Laois v Offaly – Leinster Hurling Quarter Final 7th June

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Laois v Offaly – Leinster Hurling Quarter Final 7th Ju

Post by bracknaghboy »

It sounds like a sorry state of affairs in Edenderry for hurling.
Insider is there any of getting a team going again, if not then thats a huge area of the county and not a stick being swung. If the players are there is there a chance one of the other clubs might consider putting a team? Rhode wouldn't get involved but would Ballyfore or Daingean consider fielding a side as they had teams a few years ago? Or perhaps Edenderry just need to get finger out and sort this out.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Don't you know the Co. final will be held in 4 month's time, October, so it will be Christmas at the earliest before a potential new manager is appointed, if Brian Whelehan steps down. The problems go deeper than changing the manager, we need to improve at minor and underage level, before we can become a force again. The great team of the 80's and90's came from 3 AllIreland minor champions.
We just don't have enough quality adult players at present to challenge for provincial and national titles, in the Laois game, there were no leaders prepared to stand up to the opposition when the going got tough.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

old yellar wrote:I m going to make a suggestion for a manager -
Tom mullally. Trained Mlr to All ireland club intermediate title, then to the senior final. Utterly professional and thorough. worked with both shelmaliers and clara in kk as a coach while managing mlr - both won county championships. Worked with kk intermediates. Proven everywhere he goes and great with the players and brings a v good backroom team into all set ups. Currently with glenmore - his own club. Relatively young man too and would stay for the long haul.
just a thought..
Sounds a good suggestion, old yellar. I don't know anything about the man, but he sounds like exactly what we need. Someone with a track record of improving teams and getting results. Plus someone who is good with players, vital.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

SearingDrive wrote:Don't you know the Co. final will be held in 4 month's time, October, so it will be Christmas at the earliest before a potential new manager is appointed, if Brian Whelehan steps down. The problems go deeper than changing the manager, we need to improve at minor and underage level, before we can become a force again. The great team of the 80's and90's came from 3 AllIreland minor champions.
We just don't have enough quality adult players at present to challenge for provincial and national titles, in the Laois game, there were no leaders prepared to stand up to the opposition when the going got tough.
The offaly team of the eighties didnt win minor all irelands but probally achieved more that the team of the 90S when u consider where those guys started from .
Yes we need to get back competing at underage in schools and at county level .
We certainly have better hurlers at senior level than those used against Laois .
That team was built around Nice hurlers lads like B carroll J Bergin S dooley and D currams but top intercounty hurling is and has always been a mans game even that 90s team had B kelly at full forward ahead of M Duignan because he brought more steel that Duignan .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Up next Clare
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

I get the feeling that thing could hit a new low for us against clare .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

greenairfield wrote: Tox you get so offended when somebody has a negative point on kk or Owens for that matter. Forde has coached at the top level as has Hogan, Owens hasnt. Look I am not saying he isnt the right man for the job but I do think who ever our next manager is it shouldnt be a gamble I think Owens would be a gamble. Club hurling is noting like county. We need someone who has a good profile and has been there and done it and try get the best hurlers in the county hurling again.

Yeah, Not Offended Just frustrated. "Far away hills are always greener." "The only normal family is the one's you don't know".
Forde is a excellent Coach without doubt. He reminds me of Mike McNamara when he was apppointed Offaly manager sure he was the brains behind Ger Loughanine. That fell flat on it face very fast.
Anyway there is a HUGE flaw in your thinking. If your going to appoint a great coach them why not go to Kilkenny and appoint Martin Forghty. He a far more experienced coach and was involved in Offaly development last year.

Forde long term Offaly manager but not till he has got the experience for managing a club for a few years.
Learn for our mistake or keep make them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Owen's has done enough to have the respect to be name as a possible Offaly manager. Defending him for people who dismiss his achievement as a manager cause he from Offaly is something i will never stop doing.
If you want to see a example of this just Look at the amount of Offaly people that don't know that Andy Gallagher manager Offaly to there 1st all Ireland title. Not rate cause he for Offaly.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theinsider
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Post by theinsider »

bracknaghboy wrote:It sounds like a sorry state of affairs in Edenderry for hurling.
Insider is there any of getting a team going again, if not then thats a huge area of the county and not a stick being swung. If the players are there is there a chance one of the other clubs might consider putting a team? Rhode wouldn't get involved but would Ballyfore or Daingean consider fielding a side as they had teams a few years ago? Or perhaps Edenderry just need to get finger out and sort this out.
To be honest, its Edenderry needing to get the finger out. But nearly half the 'Edenderry'' team are from other clubs so IMO there should be a new team formed. Edenderry are probably too proud to do that but its the best thing to do in he Area for hurling. Ballyfore can barely field a football team so hurling would be out of the question and Daingean are focusing on the Football for now.
Maybe myself and other people who love hurling can come together and start something up in the area in time for next year.

Sad to think that once you go past Ballingar heading north there isn't a hurling team in sight.

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

Lone Shark wrote:
Pat Mustard wrote:i feel the cb aren't doing enough underage i haven't seen a foundation hurling coaching course been ran in god knows when also theres notthing been done to promote hurling in "football areas" like wise football in "hurling areas"

I don't know off hand how many courses have been run, but I know that they are largely driven by demand. If any club (or group of clubs in a certain area) came together to say that they have twenty people who want to do foundation or award one coaching, I'd be pretty confident that John Leahy would be keen to facilitate this. However it's not John Leahy's job to go around to clubs and try rounding up people - that's the club's job to do so.

I know that the ideal in a club would be that you would have at least seven or eight Award One coaches in your ranks at the helm of teams, and that all mentors would have done the foundation as a bare minimum, with a view to following up with Award One. If that's not happening, then the club needs to i agree that every club needs to look after there own patch as regard coaching but I also believe if you run the course they will come in other countries such as Clare, Dublin and Laois these courses are but on and the potential coaches come all we seem to have done is the few nights in mountbolus

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Pat Mustard wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
Pat Mustard wrote:i feel the cb aren't doing enough underage i haven't seen a foundation hurling coaching course been ran in god knows when also theres notthing been done to promote hurling in "football areas" like wise football in "hurling areas"

I don't know off hand how many courses have been run, but I know that they are largely driven by demand. If any club (or group of clubs in a certain area) came together to say that they have twenty people who want to do foundation or award one coaching, I'd be pretty confident that John Leahy would be keen to facilitate this. However it's not John Leahy's job to go around to clubs and try rounding up people - that's the club's job to do so.

I know that the ideal in a club would be that you would have at least seven or eight Award One coaches in your ranks at the helm of teams, and that all mentors would have done the foundation as a bare minimum, with a view to following up with Award One. If that's not happening, then the club needs to i agree that every club needs to look after there own patch as regard coaching but I also believe if you run the course they will come in other countries such as Clare, Dublin and Laois these courses are but on and the potential coaches come all we seem to have done is the few nights in mountbolus
I was at John training a u14 team last week and most of it was excellent but two thing that stood out to be over the train was there was very little fun in the training and it was a 5 mins of hand passing, 5 mins of left side 5 mins of right side and its was almost repeat. They was no ground hurling done and no drill that Foraghy talk about last year been work.
John does great work but I'm not sure he has as taking on board the massage that Foraghy was trying to install in Offaly last year.
But them again no one has seen the development plan that that committee has drawn up.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Pat Mustard wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:

However it's not John Leahy's job to go around to clubs and try rounding up people - that's the club's job to do so.
A pro-active policy that will surely reap dividends for Offaly hurling. :roll:

If people won't get off their arses to improve their clubs then other people must light a fire underneath them.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Toxicity234 wrote:
I was at John training a u14 team last week and most of it was excellent but two thing that stood out to be over the train was there was very little fun in the training and it was a 5 mins of hand passing, 5 mins of left side 5 mins of right side and its was almost repeat. They was no ground hurling done and no drill that Foraghy talk about last year been work.
John does great work but I'm not sure he has as taking on board the massage that Foraghy was trying to install in Offaly last year.
But them again no one has seen the development plan that that committee has drawn up.
...why in god's name would they be doing ground hurling? :?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Turenne wrote:
Toxicity234 wrote:
The only reason i can think of is to flick the ball to a teammate who is is space or to one who is looking for the break. Not sure how much time or effort is put into this type of thing or exactly how it would be done in training.

Tox, you are not talking about rock smashing and weedwacking right?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Kevin wrote:
Turenne wrote:
Toxicity234 wrote:
The only reason i can think of is to flick the ball to a teammate who is is space or to one who is looking for the break. Not sure how much time or effort is put into this type of thing or exactly how it would be done in training.
KK most definitely do that in training. They have that particular skill down to a tee.

Ground hurling on the other hand I haven't seen for years, bar lads trying to break someone's ankle.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offaly people love it. Oul fellas in the crowd love it. Women in the crowd love it. It doesn't involve running. It doesn't involve thinking your way around the field. It turns over possession, It passes responsibility to someone else, It doesn't involve soloing, or handpassing, or any of those modern fads.

Now you know why Offaly hurling is the dead duck it is.
Turenne wrote:...why in god's name would they be doing ground hurling? :?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.