Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby Bord na Mona man » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am

Away to Klare in Innis. Predictions?
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby azoffaly » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:06 pm

In contrast to the Kildare draw, I think this is the worst draw we could have got. It's going to be very tough to go down there and beat a team that has huge talent, and is pissed off after a year and a bit of poor championship results. They have forwards that can put up a serious score, and their movement and fitness will cause us problems I believe. That said, if Offaly stick in there, and get the scores early on, you might see Davy have a paroxysm of anger, and the Clare players are probably borderline rebelling against that sort of stuff now. I know the Clare public are. Make a game of it early and fire into every ball. Take the right options in possession, don't make silly suicidal mistakes, and take your chances. It's the classic template for an upset, but it will have to be followed if we are to have a chance. I believe in the hurling ability of our lads, I just don't know that we've been tactically astute, or aggressive enough in recent years. If we are naive or passive below in Ennis, we could get a right trimming. If we are right, we might shock the world. Hon the Faithful
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
azoffaly
All Star
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:02 pm
Location: Tipperary

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby biffinbanner » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:09 pm

hard to see anything bar a double digit points defeat..anything under 10 would be a good result. i hope im wrong but clare are a good few levels above offaly at the moment..
biffinbanner
Senior
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby Toxicity234 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 pm

biffinbanner wrote:hard to see anything bar a double digit points defeat..anything under 10 would be a good result. i hope im wrong but clare are a good few levels above offaly at the moment..

anything under 30 would be a good result with the management we have at the moment.

Losing Chris McDonnell and Stephen Egan last week as well. Jesus lads its a fucking disaster.
“Common sense is not so common.”
Toxicity234
All Star
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby Sharp Eye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:47 pm

Offaly must use this game as a new team building exercise. Brian Cody started 4 players from the Kilkenny under 21 team that narrowly defeated Offaly in Tullamore two years ago. I think Brian Whelehan only started 3 of the Offaly team that played that day in the game against Laois. One must ask how can Cody introduce 4 young players to an All-Ireland winning team and we only introduced 3 from that game, despite Offaly just defeating Antrim in the past 3 years. The only benefit this game will be to Offaly is if Brian Whelehan starts with a young team and gives as many young players as possible the experience of inter county hurling.
Sharp Eye
All Star
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby SearingDrive » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Sharp Eye wrote:Offaly must use this game as a new team building exercise. Brian Cody started 4 players from the Kilkenny under 21 team that narrowly defeated Offaly in Tullamore two years ago. I think Brian Whelehan only started 3 of the Offaly team that played that day in the game against Laois. One must ask how can Cody introduce 4 young players to an All-Ireland winning team and we only introduced 3 from that game, despite Offaly just defeating Antrim in the past 3 years. The only benefit this game will be to Offaly is if Brian Whelehan starts with a young team and gives as many young players as possible the experience of inter county hurling.

Terrible draw for Offaly. Clare will be delighted, can't see anything other than a win for the Banner.
SearingDrive
All Star
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby uibhfhaili » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Seeing how good damn awful Laois are, this has the potential to be the biggest beating in the history of the hurling championship.
uibhfhaili
County player
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby fifitrixiebelle » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:13 pm

jeez but its depressin readin ye lads on here. Ye need a bita positivity.

Ye know what townman wud say?? De Banner lads cudnt bate Limerick - & the Biffos always bate Limerick...simples really.

Its townmans logic ye need to take on board... :D
fifitrixiebelle
All Star
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby Bord na Mona man » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Is there a kick in Offaly, or will the players be content to slink out of the championship and forget about 2015?
It's an away fixture where only a man and a dog from Offaly will travel to it and the Sunday papers will give it a postage stamp sized write up at best.
Therefore the desire for Offaly to try and save face is that bit diminished I fear.

It doesn't help that this is the perfect game for Klare to put their season back on track. They can mow Offaly down and get the winning feeling back. Remember the circus in Nowlan Park when Kilkenny brought Tommy Walsh off the bench for a testimonial and the crowd egging him on to score a point. Offaly could again be the mugs if Klare decide the closing minutes to re-introduce Colm Galvin and let him feast on carrion.

Yet, if Offaly were that bit stronger, it could the other way. A discontented Klare team might also be harbouring thoughts of pushing their manager under a bus and may not have the hunger to see them through in a tight game.
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby llkj » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Clare not Klare
Laois not Leix
Tullamore not Tellamore
Proper spelling of placename not attempt at funny, but in reality extremely annoying, spelling of placename.
llkj
All Star
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 am

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby Bord na Mona man » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:42 pm

llkj wrote:Clare not Klare
Laois not Leix
Tullamore not Tellamore
Proper spelling of placename not attempt at funny, but in reality extremely annoying, spelling of placename.

Autocorrect has me driven kracked!
User avatar
Bord na Mona man
All Star
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby townman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:38 pm

could be a 20 point plus win, when you seen what Galway beat laois bye, even Antrim who are in the Christy Ring cup next year beat laois. you can be sure Davy and Clare will want to lay a marker down this weekend.
User avatar
townman
All Star
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby townman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Toxicity234 wrote:
biffinbanner wrote:hard to see anything bar a double digit points defeat..anything under 10 would be a good result. i hope im wrong but clare are a good few levels above offaly at the moment..

anything under 30 would be a good result with the management we have at the moment.

Losing Chris McDonnell and Stephen Egan last week as well. Jesus lads its a fucking disaster.


well if Chris and Stephen couldn't get on that offaly backline or aren't showing up in training or matches they aren't going to be missed.
User avatar
townman
All Star
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby Exiled in Connacht » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:55 pm

I was just looking at the Clare GAA thread on boards.ie and all they are talking about is a Crossbar Challenge the Clare team did and a skit involving their trainer Tommy Hegarty cycling around the pitch which has been posted online and more nonsense about Davy hiring a PR firm to issue statements.

If this was a week before a Munster final all they would be talking about would be the match and the opposition and who was going to win.

We've sunk so low now that it's taken as a given that next Saturday is a non-contest.

It's terribly sad how things have gone. It must break the hearts of all genuine Offaly followers.

Sorry to be so maudling !

Oh for 1998 again.
Exiled in Connacht
County player
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Re: Offaly vs Clare - 2015 Senior Hurling Qualifier R1

Postby SearingDrive » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Bord na Mona man wrote:
llkj wrote:Clare not Klare
Laois not Leix
Tullamore not Tellamore
Proper spelling of placename not attempt at funny, but in reality extremely annoying, spelling of placename.

Autocorrect has me driven kracked!

Are you dyslexic, ther's help there you know.
SearingDrive
All Star
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Next

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 15 guests