippets the average Limerick person might see, or he is more closely connected? I'd be sceptical if this story is true.

Regardless, JQ's track record might not be such an issue if he has the right philosophy on the game and the know how to move Offaly forward. We need to picking a manager who hits the right criteria for rebuilding the Offaly team rather than picking a 'name' who might have a bit of profile. I know about as much about the man's coaching and management than anyone else who read this morning's paper.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Joe Quaid would be a surprise, especially given that it is apparently happening so quickly after the vacancy opened. Normally there is a bit of lead in time where names gets bandied about, the various PR machines whir into life, rumour mills crank up and dogs on the street bark out the updates.

Would he know enough about Offaly's problems on the field from the few Sunday Game snippets the average Limerick person might see, or he is more closely connected? I'd be sceptical if this story is true.

Regardless, JQ's track record might not be such an issue if he has the right philosophy on the game and the know how to move Offaly forward. We need to picking a manager who hits the right criteria for rebuilding the Offaly team rather than picking a 'name' who might have a bit of profile. I know about as much about the man's coaching and management than anyone else who read this morning's paper.
I don't have a dog, and do not live on a street, so I keep my ear to the ground for updates, it can be awkward!
Seriously, why can't OCB make a decision and end all this conjecture, and rumour

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Colm Keys, second only to Breheny for a lack of imagination, wrote
has built up an extensive inter-county management portfolio in recent years
then couldn’t be bothered to fill the reader in on JQ’s “extensive inter-county management portfolio”, whatever is in that portfolio.

The Offaly and Limerick hurling styles are entirely at odds, and generally coaches do not do well when entering the other county. But . . . Cregan! I hear you cry. Different, as Cregan’s hurling philosophy was (and presumably remains) more Offaly than his native Limerick.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

With this Joe Quaid rumour it seems we've really become the home for the first time manager. Four years of Joe Dooley, two years of Ollie Baker and two years of Brian Whelehan. If we appoint Joe Quaid which I would presume would be for a minimum of two years that would be a full decade of novice managers. Now maybe I'm being a bit naïve but we're still in the top ten hurling counties and I'm sure we could attract someone other than a guy who's track record is Limerick's Under 16 team and the Limerick intermediate camogie team.

The most interesting name I've heard linked is Eamon Kelly (how exactly would the CB appoint Joe Quaid over him if both are interested?). He has made huge progress with Kerry and some guys who he got involved were Brendan Cummins as goalkeeper coach and Anthony Daly was involved in some capacity (I'm not sure what it was). However his record of previously managing a senior intercounty hurling team probably rules him out of the running!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Reverse the truck for a minute. Has the committee to find the manager even been set up yet? The first round of speculation will always see a few outsiders see what way the wind is blowing.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Fair point POTH but there's no harm us commenting on the speculation.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don't know about questioning the game plan, rather I questioned the ability of the Rynagh's team to implement it. And until we see the plan work on match day, I don't think we'll really know what the plan is about. Having a plan is one thing, having the players with the capability to implement it is another. Come to think of it, having the players who can keep their heads and implement the plan under immense pressure is vital.

Off topic a bit, but while 2015 will probably be known as the year of the sweeper, I'd remember it as the year so many teams made a complete bags of playing with a sweeper, whether they didn't understand the role, or did it all wrong once the pressure came on.

BAck on topic. No doubting Franny's track record, and arguably Offaly's best performance in the last decade was the 2011 match in Páirc Uí Chaoimh by which stage of the campaign FF seemed to have been given more of a role in coaching.
keyboardwarrior wrote:Re : Franny Forde

More astute observers of the game such as Plain of the Herbs question his game plan at Rynaghs but I think his willingness to try something innovative and stick with it for more than one season demonstrates an ability to think longer than the short term. The Ryanaghs team seem to buy into his management philosophy.

Forde has a track record of management at school and club senior level in the county and was brought into Joe Dooleys management set up (which I think most contributors will now accept in hindsight was the best of the last few years). He combines the management and coaching which I don’t believe Danny Owens does.

He has a lack of top level experience but I struggle to see what newcomer such as Joe Quaid, John Meyler or Tommy Dunne can bring to the table as unfamiliar as they are with the local scene. The other candidate that jumps out is Ken Hogan but you would question whether he would want the job given that he had a birds eye view over the messing of the last few years. For me yes to someone with some perspective from outside the county but no to any of the David Pleat style journeymen managers.

The chasm between OY and the top teams is enormous so I think the CB should focus on candidates who can demonstrate a commitment to bettering OY hurling from the bottom up as well as the top down.

And if anyone wants to suggest certain Sunday Game analysts ….

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

No harm at all, lad. Shur if we didn;t have the speculation we'd have nothing.
frankthetank wrote:Fair point POTH but there's no harm us commenting on the speculation.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

With regards St Rynagh's game plan I think a lot of managers come into a team and implement a pre determined game plan on a team when the thing really to do is assess your teams strengths and weaknesses and create a game plan to suit this. I don't think St Rynagh's current style came about as a result of Francis Forde assessing his players. I believe this is the way he wants his team ( and it doesn't matter which team he is over they would play this way) to play. Actually I view it as a weakness of a manager that all the teams a guy takes charge of play the same way. For example I believe that if Francis Forde was over Kilcormac/Killoughey they would play the same way as Rynaghs do now. Now maybe I am completely misreading the guy but that's my judgement on him. His credentials as a coach are without doubt though.

And POTH just to touch on your sweeper point I feel Waterford and through the hurling intelligence of Tadhg De Burca are the only team to master the 2015 version of the sweeper. Laois made a good fist of it but in my opinion just aren't a good enough team to implement and use the system against a decent team.

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Reverse the truck for a minute. Has the committee to find the manager even been set up yet? The first round of speculation will always see a few outsiders see what way the wind is blowing.
I hope this is only a rumour , absolutely no disrespect to the man he was a super goalie and by the sounds of things a great hurling man but I cannot see why he would even be considered for the role, according to Midlands sport he managed his club to a semi final in the limerick championship in 2007 &won the all Ireland Camogie championship with Limerick last year ,hardly merit to be considered manager for your own county never mind taken control of another county's affairs.

Maybe I am missing something and there is a link between himself and Offaly but as a disgruntled Offaly supporter I wouldn't be at all impressed if he was appointed,this year was tough , next year we are in for a hail Mary of a battle to try and stay up in 1B and get out of the group to qualify for the championship , the last thing we need is a novice on the line who is trying his best but isn't sure why or how we are getting bet . :evil:

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

frankthetank wrote:With regards St Rynagh's game plan I think a lot of managers come into a team and implement a pre determined game plan on a team when the thing really to do is assess your teams strengths and weaknesses and create a game plan to suit this. I don't think St Rynagh's current style came about as a result of Francis Forde assessing his players. I believe this is the way he wants his team ( and it doesn't matter which team he is over they would play this way) to play. Actually I view it as a weakness of a manager that all the teams a guy takes charge of play the same way. For example I believe that if Francis Forde was over Kilcormac/Killoughey they would play the same way as Rynaghs do now. Now maybe I am completely misreading the guy but that's my judgement on him. His credentials as a coach are without doubt though.

And POTH just to touch on your sweeper point I feel Waterford and through the hurling intelligence of Tadhg De Burca are the only team to master the 2015 version of the sweeper. Laois made a good fist of it but in my opinion just aren't a good enough team to implement and use the system against a decent team.
This is true of all teams.
Assess your players abilities and develop a gameplan. A classic example would be Newtownshandrum in the noughties. A lot of very athletic players who could run all day and had good stickwork - so they implemented a running game. Once the likes of the O'Connor twins aged they didn't have the players to properly implement it and they have faded back into obscurity in north Cork.
Managers who are dogmatic in their approach to playing 'tactics' and try to get players to change their style of play are usually limited in their ability to manage.

Unless you are the likes of Brian Cody where you can afford to drop forwards who are unable to win their own high ball and have the physical attributes needed for the power hurling approach he decided Kilkenny would follow.
only the best...