Mickey Brady R.I.P

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Mickey Brady R.I.P

Post by kingscounty »

Rip Mickey Brady , I am way to young to remember his exploits on the field but from listening to me auld he said Mickey was a good one . Two Leinster medals, two railway cup medals among his collection , a quick and skill full half back or half forward. Father of Peter another Offaly great , played in the all Ireland final in 61 with a record attendance of over 90,000 in croke park again Down , what a feeling that must have been . RIP.

club125
Senior

Re: Mickey Brady R.I.P

Post by club125 »

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis

A nice tribute here from Edenderry GAA......http://www.edenderrygaa.ie/news/sadpassingofmickbrady

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks for posting the Edenderry GAA tribute!

God Rest his Soul! - let's hope that spirit lives on in Offaly football!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I regret to learn of Mickey Brady’s passing.

My late father often told me of Mickey’s greatness in the half-back line in that so-near-and-yet-so-far 1954 – 1961 period, when they travelled by train from Banagher to Croke Park, of hot sweltering days in Portlaoise, of Morris Minors and Ford Anglias, of a lovely innocence.

Mickey’s 80 appearances for Offaly, between championship and league, is quite an amazing record of consistency given that there were no more than six NFL matches annually, and no championship back door. That’s apart from economic factors, the bleak 1950s and the emigration that robbed the county of Peter Nolan, the Furlongs and Tommy Greene. The legendary Mick Casey played 106 times in the same era, Seán Foran played 82 times and Mickey is next on the list.

Indeed, it was Peter Nolan’s emigration that necessitated Mickey’s moving from wing to centre half-back in 1960. Mickey was said to be too small for the position though he did just fine. I never met the man, so my mind’s eye can only conjure an image of his son, Peter, bursting out of defence to clear. That Down team revolutionised forward play in Gaelic football. They scored 2-10 and 1-12 against Kerry in the 1960 Final and 1961 semi-final respectively. Yet the Offaly defence restricted the Down machine to 1-10, 1-7 and 3-6 in the 1960 drawn semi-final, the replay and the 1961 Final respectively.

I pulled out the Faithful Pioneers book (Pádraig Foy & Ciarán Reilly, 2011) this evening and Mickey Brady retained regrets on the 1961 Final - “For me that day, the disappointments far outweigh the pleasures. It is a lasting regret and there isn’t a day goes by that it wouldn’t pop into my head and I will never forget it. After the work we put in to get there it was disappointing.”

May he Rest in Peace.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

A great servant to Offaly and may he rest in Peace.
Deepest sympathy to the Brady family and Edenderry GAA

Its another of the legends of the game gone to his eternal reward.