Offaly v Kildare, Senior football qualifier, 4th July

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Re: Offaly v Kildare, Senior football qualifier, 4th July

Post by substandard »

Best of luck to the team, panel and management tomorrow.

To another day out!!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to the boys , it would be great to get a win against the flour bags , give it everything , come on the faithful

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Best of luck to all involved.

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bare biffo
Junior B

Post by bare biffo »

Best of good luck to all today.

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

Best of luck today! Come on the faithful.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

I'll tell ye what, I actually woke up excited this morning.

And once I got that out of my system, the optimism about today's match started to build.
Honestly, haven't felt this is a few years now, possibly since around 2011.
Let's hope this is a good omen.

I think the odds are fair, but attractive. I'm throwing a snakey euro or 2 at Offaly.

bare biffo
Junior B

Post by bare biffo »

Surely this year has been one of progress under Pat Flanagan. Hope everyone involved builds on this for next year. Proof today that Offaly have nothing to be afraid of in D3 next league.
Commiserations to everyone involved for todays loss but a huge thanks for a very positive year and restoring hope to my old weary football heart.
U a b F h a i l e A b u

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Decent enough performance. I missed the first 15 minutes of the match because I thought the game was starting at 3 o'clock (it was down as throwing in at 3 in the paper this morning).

The loss of Niall Smith and the introduction of Tommy Moolick by Kildare seemed to me to be a big turning point.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

DAF wrote:Decent enough performance. I missed the first 15 minutes of the match because I thought the game was starting at 3 o'clock (it was down as throwing in at 3 in the paper this morning).

The loss of Niall Smith and the introduction of Tommy Moolick by Kildare seemed to me to be a big turning point.
Disappointed but proud Offaly man. Good combative display, perhaps Kildare won the game in the first half, before half time. They scored 6 points to 1for Offaly in the 10 minutes before the break.
Maybe experience was decisive in the end. I thought Offaly played too deep in first half, not enough support to player in possession at times.
I think we are moving in the right direction.

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

[/quote]
Disappointed but proud Offaly man. Good combative display, perhaps Kildare won the game in the first half, before half time. They scored 6 points to 1for Offaly in the 10 minutes before the break.
Maybe experience was decisive in the end. I thought Offaly played too deep in first half, not enough support to player in possession at times.
I think we are moving in the right direction.[/quote] well said those players and manager can hold there heads high they done there best and never gave up you can't ask for more than that

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

I agree the black card for the Kildare midfielder actually improved the team and he had an important part in their play. Offaly lost the way in midfield especially in second half were i would say in first half they broke even, what i was annoyed at was Kildare actually had more numbers around the breaking ball so they would have been favourites. Was it Niall smiths shoulder that went after giving the kildare player the shoulder, did he also get a kick when he was on ground.

Dissapointing loss considering they were down a point with 10 to go, some of the refs decisions were strange and a couple of soft frees given and others i thought were a free for one player was given against.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Buttons wrote:I agree the black card for the Kildare midfielder actually improved the team and he had an important part in their play. Offaly lost the way in midfield especially in second half were i would say in first half they broke even, what i was annoyed at was Kildare actually had more numbers around the breaking ball so they would have been favourites. Was it Niall smiths shoulder that went after giving the kildare player the shoulder, did he also get a kick when he was on ground.

Dissapointing loss considering they were down a point with 10 to go, some of the refs decisions were strange and a couple of soft frees given and others i thought were a free for one player was given against.
I think Smith injured his ankle

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Few pints here now , but thanks to pat and the lads for restoring pride in the jersey, pain in me face here in edenderry looking at white jerseys . We are moving nicely , keep the faith lads we will get there

Slugger
Junior C

Post by Slugger »

Encouraging display from the lads today.

The match definitely turned about 10 mins from half time. Smith's injury meant that we were basically playing with 13 men for the last 10 mins of the half. I thought he should have been subbed straight away as it didn't seem like an injury he was going to run off. I'm a big admirer of Niall McNamee but he was barely nuisance value today. Mulhall had a very good first half but his very bad miss at 6 points to 4 was followed immediately by a Kildare point. A probable 7-4 lead became 6-5 and then they rattled off another 5 points unanswered.

A lot of positives to take from today. Some good individual performances notably Graham Guilfoyle and Anton Sullivan.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Good effort and performance by Offaly today. We need to keep building from here. A lot to work on such as better support play, movement off the ball by the forwards and cutting out silly turnovers. Not to mention the winning of primary possession and breaking ball around the middle. But there has been great improvement in team play, a good spirit and workrate and fitness levels have increased.

Thanks to Pat and management team and players for their efforts this year and keep it going into 2016.