New Minor & Senior Hurling Management

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: New Minor & Senior Hurling Management

Post by Toxicity234 »

SearingDrive wrote: Good to see a manager in place before the hurling championships conclude. It seems like a good appointment, well done to CB.
Yeah. your spot on. He is an excellent manager and yeah the County Board had done excellent work in getting him and the appointment done so early.
Quiad, Owens and Kelly were the 3 interviewed for the job. I didn't hear if Joe Dooley got interviewed.

It will make the Championship spice now as lad will know that the manager in watch from the sidelines.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

On the face of it, this seems like a very decent appointment. He's been a successful club manager, got county experience with U21 and Intermediate Tipperary teams, went to Kerry and helped bring about huge strides forward down there, all while coming from a background of being a decent player and someone who played a bit of football, so understands the dual code pressure.

As Toxicity pointed out too, there's a lot to be said for getting this done early, with all twelve senior clubs still due to play serious competitive ties. He may not get to them all, but I'm certainly of the view that what a lad does in a tense, knockout environment for his club is far more instructive than what he might do on a mucky field in a trial match on a cold November or December morning.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Someone from the CB will help him pick his panel???? Ah now, tell me where and when this took place, surely not since the 60's?

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Best of luck to Eamonn and his management team over the coming years.

Time for all to put their shoulder to the wheel...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Can people stop giving credit to the CB for this appointment. These are the very people who put 3 managers in a row with no experince over our seniors, and have Offaly hurling in the worst state it has ever been.
A good appointment and thank god Sheedy and co were picking the manager and not Boland and co.
Best of luck to Eamon he seems to have a good profile and knows what he is doing.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

greenairfield wrote:Can people stop giving credit to the CB for this appointment. These are the very people who put 3 managers in a row with no experince over our seniors, and have Offaly hurling in the worst state it has ever been.
A good appointment and thank god Sheedy and co were picking the manager and not Boland and co.
Best of luck to Eamon he seems to have a good profile and knows what he is doing.
i disagree, while they may have made mistakes in the past they at least now realize that their track record is less than stellar in this area and brought in someone who has their ear closer to the ground than they do (CB) on who might be the best man for the job and they have done it early to boot so as to once again avoid the mistake of leaving it too late in the year to appoint a manager and that to me shows that the County board are beginning to learn from past mistakes

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Truth as i see it wrote:
greenairfield wrote:Can people stop giving credit to the CB for this appointment. These are the very people who put 3 managers in a row with no experince over our seniors, and have Offaly hurling in the worst state it has ever been.
i disagree, while they may have made mistakes in the past they at least now realize that their track record is less than stellar in this area and brought in someone who has their ear closer to the ground than they do (CB) on who might be the best man for the job and they have done it early to boot so as to once again avoid the mistake of leaving it too late in the year to appoint a manager and that to me shows that the County board are beginning to learn from past mistakes
Agree.

Good luck to the new manager.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I was a little alarmed to hear the county chairman telling Will on Radio 3 that a portion of the special hurling development funding that Offaly will receive from headquarters next year (45,000 I believe given to 5 weaker counties) will be used to keep Liam Sheedy on in some sort of advisory role and to head up a 'monitoring committee'. He said "Liam was delighted to take up the role"........and why wouldn't he? I thought that money was to be used for coaching, underage development, equipment etc. not paying some fella to take up a vague and nondescript role with the senior team? I'm open to correction.

As for Eamonn Kellys appointment. Heres another guy with no top tier experience that we've been landed with. Chrity Ring standard is at best like average senior club level.
The county board are admitting he is not up to task by paying Liam Sheedy to be his adviser/mentor and there will be a special monitoring committee to keep an eye on him as well. All very complicated and odd in my opinion. Its hard to have faith in a guy that needs so many crutches to lean on. We are potentially a little over 3 hours away from Christy Ring hurling in 2017 and this appointment hasn't filled me with the same optimism as all other posters on here. Lets hope my concerns are unfounded and it all works out and I certainly hope it does.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

bracknaghboy wrote:I was a little alarmed to hear the county chairman telling Will on Radio 3 that a portion of the special hurling development funding that Offaly will receive from headquarters next year (45,000 I believe given to 5 weaker counties) will be used to keep Liam Sheedy on in some sort of advisory role and to head up a 'monitoring committee'. He said "Liam was delighted to take up the role"........and why wouldn't he? I thought that money was to be used for coaching, underage development, equipment etc. not paying some fella to take up a vague and nondescript role with the senior team? I'm open to correction.

As for Eamonn Kellys appointment. Heres another guy with no top tier experience that we've been landed with. Chrity Ring standard is at best like average senior club level.
The county board are admitting he is not up to task by paying Liam Sheedy to be his adviser/mentor and there will be a special monitoring committee to keep an eye on him as well. All very complicated and odd in my opinion. Its hard to have faith in a guy that needs so many crutches to lean on. We are potentially a little over 3 hours away from Christy Ring hurling in 2017 and this appointment hasn't filled me with the same optimism as all other posters on here. Lets hope my concerns are unfounded and it all works out and I certainly hope it does.
I too have concerns about this. While on the face of it it is great to have Liam Sheedy involved with Offaly hurling it is strange that his role appears to be mentor/adviser to the manager. And that he is getting paid for it! What does that say about the County Board's faith in Eamonn Kelly as manager? Like Bracknaghboy, I feel that development funds could be spent in a more effective manner on underage development etc.

I am a bit surprised that this has been approved by Croke Park. So you can't pay a manager (officially anyway) but you can pay someone to advise the manager! Is this unprecedented?

If, as it appears, Sheedy is getting paid does he have a job description? Will he, for example, have any involvement in training sessions

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

first_touch wrote:
bracknaghboy wrote:I was a little alarmed to hear the county chairman telling Will on Radio 3 that a portion of the special hurling development funding that Offaly will receive from headquarters next year (45,000 I believe given to 5 weaker counties) will be used to keep Liam Sheedy on in some sort of advisory role and to head up a 'monitoring committee'. He said "Liam was delighted to take up the role"........and why wouldn't he? I thought that money was to be used for coaching, underage development, equipment etc. not paying some fella to take up a vague and nondescript role with the senior team? I'm open to correction.

I too have concerns about this. While on the face of it it is great to have Liam Sheedy involved with Offaly hurling it is strange that his role appears to be mentor/adviser to the manager. And that he is getting paid for it! What does that say about the County Board's faith in Eamonn Kelly as manager? Like Bracknaghboy, I feel that development funds could be spent in a more effective manner on underage development etc.

I am a bit surprised that this has been approved by Croke Park. So you can't pay a manager (officially anyway) but you can pay someone to advise the manager! Is this unprecedented?

If, as it appears, Sheedy is getting paid does he have a job description? Will he, for example, have any involvement in training sessions?
Is there any update on Liam Sheedy's input into the Offaly hurling team since his appointment as mentor to Eamonn Kelly? How many training sessions has he attended? Has he attended any Offaly games? What has his role as mentor involved? Is it correct that a portion of the €40,000 funding assistance from Croke Park for hurling development is being spent on this mentoring arrangement?

If so, this has been at the expense of underage development.