Offaly vs Longford, Leinster SFC, Saturday 16/05/2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Longford, Leinster SFC, Saturday 16/05/2015

Post by The Biff »

Lord Oh Lord, what a frustrating and heart-wrenching game we follow. I think I felt such a mixture of emotions on Saturday night, it's hard to put some of it into words. Baffled. Disappointed. Annoyed. Frustrated. Puzzled.

How did we lose this game from a position of such strength?

I know my own limitations; I'm not the best game-analyst around. But when I looked at the score-board when Longford had pulled it back to 0-12 to 0-10, I said to myself "How can they be just 2 points behind now? They're not playing that well and we haven't turned completely bad, have we?"

I know we managed to play well after Smith's Black Card, but that decision was still criminal and we really missed him when Longford later got control of Midfield. It was the Linesman who made that call, but how the same man ignored all the GBH being inflicted on Anton right in front of all of us in the Stand ... I'll never know. I reckon Anton was deliberately targetted because there were so many different players hitting him. It had to be a plan, which is weird because he is hardly our best forward, he doesn't score much, he hasn't been the most effective for quite some time. It can only have been to provoke him in the hope of getting him sent off again. If that is in fact true (and nobody will ever admit it) that's a sad indictment of modern Gaelic Football. Mickey Quinn got off very lightly and he got to exert his influence late in the game, a chance denied of Niall Smith.

It wasn't Niall Mc's best game, but he did contribute his usual couple of beauties. He should have been replaced later in the game, but we had already lost a few of the other leaders in team at that stage. Paul McConway going off definitely helped Kavanagh to finish even stronger.

Alan Mulhall ... superb keeper, one of the best in the country.

I also think the low sun into our eyes in the second half cant have helped the players heading towards the Arden Road end. Pity this game wasn't on Sunday afternoon; I'm sure it would have increased the attendance too which was disappointing.

We still have the makings of a good team, well capable of playing good effective and attractive Football. The disappointment clearly evident on the players at the end needs to be harnessed to motivate them for the Qualifiers. Most year's, there is a lowly team that comes through the back door with a good run. We can be that team. We should be that team. Come on Pat Flanagan, make us that team this year.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Agree totally with The Biff, from where I stood the call on Niall Smith was a scandal.
And this changed the whole dynamic of the game in the second half when we needed a ball winner.

The fact that a couple of Longford players survived the black card for the amount of deliberate cynical fouling was shocking too. That's not whinging, that's fact.

Back to what we could control, some of the decision making from Niall & Anton was unbelievable in the second half..and contributed to the break in momentum from our side.
The air of disappointment around the ground at the end was unreal, there was such a hunger for a championship win before this game (that even the free Carrolls Ham sandwiches) could not assuage. But all I want to say is to keep the faith lads, we have the bones of a decent side there but we do need a few breaks.
I know how hard they have worked and as some of the posters have said already, it would be a shame if they let it all go at this stage. Take a few days and get back on track.
Would like to wish Longford the best of luck for the game in Croker.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I think its important that we keep everything in perspective, while the defeat was a downer its important to remember how far the team has come in such a short space of time from where we were last year there have been signs of encouragement.

We know the team is capable of playing high quality football, we seen that in Croke park but as Pat said after the game, mentally they are not strong enough yet to back themselves when the proverbial hits the fan, that will come in time, as i said earlier painful lessons will have to be learned before we can progress and i agree there is the bones of a very good side there if they stick at it

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

John Bannon (from Longford) said this in today's Cork Examiner:

"I attended the Offaly-Longford Leinster Championship game on Saturday and that was always going to be a tough opening round encounter, it being their fifth meeting in 15 months. There were some bad calls for fair shoulders in the wake of Michael Quinn failing to win a free after he was the victim of a mistimed challenge in the eighth minute. Offaly’s Niall Smith was correctly black-carded for a body collide although a couple of yellow cards could have been issued to ensure better control of the game. Longford were fortunate on that count."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 31229.html

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It seemed to me that anyone who fell to the ground (how so ever caused) was awarded a free. Ger Canning would probably say "hands knees and boomps a daisies" as he sometimes does. Meanwhile steps and pick-ups were ignored.
Bord na Mona man wrote:John Bannon (from Longford) said this in today's Cork Examiner:

"I attended the Offaly-Longford Leinster Championship game on Saturday and that was always going to be a tough opening round encounter, it being their fifth meeting in 15 months. There were some bad calls for fair shoulders in the wake of Michael Quinn failing to win a free after he was the victim of a mistimed challenge in the eighth minute. Offaly’s Niall Smith was correctly black-carded for a body collide although a couple of yellow cards could have been issued to ensure better control of the game. Longford were fortunate on that count."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 31229.html
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Agree totally with The Biff, from where I stood the call on Niall Smith was a scandal.

Lets leave aside what should or should not have happened to players for other incidents throughout the game. Lets just look at Nialls case. The rule states a Black Card should be issued for the following:

"Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play"

Thats exactly what Niall did from what I saw, if its not then please tell me what he did do? Don't give examples of what Longford players did or didn't do just focus on Nialls black card.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/GAA ... 202015.pdf

Offaly should be in with the following in qualifiers
Carlow
Longford/ Dublin
Kildare/ Laois
Cavan/ Monaghan
Antrim/ Fermanagh
Roscommon/ London
Waterford/ Tipp

Think if they avoid Cavan/ Monaghan and Kildare/ Laois they have a good chance

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

bracknaghboy wrote:
ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Agree totally with The Biff, from where I stood the call on Niall Smith was a scandal.

Lets leave aside what should or should not have happened to players for other incidents throughout the game. Lets just look at Nialls case. The rule states a Black Card should be issued for the following:

"Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play"

Thats exactly what Niall did from what I saw, if its not then please tell me what he did do? Don't give examples of what Longford players did or didn't do just focus on Nialls black card.
I would agree with this 100% , I was standing in the terrace and saw it exactly I was delighted with the hit as I thought he had got away with it , it shook the shite out of the Longford lad , but didn't help our cause as we lost midfield after this.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Muck Savage wrote: I came back from the US on Friday night for the game and will head back to SF tomorrow, because I had a lot of hope for this team like everyone else.

Hopefully the squad take the defeat on the chin and work hard for the next day, I'm certainly planning to be back for it.
Some animal!
I hope you don't meet any of the panel heading out through Airport departures when you're arriving back next time.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

http://www.hoganstand.com/offaly/Articl ... ?ID=237646

No mention of the author of this piece
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

a well written piece i think.i dont know the author but his ommission isnt dont purposely id say as he doesnt reaaly say anything controversial?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

What has gone wrong with Offaly football?

Where has this person been? Like this is something new?

Some nice pieces of history there, but it seems a bit ill timed.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

biffinbanner wrote:a well written piece i think.i dont know the author but his ommission isnt dont purposely id say as he doesnt reaaly say anything controversial?
I presume the author is former Lebanese hostage Brian Keenan who spent years or captivity chained to a radiator, or else a member of Bin Laden's aides who was holed up in a cave. Otherwise how could they not have taken stock of Offaly's standing until last Saturday? What was the author expecting to see in Tellamore ffs? A mighty Offaly team, heirs to the golden generations of the 60s and 70s, putting whipping boys Longford to the sword?

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Not impressed with this "journalism", if it could be called such- it is an article published, so therefore must pass as such, but it fits more into the category of trolling as befits a wind-up post in a forum. Hard to know what exactly it's meant to be- putting the boot in after a demoralising defeat, or is it designed purposely as a Brolly-esque poster for a dressing room door?!!
Yes, Offaly has had it's troubles. No doubt there will be plenty of slips along the way to restoring competitiveness. But it's easy to admire a winning team- the real respect should go to those that soldier on in the tough times, paving the way to future success, with little reward for their own efforts.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Certainly three or four of the Offaly players in action were amonst the worst this writer has seen lining out at intercounty level.
I thought this was quite a caustic comment and unnecessary.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything