Offaly Hurling where do we go from here?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Up The Faithful
Junior A

Offaly Hurling where do we go from here?

Post by Up The Faithful »

well this year we lost to Laois and Clare and haven't won a championship match. Performances have been way below what is expected.....Management? Senior and Underage? Who should be on the panel and who should leave? What will it take to get Offaly hurling back to its glory days?

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Re: Offaly Hurling where do we go from here?

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

1. Accept where we are now without qualification i.e. at rock bottom
2. Forget about what we have won in the past (and for me this is difficult)
3. Forget the blame game i.e. It's the County Boards fault, its Brian Whelehans fault, it's the current players fault etc etc
4. Accept that ALL our resources must go into games development at underage level
5. Accept that we will not be competitive EVER again at the highest level at senior inter county level unless we address point 4
6. Accept that there isn't one player in the county over the age of say 15 who has been coached properly to play at the highest level
7. Accept that we can write off the next 7/10 years at senior inter county level and therefore forget about throwing money at bringing in a big name manager from outside the county. Not that anyone would touch us with a barge pole now anyway
8. Hope that Croke Park accept that money must be dispersed to weaker counties to promote hurling. We need to hold out the begging bowl because money is needed and lots of it . However are there sufficiently qualified people in the county to spend this money wisely if we do receive it ?
9. Look to form one Offaly team to play in Leinster colleges competitions

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

[quote="Exiled in Connacht"]1. Accept where we are now without qualification i.e. at rock bottom
2. Forget about what we have won in the past (and for me this is difficult)
3. Forget the blame game i.e. It's the County Boards fault, its Brian Whelehans fault, it's the current players fault etc etc
4. Accept that ALL our resources must go into games development at underage level
5. Accept that we will not be competitive EVER again at the highest level at senior inter county level unless we address point 4
6. Accept that there isn't one player in the county over the age of say 15 who has been coached properly to play at the highest level
7. Accept that we can write off the next 7/10 years at senior inter county level and therefore forget about throwing money at bringing in a big name manager from outside the county. Not that anyone would touch us with a barge pole now anyway
8. Hope that Croke Park accept that money must be dispersed to weaker counties to promote hurling. We need to hold out the begging bowl because money is needed and lots of it . However are there sufficiently qualified people in the county to spend this money wisely if we do receive it ?
9. Look to form one Offaly team to play in Leinster colleges competitions[/quote

Exiled in Connacht, I agree with every point you make. Except for Point 1 - if we fail to implement your other proposals we will freefall further towards rock bottom. Also while I agree there is no point in indulging in a blame game it is the County Board's responsibility to put a plan in place to resurrect Offaly hurling.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Unfortunately First Touch you are right when you say that while we might be at rock bottom we can drop even further if we don't act now. I feared the Laois game this year and the qualifier group next year won't be a cake walk either.

Of course you are also correct about the responsibility of the county board when it comes to the decline of the game in the county.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Offaly County Board needs to make an immediate statement that Brian Whelehan & his selectors are no longer required. Every effort must be made in order to appoint the best possible team-management for the for Offaly Senior Hurling Team. We are now at a real danger of losing our Division 1B status and failing to qualify for The All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship in 2016. Many of our players will no longer make themselves available to hurl for Offaly if there is another inadequate team-management appointed. Players are expected to give up their time in order to play at senior inter county level. The professional standards of dedication required from players will only be given by most players when they are happy that a professional team-management structure is in place. The Training Facility at Kilcormac is no longer the priority, having players willing to train for Offaly is now the major priority.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i was at the game last evening.a lovely fine evening for hurling.i thought we did reasonable for long spells of the game and i wasnt without hope at ht then clare clicked into gear and it was gone in 3/4 min.we got about 6/7 good hurlers but a few were hopelessy outclassed....i wouldnt be as pessimistic as some on here.if we could stay in div1b and consolidate for a few years things might get slightly better.and id give danny owens a 3/4 year term in charge he was successful with kk no reason he wouldnt do it with the county.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

At least the hurlers have three championship games next year in the round robin. Unless the structure is changed again.

All the points above are valid.
If a start was made by the end of the summer to address some issues then we might see progress on something

You really need one person to be entrusted with the reform or take it on, or nothing will ever be done
only the best...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Does anyone know what is been done on a consistent basis with offaly development squads? Here is where offaly problems and solutions lie.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Exiled in Connacht wrote:Unfortunately First Touch you are right when you say that while we might be at rock bottom we can drop even further if we don't act now. I feared the Laois game this year and the qualifier group next year won't be a cake walk either.

Of course you are also correct about the responsibility of the county board when it comes to the decline of the game in the county.
Yes, rock bottom is a place that gets redefined with time. Things can always get worse, they can also get better, but not if we stand still.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Rock bottom? We've hit a few of them already.

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Good time to address this point. The Clare v Offaly 1990s rivalry thrashed out in the media all of last week last week gave the game on Saturday an added slow car crash feel.

The big Clare teams of the 90s … Wolf Tomes, Sixmilebridge, Clarecastle, Doora Barefield. The repreentaion on the Clare team today and since is proof that the game spread far and wide as a result of the success of the 90s.

By contrast … and with exceptions aside …. the powers that be in OY Gaa did absolutely nothing to shift the Blueball border and capitalise on the good times.

Here’s the teams with clubs from the42.ie website (love the way the lay out the teams as they lined out on the field and not 1-15. 2 Sixmilebridge and 1 Wolfe Tones in the 22.

If there is no willingness to develop hurling in the urban centres of the county and to embrace the best practice of others outside the county (Paudie Butler, Dublin Country Board, Clare Country Board, Waterford Country Board) in doing so we will be a perpetual Christy Ring contenders and nothing more. It’s time to face that reality and only then can the culture (to use Che Cheddars expression) and mind-set change.

Well done to players and management for the effort they put in this year as all years. Any blame directed at them is intemperate and lazy.

http://www.the42.ie/clare-offally-hurli ... 0-Jul2015/

Clare

1. Patrick Kelly (Inagh-Kilnamona)
4. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
3. Cian Dillon (Crusheen)
2. David McInerney (Tulla)
5. Brendan Bugler (Whitegate)
8. Patrick O’Connor (Tubber)
7. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
6. Conor Ryan (Cratloe)
11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
10. John Conlon (Clonlara)
9. Colin Ryan (Newmarket-on-Fergus)
12. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
15. Conor McGrath (Cratloe)
14. Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)
22. Darach Honan (Clonlara)

Subs
Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones) for O’Donnell (52)
David Reidy (Éire Óg) for Conlon (52)
Paul Flanagan (Ballyea) for Dillon (59)
Domhnall O’Donovan (Clonlara) for Browne (59)
Colm Galvin (Clonlara) for Honan (62)

Offaly
1. James Dempsey (Kinnity)
3. Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh’s)
2. Niall Wynne (St Rynagh’s)
4. David King (Coolderry)
5. Éanna Murphy (Seir Kieran)
6. Colin Egan (Belmont)
18. Gary Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
8. Emmet Nolan (Birr)
11. Dan Currams (Kilcormac/Killoughley)
12. Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)
19. Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
14. Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran)
13. Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
10. James Mulrooney (Seir Kieran)
15. Brian Carroll (Coolderry)

Subs
Sean Cleary (Shinrone) for Nolan (HT)
Sean Ryan (Birr) for Conneely (41)
Pat Camon (St Rynagh’s) for Shortt (51)
Stephen Wynne (St Rynagh’s) for Currams (57)
Dermot Mooney (Seir Kieran) for Murphy (60)

Barring a few … more of the same for this year’s minor crop …

1. William Malone, Coolderry
2. Cathal O’Brien, Shamrocks
3. Ben Conneely, St Rynagh’s
4. Paddy Delaney, Kinnitty
5. Shaun Lowry, Kilcormac/Killoughey
6. Jack Fogarty, Durrow
7. Eimhin Kelly, Lusmagh
8. Michael Gilligan, Seir Kieran
9. Conor Molloy, Coolderry
10. Ciaran Cleary, Shinrone
11. JP Cleary, Shinrone
12. Oisin Kelly, Belmont
13. John Murray, Drumcullen
14. Eoghan Cahill (Captain), Birr
15. Liam Langton, Na Fianna - See more at:

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

I think Offaly should just grow a pair of balls and regrade permanently to the Christy Ring.The will, desire or organisational power isn't there within the county. We are a hopeless little county really. Ugly but true.

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

To follow on from the thread title … now that we – officially - cannot hope for better than perpetual also-ran status year-on-year, I’d be interested to canvass the views of fellow county folk on who we should be supporting at the business end of the championship.

I sometimes feel like a kid in primary school having to pick a British soccer team to support.

In no particular order of the contenders:-

KK –I find their fans are generally as sporting and gracious in victory as well as defeat – a cut above. Players emerging onto the airways after hibernating on planet Cody are surprising likable, well-rounded and all round grand lads. This has dispelled the stereotype of robotic and clinical androids fed on scraps so they devour on match day. I can’t buy into the ‘sure they are in Leinster’ as a reason to back them. Their unique supply circumstances (no football, no soccer and only junior rugby competing) makes you feel like you have a 'back a winner' mentality backing them – like those dipshits who picked Liverpool in the 80s or Man U in the 90s or Blackburn Rovers around the mid 90s.

Tipp – I think you need a family connection to back these lot. Like where do they get their almost regal notions of grandeur? They went from 1972 to 1986 without a Munster title FFS and their record at the top table vs KK in recent years should breed more modesty. This to me is their Achilles heal over and over again. On field performance fails to meet the expectations of the backslapping brigade of it. Like they think Cuchuallian himself wore the blue and gold. You’d face permanent excommunication in Coolderry or Skenagh for crossing over to this dark side. Reoccupy Moneygall and Dunkerrin!

Limerick – in my view the ones we should root for. They are like an ex-girlfriend you dumped back in the day who is now being taken round town in the pillion seat of her boy racers wheels with all her mates long married off. We cut the heart out of them in 94 in a match we should never have won and I think they are still not right from it. For good measure we even give them a few kicks in the rocks in the league every now and then to keep them down. I feel bad. We should make amends. When they hit a vein of form and throw caution to the wind they are great to watch.

Clare – Anyone else sick of the sight and sound of Davy Fitz? Like who these days listens to the Timmy Ryan philosophy of roarin and shoutin. If my manager was carrying on like that on the side-line and afterwards I’d be livid. He’s like a cult leader with his pure-living minnions marching in tow. Love the county, the terrain, the music and the people - hate the manager!

Waterford – little not to like about the present set up. A charismatic and cerebral manager, brilliant blend of youth and experience the latter with titans of men in Moran and Walsh who anyone would love to see come out the right side in September. Right you get a few edgey Waterford townies loaded up on large bottles on the terraces but we welcome all types in the GAA! The accent – could listen to it all day.

Galway – Can’t speak for the Banagher / Lusmagh / Shannonbridge brigade but you’d have to wish them well. Love the way they have regularly put it up to KK – remember the 4 goal salvo in Thurles in ‘86 like it was yesterday – Anto Cunningham getting in for one of them. You feel they have to get their defence sorted out against the bigger teams where they can look unsure and naive. You can’t get away from thinking that the different Galway clubmen don’t fully get along on the field – city of the tribes?! Their fans are complete bandwagon and back-a-winner merchants so a possible good match for us!

Cork – sure what did they ever do to us? Right 84 – sure we bet ourselves that day. Two great games at HQ at the tail end of the 90s. Your average townie Corkonian wouldn’t be the most welcoming of sorts for the would-be bandwagoners but JBM is a gent. If you are looking for your really big day out you probably won’t get it from them.

Wexford – Didn’t want to include these lot. Such a crowd to rub it in when they are on the up. Painful. That said you’d have to admire the way they are rebuilding and rebranding themselves given the advances of football and Wexford Youths FC. Hurling people in that country seem to have really clubbed together – something we need to learn from.

Laois – I’m listing them here to piss my fellow keyboard warrior – the infantile Townman - right off. A shining beacon of hope for us. Sometime I hope that they continue to stick it to us at all levels until our CB get it through their heads what needs to happen. I mean, for Paudie Butler to explicitly exclude OY in his assessment of nationwide county set ups is telling in and of itself.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Great stuff Keyboard Warrior! I'm afraid Offaly are the only team for me - after that I'd back the underdogs - just to have some new faces on the scene!

We're definitely one of the Weaker Counties now. More's the pity!

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

KK –I find their fans are generally as sporting and gracious in victory as well as defeat – a cut above. Players emerging onto the airways after hibernating on planet Cody are surprising likable, well-rounded and all round grand lads. This has dispelled the stereotype of robotic and clinical androids fed on scraps so they devour on match day. I can’t buy into the ‘sure they are in Leinster’ as a reason to back them. Their unique supply circumstances (no football, no soccer and only junior rugby competing) makes you feel like you have a 'back a winner' mentality backing them – like those dipshits who picked Liverpool in the 80s or Man U in the 90s or Blackburn Rovers around the mid 90s.

Make no mistake about it KK roar laughing at Offaly hurling. Twofaced in person of course and full of faux condescending praise. Behind the mask utter contemptous of Offaly. Its delusional to think otherwise.