All-Ireland Football Qualifiers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Exiled in Connacht
County player

All-Ireland Football Qualifiers

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

After our loss to Longford and their mauling yesterday by the Dubs nobody is probably looking forward to the qualifiers but here goes -

Our first (and hopefully not our last ) game will be on Saturday 20th June. We are in a group with Carlow, London, Cavan, Longford, Waterford, Antrim and losers of Kildare/Laois. It's an open draw. I'm not sure if we will be kept apart from Longford. Don't think we could stomach playing them again so soon. The other half of the draw is tougher with Tyrone and losers of Derry/Down and Armagh/Donegal.

Our record in the qualifiers is shocking as we know.

Will Pat Flanagan have any hope of rallying the players or will they just go through the motions ? Will there many cry off the panel ?

Kevin
All Star

Re: All-Ireland Football Qualifiers

Post by Kevin »

Exiled in Connacht wrote:After our loss to Longford and their mauling yesterday by the Dubs nobody is probably looking forward to the qualifiers but here goes -

Our first (and hopefully not our last ) game will be on Saturday 20th June. We are in a group with Carlow, London, Cavan, Longford, Waterford, Antrim and losers of Kildare/Laois. It's an open draw. I'm not sure if we will be kept apart from Longford. Don't think we could stomach playing them again so soon. The other half of the draw is tougher with Tyrone and losers of Derry/Down and Armagh/Donegal.

Our record in the qualifiers is shocking as we know.

Will Pat Flanagan have any hope of rallying the players or will they just go through the motions ? Will there many cry off the panel ?
If we are really trying to build something hopefully it won't take much to get ready for the next tilt. If the disappointment of losing one game tests our resolve so severely I'd fear for the future. I'd have to believe Pat would be disappointed if we don't go out and give the next opponent fits and hopefully the one after that as well.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Our record in the qualifiers is fairly horrific alright, but according to Townman and Exiled in Connaught we might as well put away the footballs now!

"Sur Jaysus why would anyone want to have a cut at playing the Dubs in croke park?"

I would hazard that chaps like ye played no serious level of sport. Offaly wanted to beat Longford first, and if the next game was against Dublin, then bring it on would have been their attitude. Would we have done better than Longford? Who knows, but they would have gotten a championship win under their belts and this would be invaluable.

I hope that we can get a win in the qualifiers, purely for the players more so than anyone else. They played some great football for spells and in order to build on the promotion in the league, then we need to see a win.

Typical attitude from the Townman though.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

I don't believe we "should put away the footballs" now. However I also genuinely believe that a game against Dublin in Croke Park at this moment in time would not be of any benefit to us.

I want us to return to the great days where our hurlers and footballers took on and beat the best but I certainly am not going to stick my head in the sand and dispense with reality.

I wish Pat Flanagan (and Brian Whelehan for that matter) and their players nothing but the best.

bare biffo
Junior B

Post by bare biffo »

Im going to get Pedantic Pat about this.
Have a look at the Official GAA website fixtures.
Offaly have been knocked out of the Leinster Championship.
On June 20th they play their first game in the All Ireland championship.
The world has changed but no one has noticed.
Provincial championships are stand alone and only determine when you enter the All Ireland Championship.
This should be pushed by the GAA marketing people.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Away to Waterford. Let's get back on the horse!

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Does anybody know how Pot A and Pot B are split?

Nice draw for us. Looking forward to it already. Word has it Michael Brazil back from his travels - it will be interesting to see if he will play a part.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

bare biffo wrote:Im going to get Pedantic Pat about this.
Have a look at the Official GAA website fixtures.
Offaly have been knocked out of the Leinster Championship.
On June 20th they play their first game in the All Ireland championship.
The world has changed but no one has noticed.
Provincial championships are stand alone and only determine when you enter the All Ireland Championship.
This should be pushed by the GAA marketing people.
Not trying to be smart bare biffo, but this is how it has always been since the qualifiers came in. They are two distinct competitions, and your entry into the All Ireland depends on your progress in the provincials. Officially they are always treated as two competitions.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

By the way, I was in Thurles for the Tipp-Waterford game last Sunday week, and they (Waterford) were absolutely dire. If Offaly play at pace, like they are being set up to do, then Waterford will not live with them. They played with 13 defenders against Tipp, and Tipp's pace and support play just tore through the defensive structure with abandon. Despite the numbers, there was also a lot of space in front of the full forwards to allow the kick pass when it was on. Basically Tipp did whatever they liked, and Waterford struggled badly.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

azoffaly wrote:By the way, I was in Thurles for the Tipp-Waterford game last Sunday week, and they (Waterford) were absolutely dire. If Offaly play at pace, like they are being set up to do, then Waterford will not live with them. They played with 13 defenders against Tipp, and Tipp's pace and support play just tore through the defensive structure with abandon. Despite the numbers, there was also a lot of space in front of the full forwards to allow the kick pass when it was on. Basically Tipp did whatever they liked, and Waterford struggled badly.
It's a good draw for Offaly, winnable game. Have to go there and put Waterford away early on.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Any venue, time or dates for this game?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Muck Savage wrote:Any venue, time or dates for this game?
Saturday June 20th
Waterford v Offaly, Fraher Field, Dungarvan, 2.0

Pack your swim trunks and make it a holiday!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Our record in the qualifiers is fairly horrific alright, but according to Townman and Exiled in Connaught we might as well put away the footballs now!

"Sur Jaysus why would anyone want to have a cut at playing the Dubs in croke park?"

I would hazard that chaps like ye played no serious level of sport. Offaly wanted to beat Longford first, and if the next game was against Dublin, then bring it on would have been their attitude. Would we have done better than Longford? Who knows, but they would have gotten a championship win under their belts and this would be invaluable.

I hope that we can get a win in the qualifiers, purely for the players more so than anyone else. They played some great football for spells and in order to build on the promotion in the league, then we need to see a win.

Typical attitude from the Townman though.
i didn't say put away the football's, i said that i wouldn't have liked to see that offaly team get the beating that longford got, and lets not be silly we wouldn't have been any better than longford, they have beaten us the last two years in the championship when it matters, the league final yes good to win it in croker but championship matters and that was the one to win.

maybe in two years time we could have a good strong side to have a cut off the Dubs but not this year. the waterford game is one we can win if they want it bad enough, both were in division 4 last season but you will find waterford won't lie down again offaly either, lets remember Wicklow last year, maybe if we won a few games would be great for this panel, but theres a massive massive gap to the top teams and we won't learn anything taking 27 point beating's.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

We wont learn anything from 27pt beatings? Jayz some statement.

Is your point that we were better off losing to Longford, so as not to get beaten by Dublin????

Lets wait to win a first round when we can face Carlow in the second round, and maybe get a dream draw of Wicklow in the Semi final!!!

Get a grip lad and think about what you are posting! Embarassing is what it is.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No, his point is that Offaly were better off not being beaten by Dublin so he wouldn't face abuse from others as payback for the abuse he dished out for previous Offaly (and Kilkenny) wins.
ah lethimoutwithit wrote:We wont learn anything from 27pt beatings? Jayz some statement.

Is your point that we were better off losing to Longford, so as not to get beaten by Dublin????

Lets wait to win a first round when we can face Carlow in the second round, and maybe get a dream draw of Wicklow in the Semi final!!!

Get a grip lad and think about what you are posting! Embarassing is what it is.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.